Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied with excellent credit

tag
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Denied with excellent credit

Too few accounts is a reference to thin file
They are basically telling you they cant give you more credit because you dont have experience with managing multiple accounts for extended period of time.
There are plenty of people with incomes on the lower end with sufficient credit, so this is not something that you cant overcome

Your future limits maybe be in line with your income, but approvals are certainly possible.
Message 11 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I should ignore the verbal messages about income limits, wait 2 years, and apply for a secured card?

Message 12 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

Didn't see your post at first, quantum001 (the flag took me to the next page). Thanks. I'll try that.

Message 13 of 45
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Well, wait to see what happens with your Citi app.
Also, Citi allows PC on some of their cards. Yours may be one that would allow it changed to Double Cash
Another thing you can try is to join a local credit union that has cards with cashback rewards. They tend to be a bit gentler on applicants.

Did discover give you secured card option?
The reason I ask is because their cards have rewards and they unsecure, usually with CLI
Seeing how they already denied you, I'm not convinced that application for their secured card would be successful at this time.
Message 14 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, I edited my denials into a previous post instead of making a new post. My credit union denied me, too. I thought for sure they would have something for me. (They don't even offer secured cards for some reason?) They cited an income limit over the phone, too. It wasn't the lowest one (Discover was the lowest one--but even Discover was still more than my income).

What is PC, please? Also what is CLI?

Citi's systems have been down, so the delay in reply might just be that their computers are out. I can't log in to web management, and their phone system didn't give my balance from the number on the back of my card (I got it from a more generic number, though), but downdetector.com said it's not just me.

Discover did not offer me a secured card. I noticed that they had one, and was a bit surprised that if they were denying me for other stuff, and I had a good credit score, that they didn't offer me at least a secured card. I thought I might try that later, and it sounds like you're saying wait a bit, too.

Message 15 of 45
addicted_to_credit
Established Contributor

Some of the most common ones you’ll see are:

PC - Product change
CLI - Credit Limit Increase
SL - Starting Limit
SP - Soft Pull
HP - Hard Pull

undefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedMy ImageMy ImageMy ImageMy Image
Message 16 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 17 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, everyone. Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would a product change continue my record of having the same account since 2004? That's my oldest card and I don't want to mess with it.

Though I think the AmEx is 2007 so that's probably a fine record.

Message 19 of 45
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@parzivalmx wrote:

All Hard inquiries counts and they only get deleted after 2 years.

I suspect the context the OP was alluding to was based on an incomplete understanding that for FICO scoring purposes some specific inquiry types such as for an auto loan made within a specific time window will be considered as a single inquiry.   They are still each reported independently and each issuer can use their own discretion on how they choose to evaluate them.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 20 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.