Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied Capital One CLI - 7th time

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Denied Capital One CLI - 7th time

I've been a Capital One card member for the past 5 years. Every time I have applied for a CLI on my capital One card it has been denied. Today the reason states 

"Recent use of credit line not enough" something to that effect. But my credit line is $500 and I usually charge it and pay in full each month. My current limit is $500 and I'm seriously thinking about closing this card because I have other limits up to $20K. Capital One continues to insult me. My scores are good not yet EXCEPTIONAL but going in the right direction. 
How can I get an increase in this card?

Thank you 🙏 

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Denied Capital One CLI - 7th time

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been a Capital One card member for the past 5 years. Every time I have applied for a CLI on my capital One card it has been denied. Today the reason states 

"Recent use of credit line not enough" something to that effect. But my credit line is $500 and I usually charge it and pay in full each month. My current limit is $500 and I'm seriously thinking about closing this card because I have other limits up to $20K. Capital One continues to insult me. My scores are good not yet EXCEPTIONAL but going in the right direction. 
How can I get an increase in this card?

Thank you 🙏 

This account could be bucketed, meaning, it is not subject to a CLI ever. You may have opened this card with low scores. If your scores are higher now I would suggest you use the pre approval tool at Capital One and see if you qualify for a new card. You probably should just get another one with them and go for a CLI every 6 to 8 months or so.

I have a Capital One card, had some CLI's over the years and it went up to $25,000 from $7,500 originally so I stopped there and opened a 2nd card, original CL on that is $15,000 but its only 5 months old so I wont ask for a CLI unil its 8 months old to be safe

Thanks

Mark

Message 2 of 18
sznthescore
Established Contributor

Sounds like your card is "bucketed", meaning 5 years ago they gave you that card according to your credit profile at the time.  Even though you have improved your credit over the years it means nothing to Capital One. You'll have to take the triple pull to enter a new "bucket".  If you do manage to get CLI they will be small unfortunately.

REBUILDER CARDS

Goal: FICO 700+
Message 3 of 18
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Echoing what others have mentioned, this sounds like it's a bucketed tradeline.  Essentially, the 8th, 9th, or 10th time won't yield any CLIs.  Is this your oldest tradeline?  Quicksilver One, Platinum...?

Message 4 of 18
GrandBay
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous  It's a no growth card. If it's your oldest trade line PC to a no AF card (QS not QS1) and sock drawer it. To see real growth you will have to open a new trade line with Cap1. 

Message 5 of 18
Eyepinpools
Regular Contributor

@GrandBay wrote:

@Anonymous  It's a no growth card. If it's your oldest trade line PC to a no AF card (QS not QS1) and sock drawer it. To see real growth you will have to open a new trade line with Cap1. 

I'm in the same boat as the OP. Sincerely regret opening a second trade line with them too as they offered a 3k SL with an 804. Have stopped giving them any swipes and am debating closing the cards out of spite. 

Message 6 of 18
SweetCreditObsession
Valued Contributor

Don't take it personally. They've been disappointing with growth for many over the last few years. Are you letting a balance report and then paying in full? If you're not paying an annual fee, I'd leave it open for the account age.

(+102) | (+106) | (+151)
| TU Fico 9: ? | Exp Fico 9: ? | EQ Fico 9: ?| EQ Fico 8 Bankcard: TBA

Initial Goal: Min. 740 w/all CRAs - Met
Interim Goal: 780 w/all CRAs - Met
Current Goal(s): Min. 800 w/all CRAs
Gardening Until: ??/??/202?| Last App: 10/20/2023

Message 7 of 18
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

Sorry you're not seeing any growth on this card. Smiley Sad  CapOne's bucketing is ridiculous, especially given the fact that they triple-pull.  This is exactly why I view CapOne as a lender to avoid. There are much better options out there and lenders that allow more growth. As others have mentioned, if you feel you can afford to close the card without it doing too much damage to your AAoA, I wouldn't hesitate. In the long run, I don't think a bucketed CL like that is going to do anything positive for you.

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

On Deck: No Plans Currently
Message 8 of 18
Legal_Girl
Frequent Contributor

I don't even bother asking for credit limit increases on my 3 Cap1 cards. One of the 3 cards is Walmart Mastercard.  Besides, I have much better cards. Synchrony used to have this card, so they must have known how Cap1 operates and gave me a nice increase, without my requesting one, before it switched over to Cap1.  Thank you, Synchrony.

Homeowner Again as of July 17, 2014. Thanks to the VA and NFCU. FICOs EQ - 786/EX - 782/TU - 778/Quicksilver $3,500 / Cred 1 $2,875 / 1st Natl $4,250/ Kohls Visa $5k / Mercury MC $5,850 / NFCU Visa Sig Cash Rew $27k/ Lowes $25k / Best Buy Visa $11k/ NFCU LOC $15k / Walmart MC $7.5k / Chase Freedom Unlimited $1,500 / Discover IT $27,000 / Discover IT Chrome $21,500 / Citi DC $7,300 / AMEX Blue Cash Preferred $17,500 / Citi Simplicity $18,500 / Citi Premier $8,200 / Care Credit $10k/ AMEX Gold - NSL / Chase Sapphire Preferred $20,500
Message 9 of 18
NYC_Fella
Frequent Contributor

I finally gave up and dumped both my Capital One cards. After 3 years my total CLI between the 2 cards was $150.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.