Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied for Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Denied for Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card

For background I am a college student and have been building credit for 11 months now with my Discover IT card. I have now decided to try and get another card or 2 to try and build more credit history. Last night I applied for the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card and it got denied. My FICO from the discover app is 755, 741 TU, and 722EQ. I called the recon line today and they said it was denied due to lack of history. I was wondering how long I should wait for trying to apply again for it? Also any suggestions for cards I can currently get approved for? I thought my score was pretty decent but I guess the lack of history is holding me back here. I was thinking about applying for a Best Buy credit card, the Barclays Uber Card, or getting my foot in the door with Chase by applying for the Chase Freedom Unlimited so I can get the CSP down the line. But now I am wondering if I'll get approved for any of them and don't want to get another hard inquiry for no reason by getting denied. Any tips are appreciated. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Denied for Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card

Chase normally requires 12 months of history. That's why you were declined. If you plan on having Chase, plan your apps as they have the 5/24 rule. They won't approve you for any of their cards if you have 5 new credit cards(includes store cards) in a rolling 24 month period.

Message 2 of 6
xaximus
Valued Contributor

Chase prefers to see a minimum of 1 year history. I would look into AmEx and if you want the Amazon card, I would look into the Amazon Store Card from Synchrony. I would hold off on Chase for now. You may get in with the Chase Freedom UL but I wouldn't take the chance. Barclay's is inq sensitive (sometimes) and that may be tough as well.

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 3 of 6
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Have you tried the AMEX prequalify tool? Sometimes they don't mind a thin file.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I just did that after it was recommended and got matched with 3 cards of theirs... Seemed like the only cashback one was giving lots of cashback for grocery shopping which I don’t do a ton of, but I guess I can’t be that picky when my history is so thin
Message 5 of 6
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

AMEX is good to get in with and down the road you can always get a second card , usually with a SP. Good lender to have.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.