Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied for BoA card; phone call the next day

tag
8bitmachinegun
Regular Contributor

Denied for BoA card; phone call the next day

I recently tried to apply for a Bank of America cash rewards card but was denied. The weird thing was their ‘soft-pull’ pre-approval web page told me I was qualified to get the card. So my question would be, what does the hard pull tell them that the soft pull doesn’t.

And weirdly the next day I got a call from Bank of America. I was on a phone interview, so I couldn’t take it. When I called back it seemed like a standard customer service menu. Why in earth would they call me? I know they send out a letter with the reason for denial. Are they calling now instead?
FICO8 - Aug 2020
FICO9 - Aug 2019
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Denied for BoA card; phone call the next day

They do that on occasion. Dont trust Boa prequal site. It is not reliable. If you are looking for a cashback card, i bet it comesback with their recommendations for their cb card lol.
Message 2 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@8bitmachinegun wrote:
I recently tried to apply for a Bank of America cash rewards card but was denied. The weird thing was their ‘soft-pull’ pre-approval web page told me I was qualified to get the card. So my question would be, what does the hard pull tell them that the soft pull doesn’t.

And weirdly the next day I got a call from Bank of America. I was on a phone interview, so I couldn’t take it. When I called back it seemed like a standard customer service menu. Why in earth would they call me? I know they send out a letter with the reason for denial. Are they calling now instead?

The BoA customized offers (i.e. "Check for your offers") is not a pre-approval portal, unfortunately.   This is a run-of-the-mill recommendations engine that yields very high level data on suggested BoA products that you might qualify based on certain input criteria, not necessarily a full SP.

As far as the call back, unless they specifically left you a message with a direct number and/or reference #, might just be to confirm that you applied.

Message 3 of 12
Raisondetre
Contributor

You can even put your dogs name with some random information on the BoA "pre-qualification" page, they'll definitely come back with a ton of choices for Fido. My dog was "pre-qualified" for the premium rewards card, I had to talk him out of applying though.
Most Used
Amex Hilton Honors Aspire - $30K
Amex Hilton Honors Business - $10K
Amex Amazon Prime Business - $12.4K

Used sparingly or in sock drawer
X1 Visa - $27K
PenFed Gold Visa - $9K
NavyFed Cash Rewards - $5K
Care Credit - $20K
Walmart Mastercard - $2K
Tractor Supply card - $6K
Amazon Prime Synchrony Card - $10K
Home Depot card - $12K
PNC Points - $13K
FNBO Evergreen - $2.8k
Discover It Chrome - $2.8K
Discover it Cash Back - $1K
FNBO Visa Signature - $1K
Commence Bank Special Connections - $2K
WF Reflect - $4K

Fico scores September 2023
Equifax - 786
Experian - 770
Transunion - 776
Had scores in the 500s 5 years ago
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

They probably called to do a survey of how well they handled your application denial on a scale of 1 to 5. Smiley LOL

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

The phone call may have been for verification. I would call their recon number and make your case. Could turn into an approval.

Message 6 of 12
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The phone call may have been for verification. I would call their recon number and make your case. Could turn into an approval.

+1..    This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Message 7 of 12
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Raisondetre wrote:
You can even put your dogs name with some random information on the BoA "pre-qualification" page, they'll definitely come back with a ton of choices for Fido. My dog was "pre-qualified" for the premium rewards card, I had to talk him out of applying though.

Glad I read the thread, I remembered this, and was going to post the Dog approvalSmiley Very Happy

#GoFido

Message 8 of 12
8bitmachinegun
Regular Contributor

I’m a bit confused; what is a recon number and what is the number for BofA? I did call the number that Caller ID left, but got what seemed like a standard customer service number.
FICO8 - Aug 2020
FICO9 - Aug 2019
Message 9 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Check out the following sticky thread for further guidance:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Backdoor-Numbers/td-p/408066

If you were denied, they could potentially provide you the reason(s). You'd have to understand what reasons were cited in order to determine next steps in the reconsideration process.

Just to add, BoA has tightened some of their UW criteria so reconsiderations are not as successful as in the past.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.