Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different Amex pre-qualification pages =different results

tag
MeN5
Regular Contributor

Different Amex pre-qualification pages =different results

So I've discovered that there are two amex pre-qualification pages and they held completely different results for me here's proofScreenshot_20201007-192713_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201007-192647_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201007-192559_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201007-192430_Chrome.jpg

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Different Amex pre-qualification pages =different results

Very odd...okay so...fill us in?

Did you go to the regular pre-qual site found via Google or a link here?  

Were you logged in with your account and then prequal'd so they knew more about you?  

Do you even have existing accounts with them already?

I'm intrigued....

Did you accept the offer and did it go through?

Message 2 of 20
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@cashorcharge wrote:

Very odd...okay so...fill us in?

Did you go to the regular pre-qual site found via Google or a link here?  

Were you logged in with your account and then prequal'd so they knew more about you?  

Do you even have existing accounts with them already?

I'm intrigued....

Did you accept the offer and did it go through?

In addition, can you provide links to these two separate prequal pages?

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 3 of 20
MeN5
Regular Contributor

When you Google Amex pre-qualification two separate ones appear. I currently don't have amex but I did try this a few months back and I was denied. Then it was showing bc and the blue card also 1 more can't remember them. Now it's showing the platinum. This is crazy! Isn't the platinum top tier? 

Message 4 of 20
MeN5
Regular Contributor

Message 5 of 20
addicted_to_credit
Established Contributor

@MeN5 wrote:

When you Google Amex pre-qualification two separate ones appear. I currently don't have amex but I did try this a few months back and I was denied. Then it was showing bc and the blue card also 1 more can't remember them. Now it's showing the platinum. This is crazy! Isn't the platinum top tier? 

The platinum is a charge card, IIRC it's the same underwriting as the green and gold. It seems like a 680(?) is the minimum required score for any Amex card. The revolvers are usually harder to get than charge cards in normal times and probably now as well. It's been a long time since I've had any personal dealings with Amex so hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong..

undefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedMy ImageMy ImageMy ImageMy Image
Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MeN5 wrote:

I currently don't have amex but I did try this a few months back and I was denied. Then it was showing bc and the blue card also 1 more can't remember them. Now it's showing the platinum. This is crazy! Isn't the platinum top tier? 

So are you saying that you apped and were declined, or that you merely were declined any pre-qualified offers? If you don't get prequal offers it's often because you opted out of marketing. If you apped and were delined then what were teh reasons? If those haven't changed neither will their decision.

What's your overal profile lokm like score, recent accounts age etc? Maybe someone here can give you a baseline on your chances of being approved and for what product.

Message 7 of 20
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

@MeN5 wrote:

https://card.americanexpress.com/m/pre-qualified-offers/?utm_mcid=3568634&utm_source=google&utm_medi...

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/check-for-offers/

The second link is the one that always shows offers for me.

Wait, second link is actually giving me offers. I thought I was on the Blacklist. Does this mean I am no longer on there???

Message 8 of 20
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@randomguy1 wrote:

@MeN5 wrote:

https://card.americanexpress.com/m/pre-qualified-offers/?utm_mcid=3568634&utm_source=google&utm_medi...

Wait, second link is actually giving me offers. I thought I was on the Blacklist. Does this mean I am no longer on there???

No, the offers are being based on the SP they do. Once you app your info will be ran through their system where if you're blacklisted, it will be booted without an inquiry. If you take a HP, but get denied, you're off the blacklist, but not meeting their criteria for approval.

Message 9 of 20
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@randomguy1 wrote:

@MeN5 wrote:

No, the offers are being based on the SP they do. Once you app your info will be ran through their system where if you're blacklisted, it will be booted without an inquiry. If you take a HP, but get denied, you're off the blacklist, but not meeting their criteria for approval.

Ah, I thought their prequal took it into account because I haven't had any prequals since I was blacklisted. Guess only way to find out is to apply in the future. 

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.