cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied AMEX card with 840 score due to a closed card from 6 months ago, do I have to wait 30 days...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Denied AMEX card with 840 score due to a closed card from 6 months ago, do I have to wait 30 days...

Hello, 

I applied for an AMEX card because I am doing refinance and I receive cash back if I have an AMEX card when I close. I applied for the Blue Cash card and to my shock I was denied. I have 840 FICO and the card was closed SIX months ago.

AMEX told me I have to wait 30 days to apply for any AMEX card again otherwise it will be automatically denied, is this true? I really want any AMEX card to receive this credit and I think I will close on the refinance before then. This is crazy to me. 

Thank you 

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Denied AMEX card with 840 score due to a closed card from 6 months ago, do I have to wait 30 day

Yes, you have to wait 30 days to reapply or call customer service and ask for a second review

Message 2 of 23
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Denied AMEX card with 840 score due to a closed card from 6 months ago, do I have to wait 30 day

Yes, any additional applications submitted will be denied automatically.  Can you be more specific on why you were denied due to closing a card 6 months ago?  Was there an unsatisfactory relationship?  Did you receive a Welcome Offer and close the card soon after opening it?

Message 3 of 23
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Unless something has changed in the last 6 months, it's possible to be approved less than 30 days after a denial. I've done it twice. The first time was only 8 or so days later. And, I reapplied for the same cards, so it's not like I jumped to a different to try and circumvent the rule. 

EDIT: I guess COVID would be what's different.

Message 4 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I asked for a second review and they basically said they don't do that. 

The letter said cancelled too many accounts recently. It was 6 months ago and I had the card for a year, always on time and there wasn't anything unsatisfactory. 

Interesting Brian, if I apply before 30 days and get denied again, does the clock restart for another 30 days after the 2nd application or is it still 30 days from the first application? 

Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

If nothing has changed, why would you immediately apply again and expect a different result?  If something changed for the better (score, utilization, etc) maybe, but just to apply again with the same credit profile will equal the same denial. 

Message 6 of 23
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous, Welcome to the forums, sorry for your denialSmiley Sad

Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Creditsweeper, 

I would apply for a different AMEX card and maybe the criteria are less stringent? Also at the time of application the closure of the card was just under 6 months and now it's over 6 months, so hoping that would make a difference? 

Message 8 of 23
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I asked for a second review and they basically said they don't do that. 

The letter said cancelled too many accounts recently. It was 6 months ago and I had the card for a year, always on time and there wasn't anything unsatisfactory. 

Interesting Brian, if I apply before 30 days and get denied again, does the clock restart for another 30 days after the 2nd application or is it still 30 days from the first application? 

It's supposed to be after a successful app that was denied. In the case of them auto-denying, I would think that the clock wouldn't restart.

Message 9 of 23
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Also, while we've had some outliers, Amex corporate has said no recons at this time due to covid.

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.