Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied Amazon Prime Credit Card (Chase)

tag
lovelife2
New Contributor

Denied Amazon Prime Credit Card (Chase)

I rarely apply for credit cards, been years, i am very conservative, but decided to go for it, since i shop at Amazon alot, never assumed it would be denied.   Chase pulled Experian and Equifiax (i froze them right back).    Too many inquiries and new bank account (WF & HYSA Marcus), called and - no budge.    7 point drop on Experian, and 6 point drop on Equifax.   I will show lots of love to my Amex BCP/Citi DC which gets lots of business from Amazon.   Oh well, i guess i didnt need it.   Was gonna go for the Verizon CC, no way.    Wont apply for another card for many years.   Denials are brutal.    

DP's

FICO - 785, 797 & 804

Util  -1% to 3% 
Total CL $73k

Income $140k

Inquiries 5 each bureau (bought home in 2019, lender pulled reports 5 times in 8 months)

Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Denied Amazon Prime Credit Card (Chase)

@lovelife2 wrote:

I rarely apply for credit cards, been years, i am very conservative, but decided to go for it, since i shop at Amazon alot, never assumed it would be denied.   Chase pulled Experian and Equifiax (i froze them right back).    Too many inquiries and new bank account (WF & HYSA Marcus), called and - no budge.    7 point drop on Experian, and 6 point drop on Equifax.   I will show lots of love to my Amex BCP/Citi DC which gets lots of business from Amazon.   Oh well, i guess i didnt need it.   Was gonna go for the Verizon CC, no way.    Wont apply for another card for many years.   Denials are brutal.    

DP's

FICO - 785, 797 & 804

Util  -1% to 3% 
Total CL $73k

Income $140k

Inquiries 5 each bureau (bought home in 2019, lender pulled reports 5 times in 8 months)

Chase be crazy denying a profile like yours especially after 2 pulls.  Dont worry, there are better options than a Bank who has so much money that they can choose with whom to approve, so can you do the same. Discovrr often has good Amazon quarters or even Amazon card by Sync is a good option. It takes a strong MFer to apply many ccs lol  and getting used to  denials isnt easy unless your name is Average JoeSmiley Wink

Message 2 of 35
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

@lovelife2 wrote:

DP's

FICO - 785, 797 & 804

Util  -1% to 3% 
Total CL $73k

Income $140k

Chase be crazy denying a profile like yours especially after 2 pulls.  Dont worry, there are better options than a Bank who has so much money that they can choose with whom to approve, so can you do the same. Discovrr often has good Amazon quarters or even Amazon card by Sync is a good option. It takes a strong MFer to apply many ccs lol  and getting used to  denials isnt easy unless your name is Average JoeSmiley Wink

Well, which lender cannot choose whom to approve? 

You're making it sound as if that's something specific to Chase..

I didn't see the same reaction when AimHigh got denied for NFCU card. 

In fact, it went something like " NFCU us great, you just need more time"

This is no different 

Maybe OP needs more time. 

Message 3 of 35
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

@lovelife2 wrote:

DP's

FICO - 785, 797 & 804

Util  -1% to 3% 
Total CL $73k

Income $140k

Hi,

Sorry for your denial, I am surprised. Can we get more information?

What's your 5/24?

How many cards do you have with Chase and what are their credit limits?

Message 4 of 35
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Denials are a part of credit if you have been around long enough even with the best profile one will be denied.  Shrug it off and dont be scared as inquiries are way overrated imho and most others will agree with this.  Sorry about your denial none-the-less.

Message 5 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remedios wrote:

@lovelife2 wrote:

DP's

FICO - 785, 797 & 804

Util  -1% to 3% 
Total CL $73k

Income $140k

This is no different 

Ah, c'mon Rem - That's just because NFCU *IS* awesome, and Chase is, well.... Chase...

#neverchase 

Message 6 of 35
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

@lovelife2  I feel your sentiment about Chase. I too was denied for the same card 2 weeks ago! Reason: too many inq(4)

I got a respond in less then 5 sec and even when I tried to recon, they could not override computers decision. I spend half hour doing the recon, and at the end the clown asked me WHY I want Amazon Prime card!!????

Given they denied your profile for not even 1K SL is stupid. I'm sure they have their formula that would not approve you, but does not escape the FACT that is stupid.

Message 7 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just a guess: Chase's contract with Amazon might give Chase discretion with respect to approval criteria. If Chase wasn't pleased with the profitability of the arrangement they could tightly restrict approvals.

In other words, it's possible this has more to do with Chase than with you.

Message 8 of 35
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

@lovelife2 wrote:

DP's

FICO - 785, 797 & 804

Util  -1% to 3% 
Total CL $73k

Income $140k

This is no different 

Sorry, i stick by my post. Of course ALL lenders can pick and choose  who they want to approve. And im not talking about @Aim_High  here.   We arent talking about a Chase CSR here but the Amazon card which with a profile such as OPs , should have had a better chance. Im not going to read all of Ops post to find out all details that may have been left out , im going by what i read in op.  When i wrote this post i was talking about Chase and my opinion, anyone wants to read past that is free  to do so as you have and thats your opinion as i have mine. 

Message 9 of 35
lovelife2
New Contributor

Hi 

I dont have any credit cards with Chase, i had a Washington Mutual (WaMu- went belly up) credit card many years ago and (checking/savings account), and when Chase took over within 60/90 days they axed the limit to almost nothing and 30 days later closed the credit card ($0 owing), they refused to give me a product change to get a new card (i didnt meet the criteria to have a product with them).    I walked into Chase bank and closed my checking/savings account shortly after, they werent kind to me at all and quite put out, other than that I really have had no history with them over the years, and this was many years ago.   I didnt have the best credit back in 2008 (maybe mid 600's i think).  Not sure when Chase took over, as i never BK or defaulted on them.     I am still not good enough after all these years.   Oh well.   No big, not loosing sleep over it.  I shredded the letter they sent me.  

The WaMu history brought back memories, i am sure I am not alone in what happened. 

Here are my current credit cards and limit.  

Citi DC - 17,300

Citi Simplicty - 17,000

Amex BCP - 19,000

Discover - 8,000

Alaska FCU Visa - 12000

Amex Green - 0 

Message 10 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.