Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied Amex credit limit increase, PA for Amex Plat

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Denied Amex credit limit increase, PA for Amex Plat

I was denied a credit limit increase on my Amex blue cash everyday card a few weeks ago, my limit is currently $500. I asked for a 5k increase. I’ve now been targeted for the 100k points platinum bonus. I got the card when my CS was in the mid 600s and CU was around 35%. CS is now in the mid 700s and CU is under 4 percent. Could the CL increase deny be because they’re hoping I apply for the platinum?
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Denied Amex credit limit increase, PA for Amex Plat

Deny has nothing to do with the platinum offering.. I speculate that your 500 CL was back when your scores were alot lower than they are today maybe in the 630-650 range and just squeaking in?  Possibly the case?  You might just be better off applying for a new revolver depending upon how long you have had that 500 card for also no way amex would give you the CLI you asked for the most you would of gotten is 1500 as 3x cli is the most they would give, but they would of countered you if they were comfortable with the 1500 amount.  You can try again in 91 days or once you get a CLI you can try every 181 days.  That applies across all their cards as they treat them all as one.

With regards to the platinum and you being targeted at 100k i am a bit suprised with that as that is a rare offer and if you value mr's i would be all over that if their is no life time bonus language in it or you never had that flavor of platinum before as believe you said you had a charles schwab before?  If you can digest the AF and value the benefits i would grab that.  

500 Amex's are hard to get to grow as they are kinda "bucketed" from what i have seen with Amex as stated that means you barely got approved.

Message 2 of 12
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I was denied a credit limit increase on my Amex blue cash everyday card a few weeks ago, my limit is currently $500. I asked for a 5k increase. I’ve now been targeted for the 100k points platinum bonus. I got the card when my CS was in the mid 600s and CU was around 35%. CS is now in the mid 700s and CU is under 4 percent. Could the CL increase deny be because they’re hoping I apply for the platinum?

Hi and welcome

What do you mean by targeted? What exactly did you get?

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

How long have you had the Amex BCE card?  Many times when an account is approved with only a $500 limit, is is placed in Amex's version of "credit steps" where you need to satisfy specific conditions before being granted a 2X CLI after 6 months.  Did you ever get an e-mail from American Express outlining the steps you need to take before they would give you a CLI?

The 100K Membership Rewards points offer for signing up for a Platinum card is not related to the denial.  More than anything else it occurred because you now have a much better credit report/rating than when you signed up for the BCE.

Message 4 of 12
hawkins
Frequent Contributor

I had the same card and limit when I got into AMEX. Took 6 months for me but I started getting preappovals for everything they had after that. Now I have the max 5 revolvers and one charge card. The sole BCE I initially got I hardly ever used I PCd to the Cash Magnet and still never use it. I only use my business cards. Amex increased the Magnet to a $1000 themselves I did not ask for it. So give it time. You will get a lot from them if you stick with it.
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

The offer showed up when I used the CardMatch tool. I’ve had the card since 2016. I’ve had offers to upgrade to a different card show up in the app before, but never a CLI.
Message 6 of 12
addicted_to_credit
Established Contributor

Would the platinum fit your needs? That’s the biggest question.... IMHO a 500 af is a pretty big pill to swallow especially if there isn’t really a need for it. If there isn’t I’d look at another revolver and if you have a need for the platinum and don’t mind the fee that comes with it then it might be a good fit for you.

undefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedMy ImageMy ImageMy ImageMy Image
Message 7 of 12
Berk
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You were denied because you can only get a CLI of $1000 with a CL of $500. Maybe pushed to $1500 if lucky.

Message 8 of 12
CCrew
Regular Contributor

Something similar, I hit the LUV button a couple weeks ago for my Cash Magnet simply because I was in the allow window, and got a 7-10 day the letter for which I have yet to see. I have a $3k limit on it and a $10k on my BCE, and a Gold card,  and get this every time now on login. 

Screenshot 2019-09-17 12.25.15.png

Message 9 of 12
kudosalert
Frequent Contributor

why wouldnt they offer you the Platinum? it's a big AF and they want you to pay it. dont be surprised if your actual spending power is closer to your other Amex card once approved though. no preset spending limit doesnt mean they'll give you a Platinum with 20k on it.

In my wallet:

In my desk:
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.