Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DCU vs NFCU Cards

tag
Jazee
Regular Contributor

DCU vs NFCU Cards

Wondering if there is a consensus is on how the DCU Platinum Visa and NFCU Platinum Visa compare.  I'm wanting to add a revolving account to my profile specifically for as-needed future use to temporarily carry a cash advance balance.  I'm looking to those instead of a Personal Line of Credited as I want to have the indefinite good payment history on my file as opposed to eventually having to close a personal line of credit account.

I'm already a DCU member and my Grandfather was in the Navy so I believe I qualify for NFCU.  Is there any required waiting period after signing up for NFCU to apply for cards to get the best chance of approval?  My TU Vantage 3 score is currently 743. My EX/EQ FICO 8 scores are typically in the 715-730 range.  My monthly total debt+rent payment to income ratio is about 27% ($96K / $8K pre-tax month income.) My credit UTI is currently 8% on $15K total credit.  I only have two revolvers and an auto loan as active accounts.

Anyone want to venture a guess how DCU VS NFCU would compare for someone with my numbers as far as (a) ease of approval, (b) starting credit limit, and (c) interest rate?

Even if the NFCU card ended up being a couple points lower interest, the cash advance APR is the regular rate + 2%.  DCU it's just the regular rate.  Both have no balance transfer fees.  Both have no cash advance fees (although NFCU charges a $1 I think if you withdraw from non NFCU ATM - big deal.)  I've also read a few past messages about DCU having abnormal delays in reporting balance changes.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: DCU vs NFCU Cards

Jusr going off what ive seen and experienced here on myFico, there really is no comparison  between the two.  Very few can defeat a Navy Platinum 25k limit AND its all super low 5.99 aprSmiley Wink.   I dont know how high how a DCU cc can get but Navy can reach 50 Gs, very doable on your incomeSmiley Wink

Ps,  i like cake and ice cream,  get bothSmiley Happy

Message 2 of 6
NotRalphKramden
New Contributor

@Jazee wrote:

Wondering if there is a consensus is on how the DCU Platinum Visa and NFCU Platinum Visa compare.  I'm wanting to add a revolving account to my profile specifically for as-needed future use to temporarily carry a cash advance balance.  I'm looking to those instead of a Personal Line of Credited as I want to have the indefinite good payment history on my file as opposed to eventually having to close a personal line of credit account.

I'm already a DCU member and my Grandfather was in the Navy so I believe I qualify for NFCU.  Is there any required waiting period after signing up for NFCU to apply for cards to get the best chance of approval?  My TU Vantage 3 score is currently 743. My EX/EQ FICO 8 scores are typically in the 715-730 range.  My monthly total debt+rent payment to income ratio is about 27% ($96K / $8K pre-tax month income.) My credit UTI is currently 8% on $15K total credit.  I only have two revolvers and an auto loan as active accounts.

Anyone want to venture a guess how DCU VS NFCU would compare for someone with my numbers as far as (a) ease of approval, (b) starting credit limit, and (c) interest rate?

Even if the NFCU card ended up being a couple points lower interest, the cash advance APR is the regular rate + 2%.  DCU it's just the regular rate.  Both have no balance transfer fees.  Both have no cash advance fees (although NFCU charges a $1 I think if you withdraw from non NFCU ATM - big deal.)  I've also read a few past messages about DCU having abnormal delays in reporting balance changes.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

I'm not faniliar with DCU,  but NFCU usually limits cash advances to 30% of the credit limit. Something to look at.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/NFCU-Adjusting-Cash-Advance-Limits-on-CCs-to-Anyone-El...

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you're already a DCU member check your loan suite, if pre-approved for the card it's usually without hard pull. I believe they tell you the limit.

Message 4 of 6
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I recently was approved for DCU so hopefully ill be able to see the difference lol.  Just waiting for my membership kit to arriveSmiley Wink

Message 5 of 6
ZackAttack
Established Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

Jusr going off what ive seen and experienced here on myFico, there really is no comparison  between the two.  Very few can defeat a Navy Platinum 25k limit AND its all super low 5.99 aprSmiley Wink.   I dont know how high how a DCU cc can get but Navy can reach 50 Gs, very doable on your incomeSmiley Wink

Ps,  i like cake and ice cream,  get bothSmiley Happy

I remember seeing a DCU post from someone that they have a CL of 50k. Their advice is to use the BTs for the limit.

Post, number 4

MSGCU Rewards | $8kDiscover Cash It | $10kAmex BCP | $15kBest Buy Visa | $20kChase Freedom Flex | $8kDCU Platinum | $8kNFCU Plat | $35kNFCU cashRewards | $24kAffinity FCU Cash Rewards | $7kAmazon Prime | 12.5kChase Unlimited | 16.4kUSAA Cashback Rewards Plus Amex | 10kAmex Business Cash | 10k

Loans
Ford Credit Car Loan 2-year 6/22/2023 ($299/month)
Closed
Michigan Schools & Gov't CU Titanium 1/4/2019 - 10/2/2020
Ford Credit Car Loan 3-year 7/31/2018-6/6/2021
$1,500 Discover Card 10/2/2020 - 8/18/2021
$3,500 Citi DC 10/14/2020 - 12/11/2021
$8,000 DCU Personal Loan 5-year 5.99% 10/2/2020 - 4/30/2021
$8,000 NFCU CashRewards 1/2/2021 - 7/30/2022
$5,000 MSGCU Personal Loan 3-year 7.75% 4/22/2022 - 10/30/2022
Ford Credit Car Loan 2-year 6/7/2021 - 6/22/2023
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.