Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied - American Express Platinum

tag
PointsBonus
Established Contributor

Re: Denied - American Express Platinum

@805orbust wrote:

I believe the general consensus with the big boys is that patience is a necessity. This is a long game. Especially when it comes to Chase, Amex, and the other "prime" issuers. You're doing good, you've got in the door, now it's time to move the rake around and fertilize a bit. If it were me (well, actually it WAS me 10 years ago), I would just relax and let the process work. Congratulations on your progress thus far.

+1

Message 21 of 29
babygirl1256
Senior Contributor

Does anyone know when AmEx updates their scores?I registered for the AmEx MyCredit Guide and it reflects my TU score as 802 . . . but I'm not sure that's correct and it stated, "Based on VantageScore 3.0 as of 5/20/2021. I pulled my AmEx original approval paperwork from 3/21/2021 and it reflects: Experian FICO Score 738 . . . I'm trying to decide whether I should wait about 6 months for the SP CLI.

AmEx My Credit Guide 2021-05-20.jpg

Starting FICO 8 Score in 06/2019: EQ-625, TU-649, EX-640
Current FICO 8 Score in 06/2021: EQ-796, TU-806, EX-812
Goal FICO 8 Score in 06/2022: EQ-825, TU-850, EX-850
Message 22 of 29
babygirl1256
Senior Contributor

@wmr0919 Interesting . . . my AmEx was opened 3/21/2021 with a $5k SL and I'm approaching my 61 days and wanted to hit the luv button . . . Did you call AmEx recon? If so, what was the result. Thanks for posting.

Message 23 of 29
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@babygirl1256 wrote:

Does anyone know when AmEx updates their scores?I registered for the AmEx MyCredit Guide and it reflects my TU score as 802 . . . but I'm not sure that's correct and it stated, "Based on VantageScore 3.0 as of 5/20/2021. I pulled my AmEx original approval paperwork from 3/21/2021 and it reflects: Experian FICO Score 738 . . . I'm trying to decide whether I should wait about 6 months for the SP CLI.

Don't waste your time trying to figure out what AMEX is going to do based upon your TU Vantage score.

Look up your Experian FICO 8 score by logging in online and going as shown below.  RIght at the bottom you'll see a hyperlink to view your FICO score, and if you click on it you'll see your score, the date it was pulled, and a graph showing the datapoints they collected over the last 12 months. 

a picture can be worth 1000 wordsa picture can be worth 1000 words

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 24 of 29
babygirl1256
Senior Contributor

@coldfusion Awesome . . . Thanks for posting!!!

Message 25 of 29
SPChaser
Established Contributor

@wmr0919 wrote:

Hi All,

So I posted an app spree last week that you can read here

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Results-of-Applying-for-6-cards-yesterday/td-...

I've spent a ton of time over the past week reading these forums, historical posts on Amex from this site but haven't been able to find really good concrete answers. As you can see in my linked thread, my Experian was in the 720s. This was a recent jump around May 13th and I wanted to capitalize on it. As mentioned in that thread, I got approved for the AMEX Blue (SL of $1k). I did think I'd get more to start but have read about the AMEX 1K limits and was just happy to get in with AMEX. Today I decided to pull the trigger (despite no pre-approval) on an Amex platinum card since it's just a soft pull. I immediately was denied and in their reasoning the score given was 651. The denial even states that the score is for May 18th which isn't correct either. Looking through the Experian site (and many other apps), they clearly used an older score to deny me for the Platinum. I haven't received anything to confirm but I'm going to guess that is also the reason I got a 1k limit with the Everyday Blue.

Now before anyone hates that I applied and didn't have a pre-approva, I knew this was a gamble but it was just a SP. If you look into many of the threads discussing Amex pre-approvals, theres countless people who cold apped and got it so I thought I'd throw the dice.

My questions are

1) Has anyone been able to confirm (or have a good idea) on when Amex would update this?

2) Is there anything I can do to get them to use a current score?

3) If I call them, would approving a hard pull mean an updated score?

3) If I call them and tell the situation (with the blue and denied platinum), do you think they'd do a recon on both?

@wmr0919 looks like we're in the same screwy Amex situation. My DW has been dealing with the same issue with Amex since April. So we're waiting until June 3rd-5th to wait till Amex updates her scores finally to what they should be and not what they were back in late December - January. At the time she applied in April, her scores were ranging from 840-850  across CRAs for FICO 8 for a SP app for the Aspire and 3x CLI request for Delta; she already had the Delta - got in with a 1k SL for at least a year and later was offered upgrade to Platinum, which she accepted.

They denied her Aspire app and 3x CLI for Delta stating her score was 629. We were shocked at this and even after multiple recon attempts and willingness to allow HP to acquire current info, we were stonewalled with the policy csr states they do not do HPs on current customers. We even escalated the matter and got same response because they're system itself would not allow a HP. 

As I said earlier, the plan now is too basically wait it out until June to make sure we're good to go with way higher scores for 3x CLI request - deciding to wait on Aspire a bit since I took the hit for approval and got it; btw she's never requested a CLI prior to April on card. Our research says that Amex usually updates their scores on the 3rd - 5th then one should wait 2-3 weeks after to ensure enough time has passed for internal score updates. We haven't had that luck and it appears that scores may update every other month. Hopefully in June we'll finally get that CLI. 
“Play the game, but don't believe in it“
Message 26 of 29
HoneyBrown2

How old are the scores that AMEX use?

Message 27 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HoneyBrown2 wrote:

after you see the update to fico score on app I believe 2-3 weeks after I applied a week after that update showed used a old score waited another week and the new score finally showed in the letter

Message 28 of 29
HoneyBrown2

@Anonymous wrote:

@HoneyBrown2 wrote:

after you see the update to fico score on app I believe 2-3 weeks after I applied a week after that update showed used a old score waited another week and the new score finally showed in the letter

Thank you.

Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.