Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DCU: EXPERT LEVEL NEEDED STAT

tag
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

DCU: EXPERT LEVEL NEEDED STAT

Thanks to south jamica on another thread I found that one can pair a checking account and use it for overdraft for no fees and interest that should hover around 10.75.  this is exactly what I want.  when I went through checking app it must have done an inline sp because it offered me a card for $5K.  not to come off as jaded but that strikes me on the low side as most of my limits are 30+.  my question is should I just ignore it and cold app and will I have a better shot or will 5 be the max and just do a grab?  are cli hp's?  I want it for overdraft and $5K is a heck of a lot better than the $ 500 that nfcu is offering me.  any comments most welcome and thank you.

funny thread https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Personal-Finance/NFCU-CLOC-500-REALLY/td-p/5676869

myfico dcu.PNG

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: DCU: EXPERT LEVEL NEEDED STAT

DCU is conservative so I doubt they will give you more than the $5K. They review accounts every quarter though and you can get a SP CLI if it shows in the loan center. They don’t hike the APR on their cards for cash advances so it’s a much cheaper advance line than a CLOC or PLOC tend to be and they don’t have a cap on how much you can use for cash, you can pull the entire card if need be. There is a form you can have them email you that will let you use the VISA as your overdraft protection as well. 

Message 2 of 32
jaxstraw
Valued Contributor

@bourgogne wrote:

Thanks to south jamica on another thread I found that one can pair a checking account and use it for overdraft for no fees and interest that should hover around 10.75.  this is exactly what I want.  when I went through checking app it must have done an inline sp because it offered me a card for $5K.  not to come off as jaded but that strikes me on the low side as most of my limits are 30+.  my question is should I just ignore it and cold app and will I have a better shot or will 5 be the max and just do a grab?  are cli hp's?  I want it for overdraft and $5K is a heck of a lot better than the $ 500 that nfcu is offering me.  any comments most welcome and thank you.

funny thread https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Personal-Finance/NFCU-CLOC-500-REALLY/td-p/5676869

myfico dcu.PNG

Like SJ said they tend to be conservative with their CC's as compared to some other lenders.

That being said I'd call in tomorrow and explain the situation and see if you could get the SCL bumped to at least 10k.

While I rarely, if ever, have seen any SCL in the 20-30k range I have seen a fair amount at 10k.

Who knows ? Maybe you can get more.....you always have the 5k in your back pocket if it doesn't work.

Jax

*************************************************************************************
Then you are a fool. Be thankful that when God gave you a face, he gave you a fool's face
Message 3 of 32
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

thank you for both of your comments.  I just wrote to nfcu so I will see if they step up but i am not holding my breath.  re dcu, I am not sure what you mean, take the $5K and then call and try and get a larger starting limit?  kind of hard to believe but I have never done this, I have always gotten the limit I wanted. $10-20k would be great, 5 is a little on the short end just thinking re utilization.  fill me in!  thank you!!

Message 4 of 32
jaxstraw
Valued Contributor

@bourgogne wrote:

thank you for both of your comments.  I just wrote to nfcu so I will see if they step up but i am not holding my breath.  re dcu, I am not sure what you mean, take the $5K and then call and try and get a larger starting limit?  kind of hard to believe but I have never done this, I have always gotten the limit I wanted. $10-20k would be great, 5 is a little on the short end just thinking re utilization.  fill me in!  thank you!!

Call first before accepting it.

Give yourself a chance to talk to UW to see if it can be increased.

While the HP you took to open a checking account is good for 30 days for all credit products.... I'm not sure that if you accept it now and then call for an increase that would fall under that blanket.

Maybe it does but why take the chance when a simple phone call answers all questions ?

Jax

*************************************************************************************
Then you are a fool. Be thankful that when God gave you a face, he gave you a fool's face
Message 5 of 32
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@bourgogne wrote:

True, but it doesn't always work out that way for every lender.  Fingers crossed with NFCU [CLOC], but I would temper your expectations.  DCU is somewhat conservative, so $5K may not be a bad start, but it might be a challenge to persuade them to reconsider to $20K.

Message 6 of 32
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@jaxstraw wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

Call first before accepting it.

Give yourself a chance to talk to UW to see if it can be increased.

While the HP you took to open a checking account is good for 30 days for all credit products.... I'm not sure that if you accept it now and then call for an increase that would fall under that blanket.

Maybe it does but why take the chance when a simple phone call answers all questions ?

understood,  the process allows to save the app, I dont think the checking is done yet + I read nothing about a hardpull.  measure 2x cut 1x, I like your way of thinking, thank you.  they seem to at least have their portal act part of things together which is nice

Message 7 of 32
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

True, but it doesn't always work out that way for every lender.  Fingers crossed with NFCU [CLOC], but I would temper your expectations.  DCU is somewhat conservative, so $5K may not be a bad start, but it might be a challenge to persuade them to reconsider to $20K.

I have 0 expectations that nfcu will step up.  I told them to add a 0 for starters or give me $10k which would make me happy or to cancel the app and make it a sp so I can forget it ever happened.  maybe a touch snarky but its sent so there is no turning back lol.  I can see their position but to get $65.6K more from pnc a week ago on a sp it really makes me wonder about nfcu world.  I actually really like the dsu package and I worked for dec in the late 70s before ibm so its got a vibe for me.  if I got a dsu @ 10 I would walk away happy from it all, seems like if I use it a bit they might increase it over time.  I am really out of pratice with this stuff + chase and amex have ruined me for high limits.  even nfcu was an instant @ 25k 3 years ago.  live and learn..

Message 8 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

DCU doesn’t HP for membership. They use Chex and an EQ SP. 

Message 9 of 32
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

DCU doesn’t HP for membership. They use Chex and an EQ SP. 

yeah, I just read about  that.  you know the language on the card offer is interesting, says approved up to 5k but does that really mean it tops out @5? if nfcu bombs out which I think it will i am tempted to just app and recon for a higher limit after.   I like that they actually advertise the overdraft feature that i am looking for, on most cards it hidden.  like the interest.  just like it.  almost hope nfcu does not work out.  thank you for your comments on the topic, helpful

Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.