Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Didn't see this coming

tag
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

Didn't see this coming

So, over the last 15 months I've opened two CapitalOne credit cards following my Chapter 13 discharge, the first was a secured card which didn't work out for me so I paid it off and closed it in less than 7 weeks.  The second was opened in December 2020 and is the "middle" (for good credit) Quicksilver card, currently with a $3,300 limit, and which I typically charge between $1,200 and $2,500 against per month (and always pay in full prior to the due date).  After reading the numerous discussions on CapOne's business model, I've just assumed I'd maybe get bestowed with an occasional, say yearly, Auto-CLI, but that would be about the extent of their generosity.

Yeah, silly me, after closing the secured card after only a few weeks I figured they'd not be terribly happy with me, only to be totally floored when I got their pre-approved offer for the Quicksilver back in December.  I was again surprised today when I logged into my CapOne account and saw a pre-approved offer for a SavorOne card; I guess they like me after all.  Smiley Tongue

Regarding the SavorOne, I'm probably going to take a pass on it as it doesn't really offer me anything I don't already have with either my TDCash or my PenFed Platinum card, but when I come out of the garden next year I've been strongly contemplating a full-on Savor card, and seeing this pre-approval gives me hope I might qualify for that card next year.  Smiley Happy

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
KatSoDak
Frequent Contributor

Re: Didn't see this coming

Congratulations on that offer!  They want more of your business for sure.  

You should be proud of the recovery you've  made from the mess your business partner and life dumped on you!

FICO 8:

EQ FICO 9 - 770
EX FICO 9 - 758

Citi (2) | Discover | HSBC | BOA | NFCU (2) | WF (2) | Simmons Bank | FNBO (2) | PENFED | BBVA | US Bank | Lowes | Care Credit | Home Depot AU
Message 2 of 12
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

Congratulations! That's a nice surprise.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 3 of 12
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Congratulations!!

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Horseshoez wrote:

...but when I come out of the garden next year I've been strongly contemplating a full-on Savor card, and seeing this pre-approval gives me hope I might qualify for that card next year.  Smiley Happy

I've seen you mention this in another thread as well. What motivates you to choose the Savor over the Savor One? Do you really spend the $9500 a year on dining, entertainment, and streaming that would warrant paying the $95 annual fee for the extra 1% cash back?

Message 5 of 12
Rudy1
Established Contributor

Congrats on the offer! 

>
Goal Cards:
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Horseshoez wrote:

So, over the last 15 months I've opened two CapitalOne credit cards following my Chapter 13 discharge, the first was a secured card which didn't work out for me so I paid it off and closed it in less than 7 weeks.  The second was opened in December 2020 and is the "middle" (for good credit) Quicksilver card, currently with a $3,300 limit, and which I typically charge between $1,200 and $2,500 against per month (and always pay in full prior to the due date).  After reading the numerous discussions on CapOne's business model, I've just assumed I'd maybe get bestowed with an occasional, say yearly, Auto-CLI, but that would be about the extent of their generosity.

Yeah, silly me, after closing the secured card after only a few weeks I figured they'd not be terribly happy with me, only to be totally floored when I got their pre-approved offer for the Quicksilver back in December.  I was again surprised today when I logged into my CapOne account and saw a pre-approved offer for a SavorOne card; I guess they like me after all.  Smiley Tongue

Regarding the SavorOne, I'm probably going to take a pass on it as it doesn't really offer me anything I don't already have with either my TDCash or my PenFed Platinum card, but when I come out of the garden next year I've been strongly contemplating a full-on Savor card, and seeing this pre-approval gives me hope I might qualify for that card next year.  Smiley Happy

Congrats!   Yes I would pass on any Cap 1 card if I was you.  They are good for credit rebuilding purposes but they give little CL no matter how much you use it.  They spoon feed you $500 here $500 there not worth it compared with other cards that at least give you more money.

Message 7 of 12
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats!   Yes I would pass on any Cap 1 card if I was you.  They are good for credit rebuilding purposes but they give little CL no matter how much you use it.  They spoon feed you $500 here $500 there not worth it compared with other cards that at least give you more money.

Quite honestly, my credit limits in general, and with CapOne in particular, are already higher than I can ever imagine using; said another way, I couldn't give a rodent's hind parts whether they ever give me another CLI (but I'm betting they will).

Message 8 of 12
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Horseshoez wrote:

...but when I come out of the garden next year I've been strongly contemplating a full-on Savor card, and seeing this pre-approval gives me hope I might qualify for that card next year.  Smiley Happy

I've seen you mention this in another thread as well. What motivates you to choose the Savor over the Savor One? Do you really spend the $9500 a year on dining, entertainment, and streaming that would warrant paying the $95 annual fee for the extra 1% cash back?

With all of the travel and eating out I'll be doing with my new job, much of which will not be expensible, yes, there are pretty good odds I'll spend more than $9,500 in the categories which yield the extra percent.  Then there is the specter of the growing Capital One Lounges; my bet is the Savor will have at least some access to the lounges, and given I'll be on the road upwards of 26 weeks per year, sooner or later I'll be able to take advantage of that access.

Message 9 of 12
Legal_Girl
Frequent Contributor

Good Job!!! Congratulations.

Homeowner Again as of July 17, 2014. Thanks to the VA and NFCU. FICOs EQ - 786/EX - 782/TU - 778/Quicksilver $3,500 / Cred 1 $2,875 / 1st Natl $4,250/ Kohls Visa $5k / Mercury MC $5,850 / NFCU Visa Sig Cash Rew $27k/ Lowes $25k / Best Buy Visa $11k/ NFCU LOC $15k / Walmart MC $7.5k / Chase Freedom Unlimited $1,500 / Discover IT $27,000 / Discover IT Chrome $21,500 / Citi DC $7,300 / AMEX Blue Cash Preferred $17,500 / Citi Simplicity $18,500 / Citi Premier $8,200 / Care Credit $10k/ AMEX Gold - NSL / Chase Sapphire Preferred $20,500
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.