Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied AMEX CLI 181 days...important lesson learned

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Denied AMEX CLI 181 days...important lesson learned

I was surprised they denied me, but I see their point too.... I think I should have waited until my newest Amex card's payment has posted...I have to admit I was riding the 700+ credit score high. I can't remember the last time I was told 'no'. 

A little Amex history:

I have 4 revolvers with Amex and a PRG. My PRG had large(r) balance. I purchased our summer vacation the day after the statement closed in April. The payment was due yesterday, with auto pay for the statement balance set up. I always PIF. 

The only other card I carry a balance on is CareCredit. I always use the 0% financing. I do carry a balance on the card. In April, $2800/$15000. I needed to pay for son's wisdom tooth removal and other oral surgery and added another $4700. So the, May statement posted with small  $180 payment made and $7320/$15000 balance. 

I asked for 3xCLI for my Delta Gold card $2k-$6k on 5/31, and received the 7-10 notice. Smiley Sad

I received the denial letter today. The reason are:

--Length of time as an AMEX customer. Yep, I've only been a customer for 9 months.

--The number of credit card accounts on which, in our estimation, you have not paid the majority of the balance in recent months as indicated in your credit report.  Yep, I can see their reasoning. 

I think my spending in the last 60 days spooked them. I'll try again in 90 days, make sure my all AMEX accounts only have normal spend and make sure paid before statement posts. CareCredit will be under 40% utilization. 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Denied AMEX CLI 181 days...important lesson learned

@Anonymous wrote:

I was surprised they denied me, but I see their point too.... I think I should have waited until my newest Amex card's payment has posted...I have to admit I was riding the 700+ credit score high. I can't remember the last time I was told 'no'. 

A little Amex history:

I have 4 revolvers with Amex and a PRG. My PRG had large(r) balance. I purchased our summer vacation the day after the statement closed in April. The payment was due yesterday, with auto pay for the statement balance set up. I always PIF. 

The only other card I carry a balance on is CareCredit. I always use the 0% financing. I do carry a balance on the card. In April, $2800/$15000. I needed to pay for son's wisdom tooth removal and other oral surgery and added another $4700. So the, May statement posted with small  $180 payment made and $7320/$15000 balance. 

I asked for 3xCLI for my Delta Gold card $2k-$6k on 5/31, and received the 7-10 notice. Smiley Sad

I received the denial letter today. The reason are:

--Length of time as an AMEX customer. Yep, I've only been a customer for 9 months.

--The number of credit card accounts on which, in our estimation, you have not paid the majority of the balance in recent months as indicated in your credit report.  Yep, I can see their reasoning. 

I think my spending in the last 60 days spooked them. I'll try again in 90 days, make sure my all AMEX accounts only have normal spend and make sure paid before statement posts. CareCredit will be under 40% utilization. 

In a few months you'll likely have no trouble at all getting a CLI, but I'll add that you've already done quite well having five of their cards in only nine months!

Hang in there... for some of us they take a little longer to grow but it'll happen!  Smiley Wink

Edited to add:   While the reference to the Care Credit balance was mentioned as a reason for the denial, the likely underlying (true) issue was the first one... if it weren't for your short tenure with them I doubt the second issue would have been a concern.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.