cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied for AAdvantage card by citi bank with 763 credit score - what gives?!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Denied for AAdvantage card by citi bank with 763 credit score - what gives?!

I am a gold member on American so I figured why not go ahead and get the credit card so I can earn double - double miles.

They denied me! I have a 763 credit scrore based on credit karma, which is equifax and transunion. My “hard inquires” were in the green as in “excellent” for having only 3 in the last two years. I make 65k a year and never have missed a payment.

I called many times and had to go around and around with Citibank until I finally got an answer they denied me due to “seniority of address” I explained to them I move for work and by law I’m required to change my address for the state I’m residing in to pay taxes in the current state I’m working in. I offered them any documentation they need and they refused it. The first few times all I got was “we can’t verify your information and to call the credit bureau.” After multiple attempts an actual response.. sounds like they just wanted to make something up

Is this legal?! I can’t just change my job in order to get a credit card approved and have never had any issues with my chase sapphire and Amex. I even once had a discover card when I was still in college with even less of a credit history.
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Denied for AAdvantage card by citi bank with 763 credit score - what gives?!

Bottom Line Up Front: Yes, it is perfectly legal for a lender to deny credit to any applicant for any reason other than those recognized as protected such as race, gender, etc. You have no “right” to credit, it is a privilege.

The 763 score to which you referred from Credit Karma is not a FICO score, rather it is a Vantage score. However, that point is somewhat moot since it was not cited as a reason behind denial.

Perhaps you could elevate the issue beyond the CSR or contact them again and speak to a different CSR. I would think your issue, as described, would not be entirely unique. But I’ve certainly been proven wrong before.

Good luck if you try again and thank you for sharing. Being denied always stings and I’m sure everyone here has experienced that, so we are with you!
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.