tag
privacyadvocate69
Contributor

Denied: BOA cash back rewards card

753 Fico at Experian.

Denied:
1). Too many accounts opened recently.
2). Insufficient relationship with BOA.

What a great way to ensure I remain having an insufficient relationship with BOA.

No skin off my nose. I just wanted the SUB anyway. Still kinda surprised.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Denied: BOA cash back rewards card

That's unfortunate. If you haven't done so already, call the back door number and request a reconsideration.

If the denial stands, those two denial reasons appear easy to overcome. Depending on how bad you want the SUB, wait 6 months of no new accounts. Perhaps open a checking or savings account if you don't have one.
Message 2 of 10
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

You and I are on the same page here. The exact same page. The only difference is that I’ve applied three times for this card. 

Sorry about the denial! BOA no likey some people. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 13k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 3 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Scores are meaningless. Ive learned the hardway you could have an 850 and the Banks dont care. Size up chances of approval by other aspects of your report.
Message 4 of 10
privacyadvocate69
Contributor

I’m not really worried about it. Hell, I don’t blame them. I had no intention of being a real customer.

As for accounts..when I applied, I had not opened a new account for over a year. I don’t think waiting six months will matter much. In between Applying for that BOA card and receiving the denial letter, I was approved for and received and started spending on the Apple Card (with $15K limit). BOA can get bent (;

I am not desperate for their $250 or whatever the SUB is. I can “make” a lot more than that simply by not logging into Amazon for a month (:
Message 5 of 10
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@privacyadvocate69 wrote:
753 Fico at Experian.

Denied:
1). Too many accounts opened recently.
2). Insufficient relationship with BOA.

What a great way to ensure I remain having an insufficient relationship with BOA.

No skin off my nose. I just wanted the SUB anyway. Still kinda surprised.

The real reason was #1. They just threw in #2 to turn the screws. Yep, more fish in the sea. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 6 of 10
kdm31091
Super Contributor

BoA has certainly tightened up within the past year or so, and score isn't everything. I think more and more lenders are scrutinizing against "too many new accounts" and that the "too many" number keeps shrinking. I don't know that every bank will go as far as Chase's 5/24, but it does seem things are tightening.

With credit card decisions, score matters in the sense that they don't want unreliable borrowers, but I think once you have a good to excellent score, the score matters less and it becomes about analyzing your profile to see if you look like a churner/unprofitable customer or something along those lines. Despite a high score, they don't want you. They want long term customers.

In any event, since you took the pull, there's no real harm in calling reconsideration, although BoA recon results have gotten less impressive over the years.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Stinks about the hard, how many new accounts is last 24?
Message 8 of 10
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

BoA has certainly tightened up within the past year or so, and score isn't everything. I think more and more lenders are scrutinizing against "too many new accounts" and that the "too many" number keeps shrinking. I don't know that every bank will go as far as Chase's 5/24, but it does seem things are tightening.

With credit card decisions, score matters in the sense that they don't want unreliable borrowers, but I think once you have a good to excellent score, the score matters less and it becomes about analyzing your profile to see if you look like a churner/unprofitable customer or something along those lines. Despite a high score, they don't want you. They want long term customers.

In any event, since you took the pull, there's no real harm in calling reconsideration, although BoA recon results have gotten less impressive over the years.

+1

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 9 of 10
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

+2

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.