FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: DISCOVER FORM 4506-T???

@CivalV wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@CivalV wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@CivalV wrote:

Well I received the dreaded 4506-C earlier today. I was approved for the Discover Miles with a $5500 SL. I have another Discover card thar was previously a secured card since 2018 .. I received two 4506-C emails and completed one. My account is not frozen & I did sign it but I believe they will close both of my accounts because part of my income is child support which is almost $20K a year alone. So now I am preparing for my scores to take a hit after rebuilding like crazy. Hoping AA doesn't go down the line like it always does smh 7B181B79-99E1-40B6-B380-D9571496EA79.png

That's a bummer OP.  Was this the Miles card you were approved on 5/11?  I suppose you can see how the outcome plays out once you submit the form.  So was the consent requested for both your Discover accounts?

Yeah for my 5/11 approval. super bummer. I believe they be closed based on DPs from other stories of this being requested and income not matching what is put on the application. It was requested for in two separate emails. I can only assume because I have two cards.. never had any issues with discover up until I opened the second card. I also just closed two cards, I am worried I will take a big hit for so many closed accounts and then AA will happen to my other accounts. Smiley Sad

Ok just wanted to double-check.  I understand the concern given the unexpected 4506-C request just popping like a big zit.  If the outcome doesn't play out in your favor, don't sweat it.  Yes, it is very unfortunate and disappointing, especially driven by the excitement of such a great milestone recently.  But, there will be others, so don't worry. 

If they get closed I don't foresee anyof the other lenders in your signature taking action.  Even if they SP when they perform their periodic account reviews, it's not like they're going to see something like... "Discover closed CivalV's accounts because of 4506-C".  All they'll see is the closures, that's it.  So, you can still move forward with another strategy.  Again, sorry this happened to you.

Sucks but its okay. Less cards and less worry. Always a positive in the negative. Im not sure why but I did receive an email from discover confirming my card was shipped today.. the approval was on 5/11 so I am not sure if they reviewed my account already. I still have access to my first discover account

Just like the saying goes, when one door closes another one opens.  Even without Discover, you will still be able to achieve your long term goals Smiley Happy  Btw, the card would have ordinarily shipped as scheduled so the 4506-C request doesn't really prevent the mailing of the card.  Definitely keep us posted on how everything turns out.

Message 341 of 361
Iusedtolurk
Established Contributor

Seems like more times than not whenever someone initiates some type of action outside of normal spend and pay Disco shoots out a 4506.

Requesting a CLI, Apping for a Second card, large cash advance etc.

It's like you are poking the 4506 bear.

Definitely see it happening a lot when getting a second card.

Message 342 of 361
NichelleN
Established Contributor

@Iusedtolurk wrote:

Seems like more times than not whenever someone initiates some type of action outside of normal spend and pay Disco shoots out a 4506.

I considered a second card when I checked Discover pre-approvals. My pre-approval came back with a very low rate and I almost applied. Then, I remembered all of the activity with 4506 requests and decided to skip it. I had to admit that I don't really need a second Discover card and checked myself back down to reality.

More than enough credit.
Message 343 of 361
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CivalV wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Ugh, I'm sorry to hear that this happened to you, @CivalV! Smiley Sad

Yeah I definitely was not expecting that 😣

Seems to be their modus operandi with second cards lately unfortunately. 

Message 344 of 361
Anonymous
Not applicable

> Seems to be their modus operandi with second cards lately unfortunately.

Question then, related to that.  I've had Discover and it's been my main card since 2014.  23.5k limit and have probably run 200-250k through it in that time.  They've been sending my wife preapproved mailers constantly lately, really nice terms.  She's an AU on my Disco.  We are filing jointly and we've always reported consistent with our tax returns.  The income's currently all mine but she reports it also per CARD Act 2009 and the CFPB update in 2013.  My paychecks are depositied in a joint account so we're 100% legal for her to claim my income AFAIK.

I think we're about ready to pull the trigger on a Disco for her (padding, possibly BT), but does this fit into the "poking the 4506-T bear" category for her or me?  We'll submit a 4506-T if need be, and it won't be a problem, but would like to know how likely it is.

Message 345 of 361
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Question then, related to that.  I've had Discover and it's been my main card since 2014.  23.5k limit and have probably run 200-250k through it in that time.  They've been sending my wife preapproved mailers constantly lately, really nice terms.  She's an AU on my Disco.  We are filing jointly and we've always reported consistent with our tax returns.  The income's currently all mine but she reports it also per CARD Act 2009 and the CFPB update in 2013.  My paychecks are depositied in a joint account so we're 100% legal for her to claim my income AFAIK.

I think we're about ready to pull the trigger on a Disco for her (padding, possibly BT), but does this fit into the "poking the 4506-T bear" category for her or me?  We'll submit a 4506-T if need be, and it won't be a problem, but would like to know how likely it is.

I guess it would be poking the bear moreso than not applying, since any request for credit with them could result in 4506T, but I don't think she needs to expect it or anything like that for her first card.  Some people do get a 4506T when they apply for their first Disco, but that seems to be pretty rare, at least judging by our approvals board.  If you file jointly, if the income she puts on the app matches your 2019 & 2018 tax returns, and if you don't mind submitting a 4506T should they decide to ask for it, I wouldn't worry about it.

Message 346 of 361
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

@Iusedtolurk wrote:

You got that right.

I especially see it with secured CC's and 2nd CC's. 

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 347 of 361
CivalV
Established Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@CivalV wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@CivalV wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@CivalV wrote:

Well I received the dreaded 4506-C earlier today. I was approved for the Discover Miles with a $5500 SL. I have another Discover card thar was previously a secured card since 2018 .. I received two 4506-C emails and completed one. My account is not frozen & I did sign it but I believe they will close both of my accounts because part of my income is child support which is almost $20K a year alone. So now I am preparing for my scores to take a hit after rebuilding like crazy. Hoping AA doesn't go down the line like it always does smh 7B181B79-99E1-40B6-B380-D9571496EA79.png

That's a bummer OP.  Was this the Miles card you were approved on 5/11?  I suppose you can see how the outcome plays out once you submit the form.  So was the consent requested for both your Discover accounts?

Yeah for my 5/11 approval. super bummer. I believe they be closed based on DPs from other stories of this being requested and income not matching what is put on the application. It was requested for in two separate emails. I can only assume because I have two cards.. never had any issues with discover up until I opened the second card. I also just closed two cards, I am worried I will take a big hit for so many closed accounts and then AA will happen to my other accounts. Smiley Sad

Ok just wanted to double-check.  I understand the concern given the unexpected 4506-C request just popping like a big zit.  If the outcome doesn't play out in your favor, don't sweat it.  Yes, it is very unfortunate and disappointing, especially driven by the excitement of such a great milestone recently.  But, there will be others, so don't worry. 

If they get closed I don't foresee anyof the other lenders in your signature taking action.  Even if they SP when they perform their periodic account reviews, it's not like they're going to see something like... "Discover closed CivalV's accounts because of 4506-C".  All they'll see is the closures, that's it.  So, you can still move forward with another strategy.  Again, sorry this happened to you.

Sucks but its okay. Less cards and less worry. Always a positive in the negative. Im not sure why but I did receive an email from discover confirming my card was shipped today.. the approval was on 5/11 so I am not sure if they reviewed my account already. I still have access to my first discover account

Just like the saying goes, when one door closes another one opens.  Even without Discover, you will still be able to achieve your long term goals Smiley Happy  Btw, the card would have ordinarily shipped as scheduled so the 4506-C request doesn't really prevent the mailing of the card.  Definitely keep us posted on how everything turns out.

I spoke to a rep who stated they could see EQ sent out the 4506-C and they could also see that it was signed. I asked what the turn around time would be and if my accounts would be closed or not. I did not get a clear answer *of course*.. My first discover card is not locked at all. I have read that they lock the accounts when they send out the form? I am still assuming they will close my accounts.. 

I realized I poked the bear due to my recent approvals.. had I not went for CITI DB .. MAYBE I would not be in this predicament lol 

Like you said this will not prevent me from reaching long term goals. One door closes another opens.. 

Message 348 of 361
CivalV
Established Contributor

I am not sure how to edit my previous comment but I just spoke to another rep over the phone. She made a note on my account stating that there is additional income that is not on my transcripts and that it will be considered. In the event the review is rejected they can always pull it again or appeal via email. I am honestly not jumping hoops for this. my CITI approval of $6K was smooth & I could care less having business with Discover after all of this. 

Message 349 of 361
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Unfortunately there is no way to know if it will happen or not. Just make sure you use the income from 2018 or 2019 so that it's verifiable just in case. I wouldn't see her app causing you to get a 4506-T because an AU card means she isn't responsible for it so likely won't even throw up a red flag as far as you're concerned but the key is to make sure the income is verifiable. Sounds like you don't have a problem with that so you wouldn't have to worry so much. 

Message 350 of 361
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.