Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delta Gold Amex odds

tag
tbea1004
Frequent Contributor

Delta Gold Amex odds

I was just denied 2 weeks ago for Amex platinum with a EX 729 and 5 inquiries in the last 6 months, 2% util with the reason of too many new accounts and too many inquiries. Well 2 days ago I received a mailer/invitation to apply for the Delta Gold Amex with 70k points promotion. My score had went up 2 points to 731 after the first of the month lol, every point counts. I went ahead and applied and got the still processing we will let you know in 14 days message.. Do I have a chance? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Delta Gold Amex odds

You have a chance but, it probably went pending due to the lack of time between apps.  I would call and see what the status is during normal business hours if they need to confirm any info to push it through.  This card in particular seems to be easier to get than some of the others from reports around here over the years.

You would think a Charge card would be easier since it's PIF each month but,, the UW is a little more stringent.

Message 2 of 23
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@tbea1004 wrote:
I was just denied 2 weeks ago for Amex platinum with a EX 729 and 5 inquiries in the last 6 months, 2% util with the reason of too many new accounts and too many inquiries. Well 2 days ago I received a mailer/invitation to apply for the Delta Gold Amex with 70k points promotion. My score had went up 2 points to 731 after the first of the month lol, every point counts. I went ahead and applied and got the still processing we will let you know in 14 days message.. Do I have a chance? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

If it wasn't a targeted pre-approval, I'm afraid it was just marketing and may be another decline. Hopefully, it's not.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your scores in a vacuum would get you any Amex product you could apply for. I’m not sure what they may be seeing that they don’t like, but for some reason your profile is giving them pause. If this is a No, see what the reason is that’s given and post up. We may be able to give you some insight.
Message 4 of 23
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Your scores in a vacuum would get you any Amex product you could apply for. I’m not sure what they may be seeing that they don’t like, but for some reason your profile is giving them pause. If this is a No, see what the reason is that’s given and post up. We may be able to give you some insight.

It sounds like it's the new accounts and inquiries...a reason that likely has not changed after just two weeks (and potentially a fresh inquiry from the Platinum app).

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can see that, but at the same time I had several new accounts and inquiries when I got my first cards with Amex, and more yet when I got subsequent cards (that may have been offset by being an existing member though).
Message 6 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tbea1004 wrote:

I was able to get approved for a Amex Delta Gold with scores around 600 about 1.5 years ago. Go to their prequal site and see if it gives you an offer to "expand" or a "pre-qualified" offer. This will give you a confirmed preapproval before you waste a HP, click on the terms and conditions of the offer and if it is a solid APR (not a range) then it is a go.

Also, is there a reason you want the platinum so bad that you reapplied after just two weeks? If you just want airline points the delta gold is the way to go.

Message 7 of 23
tbea1004
Frequent Contributor

app status still says in progress after 3 days.. I call yesterday and rep said he would personally call me today to let me know status approved/denied but i do not believe he will call. i checked the pre qualify and it said i was pre qualified for the delta gold not pre approved.. fingers crossed
Message 8 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was denied for the gold card yesterday for pretty much the same reasons, with a EX of 754. I got approved for the Delta gold today. SL of only $1k though.
Message 9 of 23
tbea1004
Frequent Contributor

I will take 1k.. I am just trying to get my foot in the door at this point. The rep never called me and it is now the fourth day.. Im thinking about calling back but i probably just wait it out.
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.