Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied Macy’s Credit Card with 830 FICO

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Denied Macy’s Credit Card with 830 FICO

So this has NEVER happened to me but I was just denied a Macy’s credit card. As the subjects indicates, I have an 834 FICO and an income of about 200,000 a year. This would be my fourth credit card and basically pay all credit cards off each month.

HOW is this possible?
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Denied Macy’s Credit Card with 830 FICO

@Anonymous wrote:
So this has NEVER happened to me but I was just denied a Macy’s credit card. As the subjects indicates, I have an 834 FICO and an income of about 200,000 a year. This would be my fourth credit card and basically pay all credit cards off each month.

HOW is this possible?

I'm assuming this card is issued by Citbank, correct?  So what reason(s) did Citibank give for the denial?

Message 2 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

As I was reading the credit app it showed two different banks were possible. One was AMEX but don’t remember the other but I suppose it could have been Citibank.

I just applied today so don’t have an explanation yet. But yeah, I’m pretty shell shocked. Trying to figure out what possibly could have gone wrong. Did I acidentally put 20k instead of 200k? Would it even matter?
Message 3 of 27
FlaDude
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I just applied today so don’t have an explanation yet. But yeah, I’m pretty shell shocked. Trying to figure out what possibly could have gone wrong. Did I acidentally put 20k instead of 200k? Would it even matter?

Could be. Amex denied my wife with an 824 score and < 2k total balances for too little income. We only listed her personal income of 10k when she applied. I would expect a store card to be more lenient though. Please let us know what reason they give when you receive the letter.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 4 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. Wish there was a way to know whether I made that mistake. Sucks because I applied because I was going to get 50% off on a dress and suit. Would have been great.

And, if it was the income (which I have no idea really), is there anything I can do to either remove the credit check because it was wrong or reapply without it looking like I applied twice?

Will make sure to update when I get the letter. Thanks.
Message 5 of 27
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Citi retail does the Macy card and they have two versions of it the Retail card and the Amex card that runs on the Amex network not to be confused by the Centurion Bank Amex that runs the networks.  So it would be Citibank that denied you not amex, even if it was for the Amex card as it just runs on Amex's network and that is all.  Be interesting to here the reasons when the letter comes

Message 6 of 27
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

It is not the income. Macy's is one of the most liberal when it comes to giving credit limits. Macys card is DSNB Department Store National Bank a part of Citi. I have such low income id be laughed at here so might be something else they dont like.
Message 7 of 27
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

If you didn't fat-finger the income then this one is a head scratcher.  OP, if you are so inclined, please do chime back in and let us know the reason for denial.  Macy's is a very easy one to pick up so this does shock me just a bit. 

Message 8 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone. Will definitely come back and relay what they say. For now, the only other thing I can think of (if it’s Citibank) is that I used to have a citi card (credit line as high as 50k) that was eventually closed because I stopped using it. I’m thinking it was closed 4-5 years ago.

Anyway, enough speculating I suppose. Looking forward to reading the letter.
Message 9 of 27
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

OP..
By any chance do you have any of CR's frozen, or a fraud alert on them?
Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.