Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied for Chase Amazon Prime Visa-Tried Recon denied again

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Denied for Chase Amazon Prime Visa-Tried Recon denied again

New to this so not quite sure where to start. Submitted an application a week ago for the Amazon Prime rewards credit card through chase. Today I received my letter of denial stating the reasons were: No general purpose credit card- Length of time since oldest account was opened is too short.- Too many requests for new credit. I called up chase and they offered a Recon, which I tried, After about 15 minutes on the phone answering more questions, I was still denied.

I guess I should start with a bit of background I am 23 with a good steady income. I applied about 15 months ago for my first form of credit, I borrowed $10k for 24 months with a $15k down payment on a vehicle. I have not missed/ been late on any payments. my stated monthly rent was $400. My Chase calculated scores was 638, TU 650, Equifax 655.  

I have not requested any new credit since my shopping around during  my vehicle purchase 15 months ago. The rep on the phone stated that she noticed that and chose to ignore that on the Recon.

Im seeing people approved for the card with much lower scores than I have. I guess I'm not quite sure what the purpose of my post is, but Im just looking for some advice/ Opinions. Feel free to ask any questions. 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Denied for Chase Amazon Prime Visa-Tried Recon denied again

Unless I missed it in your post, you don't currently have a credit card of any sort and this would've been your first card, correct? It so, that is the reason for your denial. Chase doesn't like giving anyone their first credit card. Your best shot is to apply for a Discover or Capital One card, use it for 6-12 months and then apply again for a Chase card. 

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looks like you need a revolver reporting to help your scores and imo was the real reason for your denial based on what you wrote. Chase is not the easiest to get as a first card (not saying it can't be done). 

Have you tried Cap 1 preapproval? It's amazing what 6 months of revolving age can do for your scores and future approvals. 

*Please do not go apply for a bunch of store cards*

Message 3 of 9
ls2016
Frequent Contributor

I agree with the above posters. Cap 1 and Discover are great starter options. If neither of those work out, you may have to start with a bank/CU that you already have an established relationship with or with a secured card. Don't give up. You will get what you want in due time, once you understand how FICO works and what the creditors look for.
Current FICO 8s: Ex 768, Tu 741, Eq 741
Current FICO 9s: Ex 775, Tu ?? Eq 781
Total TLs: $120,000
8 (30-60 day) mortgage lates and 2 (30 day) auto lates remain from Jan., Feb. 2016
Current Mortgage Ex. Fico 2 787
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the help guys, I tried applying for the Quicksilver, but was turned down so I applied for BCE and was approved for $2,000. Thanks everyone.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! In a few months you should be good to get the Chase Amazon card. One more thing to consider is getting one more card now. That way you'll be able to grow two cards at once and when you get approved for the Chase card your average age of accounts won't go down as much. This isn't necessary, but just an option if you want to take a look at it. 

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the help guys, I tried applying for the Quicksilver, but was turned down so I applied for BCE and was approved for $2,000. Thanks everyone.

Congrats on the Amex! 

Did you app for QS or QS1? If it was QS1, I'm surprised it was denied. If it was QS, I'm not surprised bc its harder to get. 

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

QS, I tried applying for Discover It cash after being apprroved for BCE but it was unfortunartely denied due to too many inquiries.  Also to add, equifax pulled a 707 FICA when Discover ran it.

Message 8 of 9
Caleb87
New Contributor

Capital one is grwat for your situation app for the platinum youll easily get it and then upgrade in 6 months to qs. Qs1 is good too. 39 annual fee is no big deal when building credit
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.