Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difficult to get a Discover CLI

tag
Isacking97
Regular Contributor

Difficult to get a Discover CLI

Why is so hard to get a credit increase from discover? 

I have good credit history and I have been approved for 2 credit increases with Amex, but with Discover is not even clear what are there requirements... 

Starting Score:EX: 713 EQ: 698
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Difficult to get a Discover CLI

@Isacking97 wrote:

I have good credit history and I have been approved for 2 credit increases with Amex, but with Discover is not even clear what are there requirements... 

OP, how long have you had the card? What is your current credit line and whats they highest CL you have reporting? What is your cycle date? What day of the month are they updating your TU Fico score? Discover seems to have a 90 day wait period from account opening for CLI's. Then some people are able to start getting them regularly, like every 30days or so.  If you have had the card for a little while, use it and let a balance report.  From looking through all the forums they do like to see some swipes and payments before unleashing the luv. Here's a link to my Discover journey so far http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Discover-CLI-Approved/m-p/4784719

Message 2 of 26
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

@Isacking97 wrote:

Discover is very hard to predict. Many years ago, Discover was very aggressive and kept sending pre-approval letters, just like the current Capital One. So I has a $12k CL more than 18 years ago. Since its 5% reward was very hard to use and I used my other Visa/MC more often, I lowered my CL to $3k and put it in my draw for many years.

Now I decided to use it for its 5% rewards and I asked for a CLI. They were only willing to give me an increase of $500. Smiley Wink Now I have the CSR with $50K CL and the Discover with $3.5K CL. It is fine for my total utilization, but looks bad if I put on $2,000 charge on the Discover. 

Message 3 of 26
Isacking97
Regular Contributor

5 months with a $500 credit line, 

Total credit line (VISA, AMEX, DISCOVER): 2,600 , highest credit line is Amex

Amex had a $1,800 credit line, but yestadey it was increased to $5,300 (new credit line not yet reported): with changes total credit line $6,100

Message 4 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

More data that points to Discover liking a combination of swipes and payments. Even if it's just mild usage. Not using the card for a long time leaves them with very little info to go on to judge repayment. Credit Reports only tell part of the story. There is a lot of information gleaned from where you shop, how much you spend in certain categories, how much you pay and when those payments are usually made. I worked at Discover years ago in the late 90's in Fraud Dept and the early detection algorithms used all of this kind of data to flag suspicious usage. Amazingly accurate and still remember so many calls to card holders who had no idea their card was being used, sometimes the card had be lifted or physically taken and they had no idea.  Point being that this info is also very useful when determining credit lines 

Message 5 of 26
Isacking97
Regular Contributor

Discover is till aggressive with the mail offers, some time offering 12,14,17 months with 0% apr and no more that 17% apr after that..

Message 6 of 26
Isacking97
Regular Contributor

Perhaps need to leave some balance on the card, I always leave it in 0 (pay it all before it reports), because I leave about $70-$200 in my other cards

Message 7 of 26
Isacking97
Regular Contributor

Perhaps need to leave some balance on the card, I always leave it in 0 (pay it all before it reports), because I leave about $70-$200 in my other cards

Message 8 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Isacking97 wrote:

From the info you given I'd guess you have a "Thin / Younger File" $500 is there borderline approval. I'd suggest changing up your usage a bit and giving Discover the majority of your spend for at least 3 months. Pay off the card multiple times if necessary to keep credit available. Let your statement's cut with a balance around $30-$40. Request your CLI's after your statent has cut and after you have made a payment (and it's posted) that "pays" the $30-$40 balance. I'd be willing to bet that credit line will start to grow grow grow. Also check the info they have on file for you. I think its under "My Profile" in you online account access. Income, etc..

Message 9 of 26
Isacking97
Regular Contributor

Thank You that was very helpful Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.