Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied Discover cli

tag
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

Denied Discover cli

I have the card 9 months, 3k starting limit. about 60 pct util because of bt's. my scores are in the high 600's. overall util at 14 pct. I have a bunch of hp's 23, but a major chunk of them become 2 years old in the fall and go poof. then i will have about 8 left and some of those will be more than 1 year old. my income is 36000, i am retired. when i get the denial letter i will post the reasons.

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
engr892
Valued Member

Re: Denied Discover cli

@SUPERSQUID SORRY TO HERE DID ME SAME WAY,SO I TURNED AROUND AND APPLIED FOR ANOTHER DISCOVER CARD INSTANT APPROVAL,GO FIGURE BUT MAYBE TOO MANY HP'S.

Message 2 of 19
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

@engr892 wrote:

@SUPERSQUID SORRY TO HERE DID ME SAME WAY,SO I TURNED AROUND AND APPLIED FOR ANOTHER DISCOVER CARD INSTANT APPROVAL,GO FIGURE BUT MAYBE TOO MANY HP'S.

How old was your first discover when you apped for the second?

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Income 40k
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 3 of 19
Raisondetre
Contributor

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

@engr892 wrote:

How old was your first discover when you apped for the second?

As long as your first Discover is over a year old, you can apply for a second one. I would suggest checking the pre-approval page Discover has to see if you're eligible.

Also, Discover doesn't seem to ever like me either. I receive regular CLIs on other cards, but never Discover. I threw them in my sock drawer because of it. 😆

Most Used
Amex Hilton Honors Aspire - $30K
Amex Hilton Honors Business - $10K
Amex Amazon Prime Business - $12.4K

Used sparingly or in sock drawer
X1 Visa - $27K
PenFed Gold Visa - $9K
NavyFed Cash Rewards - $5K
Care Credit - $20K
Walmart Mastercard - $2K
Tractor Supply card - $6K
Amazon Prime Synchrony Card - $10K
Home Depot card - $12K
PNC Points - $13K
FNBO Evergreen - $2.8k
Discover It Chrome - $2.8K
Discover it Cash Back - $1K
FNBO Visa Signature - $1K
Commence Bank Special Connections - $2K
WF Reflect - $4K

Fico scores September 2023
Equifax - 786
Experian - 770
Transunion - 776
Had scores in the 500s 5 years ago
Message 4 of 19
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@Raisondetre wrote:

Also, Discover doesn't seem to ever like me either. I receive regular CLIs on other cards, but never Discover. I threw them in my sock drawer because of it. 😆

Discover continually denied my CLI requests for a long time--and then, last year, suddenly something changed! I don't know what, so I can't give you any advice, but all of a sudden they're CLI-happy with me--I've asked for and received three CLIs in the past year. Smiley Happy

My account is 31 years old, for whatever that's worth.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had mine about 8 months. Smaller starting limit than yours though. But I've been given 2 automatic CLIs and just requested one which they also gave me. Now my limit is only 1750 lol. I'm going to keep at it though!

Message 6 of 19
engr892
Valued Member

@Anonymous congrats ,keep it up

Message 7 of 19
engr892
Valued Member

@Raisondetre about 3 years ,whats funny is the reason they gave was,  to much new credit is why i couldnt get CLI ,but then turn around and give me new card.go figure

Message 8 of 19
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

I got the heartbreaking letter from Ms disco today.

Drumroll please,

1 -  Serious delinquency , and public record or collection filed. " Obviously my bk7 of 12/19 "

2 - Length of time revolving accounts have been established.

3 - proportion of loan balances toloan amounts too high.

4 - Number of inquiries on credit burea.

How in the world did they grant a cc to such a loser in the first place? oops its me, nevermind

Income 40k
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 9 of 19
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

I got the heartbreaking letter from Ms disco today.

Drumroll please,

1 -  Serious delinquency , and public record or collection filed. " Obviously my bk7 of 12/19 "

2 - Length of time revolving accounts have been established.

3 - proportion of loan balances toloan amounts too high.

4 - Number of inquiries on credit burea.

How in the world did they grant a cc in the first place?

They can still approve accounts under the guise of a revenue stream, like AmEx, Chase, BoA, PNC, US Bank, Citi, etc. Your account potentially resides in a tranche like all other applicants who met similar [algorithmic] criteria. That goes with any entity. But, don't expect it to grow too fast/soon.

If you can address reason(s) 2, 3 and 4 in the long term, then Discover may likely loosen up the purse strings over time.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.