cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Declined for Chase Freedom - Is Recon Worth It?

tag
joeyoey
Frequent Contributor

Declined for Chase Freedom - Is Recon Worth It?

Hi everyone,

So I've been hoping to apply for a Chase card for a few months.  I really wanted the CSP but decided to go with the Freedom because of the quarterly promos.  

Well, I got the 30 day message last night.  I tried calling today to check the status & to see if there was any information they needed to help make a decision & was immediately shot down.  They said I had too many cards open...which probably looks accurate at first glance, but most have zero balance and the ones I use I have for specific purposes & are paid off or mostly paid off each month...the AMEX BCE Pref for gas & groceries (& is also my everyday card for most things), my Chase Amazon for Amazon & restaurant purchases, my Cap One Venture for business expenses for miles, my Discover IT also for the quarterly promos. I also have another Cap One Venture One & an AMEX Delta Skymiles that I don't use & the balances are 0.  I have lots of other store cards that I opened up while I was trying to rebuild my credit (also 0 balances).  They're basically in a drawer & I'll never use them again.

So my question is...is there another number I can call?  Is it worth even trying?  This morning I was just sort of shocked & didn't even push back...just thanked her for the info & hung up.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Joey

Starting Score (02/01/2014): EQ 548 EX 548 TU 564
Current/Most Recent FICO Score (4/01/2015): EQ 686 EX 668 TU 669
Nov 1, 2015 Goal: 700 Across all 3

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

test

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
uswala
Senior Contributor

Re: Declined for Chase Freedom - Is Recon Worth It?

In my opinion a recon never hurts! 

Message 2 of 23
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

How long have you had the Chase Amazon?

Limit?

Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@uswala wrote:

In my opinion a recon never hurts! 

I agree. If its a card you really want the worst that could happen is the answer will still be no in which case you could just wait 3-4 months and apply again. Go for the recon goodluck Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 23
joeyoey
Frequent Contributor

Rejected again!   Smiley Mad   Oh well, I'm going to wait about 6 months & try again.  The Amazon card is actually pretty new so maybe after a few months of using that & making payments it'll help when I re-apply.

test

Message 5 of 23
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@joeyoey wrote:

Rejected again!   Smiley Mad   Oh well, I'm going to wait about 6 months & try again.  The Amazon card is actually pretty new so maybe after a few months of using that & making payments it'll help when I re-apply.

what's pretty new?

I find that I need 30 days between apps.

Message 6 of 23
uswala
Senior Contributor

@joeyoey wrote:

So sorry for you Smiley Sad

Message 7 of 23
jon22guitar
Regular Contributor

I know some will disagree, but close your old store cards or any cards you are not using! 

You're not here for a toy limit; you're a big dog here for a nice, juicy prime card! Smiley Very Happy

CSP 10,000, Citi Forward 3400, Barclay Arrival+ 2750, BOA Travel Rewards 2700, Discover IT 1500, Chase Freedom 1000, Crap One 500
Message 8 of 23
jon22guitar
Regular Contributor

Try for Freedom in 6 months, then CSP 3-6 months after that. 

CSP 10,000, Citi Forward 3400, Barclay Arrival+ 2750, BOA Travel Rewards 2700, Discover IT 1500, Chase Freedom 1000, Crap One 500
Message 9 of 23
joeyoey
Frequent Contributor

What does everyone think about the toy cards?  Should I close them or just let them close on their own evetually from non-use?  I'm not too worried about it affecting my utilization % except for Overstock, that has a $2200 limit.  The others are all $250-$450.  If I close all of these, my lowest limit card would be $2000 & highest $5000. 

test

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.