Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied Chase Sapphire Preferred due to false FRAUD detection

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Denied Chase Sapphire Preferred due to false FRAUD detection

Recently I applied for the Chase Sapphire Preferred as my first Chase card. I got the 30 day message amd followed up with a backdoor number who moved me along to the identity verification step. I answered the verification questions, and then they asked to fax in my driver's license and passport. I went to a branch and faxed in both. 

I then received a letter saying "We declined an application for a new account because we couldn't confirm the information on it. We're concerned someone may be using your personal information fraudulently." I called their fraud department multiple times, and they all told me the denial was irreversible. Their recon department said the same. I even went to a local branch and talked to a head banker who called around and said there was nothing she nor I could do. (She said there might be fraudulent activity on your credit report, but I've checked all my reports and there is none.)

I now have a hard inquiry from a credit application where my credit information wasn't even considered. They didn't even include the legally-mandated page showing the credit score used in the decision.

How do I proceed from here? Can I dispute the inquiry (would that burn bridges)? They have a lot of good cards, so I do want to build a relationship with them. I've been considering opening a checking account with them and trying again in 6 months. Any thoughts?

-----------------

For background info, I have 4 cards (Amex Blue Cash Everyday $12,000, BoA Cash Rewards $3500, Discover It Student $1700, Amex SPG $2000), AAoa 11months, VantageScores around 750 and FICOs around 730.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Denied Chase Sapphire Preferred due to false FRAUD detection

I would wait 6 months and then apply in branch.

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you already went to a branch and faxed in both your passport and DL, how do you know it won't happen again?  Do you have any fraud alerts on your reports?

Message 3 of 13
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If you already went to a branch and faxed in both your passport and DL, how do you know it won't happen again?  Do you have any fraud alerts on your reports?

This here would be my concern.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

None that I can see on my official Experian report, or on my CreditKarma TU/EQ reports.

I've also since been approved for the Amex SPG (soft-pull off of a pre-approval). I don't know if that indicates that my file is normal?

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you requested your Early Warning Systems report? Chase uses EWS on occasion for credit apps without any customer internal history.

Any chance there was a typing error on the application?
Message 6 of 13
xaximus
Valued Contributor

I would look into an identity theft monitoring service for a few months to see if someone else possibly has your data. Just to be on the safe side. Also, when filling out apps, did you have auto-fill? If so, information can possibly get mixed up with anyone else that uses your computer/laptop. The same thing happened to me when filling out an app and I had to go through 7 levels of hell to get it fixed.

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 7 of 13
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I've had EQ place fraud alert on my file twice. No clue why, and when I called them, they told me  'There is no fraud alert on your file, but it will be removed within 24 hrs'

Shrug, I guess 

Message 8 of 13
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Recently I applied for the Chase Sapphire Preferred as my first Chase card. I got the 30 day message amd followed up with a backdoor number who moved me along to the identity verification step. I answered the verification questions, and then they asked to fax in my driver's license and passport. I went to a branch and faxed in both. 

I then received a letter saying "We declined an application for a new account because we couldn't confirm the information on it. We're concerned someone may be using your personal information fraudulently." I called their fraud department multiple times, and they all told me the denial was irreversible. Their recon department said the same. I even went to a local branch and talked to a head banker who called around and said there was nothing she nor I could do. (She said there might be fraudulent activity on your credit report, but I've checked all my reports and there is none.)

I now have a hard inquiry from a credit application where my credit information wasn't even considered. They didn't even include the legally-mandated page showing the credit score used in the decision.

How do I proceed from here? Can I dispute the inquiry (would that burn bridges)? They have a lot of good cards, so I do want to build a relationship with them. I've been considering opening a checking account with them and trying again in 6 months. Any thoughts?

-----------------

For background info, I have 4 cards (Amex Blue Cash Everyday $12,000, BoA Cash Rewards $3500, Discover It Student $1700, Amex SPG $2000), AAoa 11months, VantageScores around 750 and FICOs around 730.

I would go to the branch and speak to a Personal Banker and have them contact the Fraud Dept.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey, update with some good news!

I opened a checking account with them a few weeks ago in-branch, and it said I was pre-approved for the Freedom and I got that. Then I just got approved for the Sapphire Preferred from an in-branch application Smiley Happy

I guess the answer to fraud issues is to establish a relationship with the bank, and do everything in-branch.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.