Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied Discover IT

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Denied Discover IT

I applied for Amex Delta Gold Sky Miles and Discover IT the same day a couple of days ago. I was approved for the Amex with $1000 limit, they pulled my Experian report which is a 626. I tried the pre qualify on the the discover website and it showed Discover it so applied and was denied. I instantly got a notification for hard pull on Experian. I called Discover up and asked why I was denied and she explained they pulled my Experian and Equifax and decided to use the Equifax report (which is also a 626) because they like them more. My Equifax has a charge off and shows a low available credit ratio and she said that’s why I was denied. It’s wierd because I see no hard pull at all on my Equifax report and also would think Amex is harder to be approved for.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Denied Discover IT

Getting an Amex at 626 is hard enough, getting a Discover as well might have been pushing the limits of the credit godsSmiley Wink. Discover has approved low scores before but very much at their discretion. Discover is and to me anyway a magic eight ball shake away from determining when one gets approvedSmiley Wink
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lol I agree as I was shocked I was approved for the Amex. I’m going to treat that card very well and continue to improve my score. Goal is to get a Discover next.
Message 3 of 5
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Its not uncommon for a bank to HP one CRA and also SP another at the same time.  Comenity Bank does it all the time

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Getting an Amex at 626 is hard enough, getting a Discover as well might have been pushing the limits of the credit godsSmiley Wink. Discover has approved low scores before but very much at their discretion. Discover is and to me anyway a magic eight ball shake away from determining when one gets approvedSmiley Wink

No kidding. I'm still amazed I got a $2500 Discover IT in March with my TU in the 620's (it's close to 660 nowadays).

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.