Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied BoA Secured..Bummer

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Denied BoA Secured..Bummer

Hi OP! I'm really sorry to hear of your denial. Just so you know, in another post, where I was considering the BOA secured (haven't taken the plunge yet), I was told that if denied at first to call in to BOA and ask to speak to the secured card department. I was told that there are credit analysts there who have authority to override the denial. Maybe, if it is explained that the high utilization is due to an authorized user card and not your personal card, someone might be willing to listen. 

Good luck. 

Message 11 of 16
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Yes op, i would definitely get removed from your moms card because if you keep showing 85% utilization , even though its her card, its gonna hold back your credit journey. If she constantly had the card at lower ute or 0 balance it would probably be better to keep for awhile. ItsPossible's advise is good one give that number a callSmiley Happy
Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I was bummed. I was told that it'd be harder for me to get approved for Cap One and Discover so I thought once I got approved for those that I'd be good, but the BoA app got me. I'll probably call tomorrow and ask what the issue was.

They aren't usually allowed to say on the phone what the reason for denial was, but you can try to do a recon and explain anything negative. Smiley Very Happy

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Yes op, i would definitely get removed from your moms card because if you keep showing 85% utilization , even though its her card, its gonna hold back your credit journey. If she constantly had the card at lower ute or 0 balance it would probably be better to keep for awhile. ItsPossible's advise is good one give that number a callSmiley Happy

She's got another Chase card and a USAA card both of which are 15+ years old and report 0 balances every month. Would it be in my best interest to be added as an authorized user to those cards?

Message 14 of 16
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

She's got another Chase card and a USAA card both of which are 15+ years old and report 0 balances every month. Would it be in my best interest to be added as an authorized user to those cards?

Yes, it is best to be on those cards with $0 balance than one with 85%.

You may need to dispute the TL with the bureaus (after you are removed as AU from the card). I disputed 2 closed AU cards as 'not mine'. Good luck.

Message 15 of 16
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Yeah, sounds like a better plan. Plus Newhis suggestion is good one, keep an eye on your report once you get taken off. Good luckSmiley Happy
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.