Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied by Amex, what now?

tag
Egaffne2
Regular Contributor

Denied by Amex, what now?

I prequaled for the BCE a couple days ago but didn't pull the trigger. Today I went through their prequal again with the intention of apping

Instead today they only pre-qualified me for their store branded Hilton and delta cards but no BCE. I decided to pull the trigger on BCE anyway and was denied. First app by me in 8 months.

Even though I was just denied can I go back and try for the delta gold. Would it be a soft pull? Or should I forget it and try again in a fews months. Also, is there a reconsideration line I can call? Thanks in advance!

Oh yeah, and I also wanted to try for the savor one today but I chickened out because of the horrendous tripple pull but I'm curious what u guys think if I should give it a shot?? 

Current 2023 FICO 8 score - 760 (EX) 758 (TU) 762 (EQ) (FICO 9s seem to be significantly higher)
Starting score - 530
Discover it - $4,200
Citi Custom Cash - $6,600
CFNA Firestone - $3,200
Amex BCE - $2,500
Mission Lane - $1,100
Chase slate (AU) - $3,000
Chase Freedom Flex - $11,100
Lowes Advantage card - $10,000
PNC poop points- $4,500
2 student loans 93% paid off
AMEX loan only 7% paid off so far
Total current Utilization among all accounts- 20%

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Egaffne2
Regular Contributor

Re: Denied by Amex, what now?

Also very weird is I just checked the decision details and the score they gave me is not my current fico 8 from Experian unless it is back dated.

Current 2023 FICO 8 score - 760 (EX) 758 (TU) 762 (EQ) (FICO 9s seem to be significantly higher)
Starting score - 530
Discover it - $4,200
CFNA Firestone - $3,200
Amex BCE - $2,500
Mission Lane - $1,100
PNC poop points- $4,500

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Must wait 90 days to apply for any AMEX product after denial. 

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Apps in one day should be consolidated for credit pulls... so should be ok. Ymmv. 

You can try a recon. You should try a recon. Can't hurt. Might not help, but can't hurt. 

How far off was their score vs what your ex score is on MF?

Message 4 of 12
Egaffne2
Regular Contributor

I get my EX fico 8 score from Experian website and its 10 points higher than the score Amex provided me just now when I looked at the denial letter online. I just think that's really weird that the scores are off because I thought for sure that Amex was a guarantee EX fico 8 and after hard pulling my report u would think that would be the up to date score. 

Yeah and maybe I will app the savor one now better than later I would just hate a tripple pull denial.

Starting score - 530
Discover it - $4,200
CFNA Firestone - $3,200
Amex BCE - $2,500
Mission Lane - $1,100
PNC poop points- $4,500

Message 5 of 12
BmoreBull
Established Contributor

Back when I was denied for an Amex, I thought the score was too low also. I checked all my scores on Myfico and the one that lined up with what they said my score was, was a bank card score. It wasn't a FICO 8.  It was the older experian bank card score. 

Starting Fico Scores:November 2019

Current Fico Scores: January 6, 2021
Goal Scores: 700 across all three
Message 6 of 12
Egaffne2
Regular Contributor

Just thought I'd throw in a little update. I emailed the chairman's office and asked for a reconsideration. They said no but welcomed me to apply again in 6 months. Ive been hearing in these threads about how solid Amex's pre-qual is and I'm here to warn that I was pre-qualified and got denied. Also here to warn that they are using a different score than FICO 8. Hope this helps someone in the future.

Starting score - 530
Discover it - $4,200
CFNA Firestone - $3,200
Amex BCE - $2,500
Mission Lane - $1,100
PNC poop points- $4,500

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Egaffne2 wrote:

Just thought I'd throw in a little update. I emailed the chairman's office and asked for a reconsideration. They said no but welcomed me to apply again in 6 months. Ive been hearing in these threads about how solid Amex's pre-qual is and I'm here to warn that I was pre-qualified and got denied. Also here to warn that they are using a different score than FICO 8. Hope this helps someone in the future.

Well, you were prequalified a few days ago but you said that you were not when you went for it and apped the BCE. We don't know why that changed but it did. And with Covid, everything has been changing with many lenders, including approval criteria. 

With regards to Savor, you may want to wait. CapOne has been pushing that as a top-tier card for awhile now. Unless you've gotten comfortably over 700 since the score in your sig, you may want to wait a bit and increase it. CapOne has gotten a lot stricter too and burning a triple pull for a decline would be a bitter pill to swallow.

Message 8 of 12
ccquest
Established Contributor

@Egaffne2 wrote:

I get my EX fico 8 score from Experian website and its 10 points higher than the score Amex provided me just now when I looked at the denial letter online. I just think that's really weird that the scores are off because I thought for sure that Amex was a guarantee EX fico 8 and after hard pulling my report u would think that would be the up to date score. 

I experienced the same thing recently with my Wells Fargo Propel app. When I applied, I knew my EX FICO 8 score was 815 because it was just updated that week, maybe 3 days before I applied for the card. When I got my approval letter in the mail, it stated my credit score at 802 per EX and my prior research also showed that they pulled FICO 8.

as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 9 of 12
Egaffne2
Regular Contributor

REDEMPTION!! 

Hello everyone. I just wanna update everyone on my quest for the BCE and my aspiration to become an Amex customer. I was approved!! After that denial last June it feels good. $1000 limit. I wasn't immediately approved it took a few hours. To my knowledge I'm assuming I'm getting the sign up bonus. Does anyone know how to double check that I am?

Starting score - 530
Discover it - $4,200
CFNA Firestone - $3,200
Amex BCE - $2,500
Mission Lane - $1,100
PNC poop points- $4,500

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.