cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disco app status: “There was an error retrieving your application. Please try again.”

tag
8bitmachinegun
Regular Contributor

Disco app status: “There was an error retrieving your application. Please try again.”

A couple of weeks ago I decided to start aggressively rebuilding my credit. I got an unsecured Cap1 Platinum MC with a $500. Then Experian’s credit card matcher said I had great odds on an Amex Blue. Really?? So I applied and got an $8k CL (though the rate sucks.) And then I decided to take Disco up on the countless offers they send me. They said hold your horses, we need to think about this and we’ll let you know in a week.

So I was trying to get an update from their online tool to check you app status and got “There was an error retrieving your application. Please try again.” Trying again gets the same message, over and over.

What does this unhelpful message even mean. I suspect this means I’ve been declined, but it would be nice to know for sure.

It would be so hilarious if I got approved by Amex, and rejected by Disco...
FICO8 - Aug 2020
FICO9 - Aug 2019
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
8bitmachinegun
Regular Contributor

Re: Disco app status: “There was an error retrieving your application. Please try again.”

I think I got an answer. I went back and ran their soft pull tool to check for offers. And I got:

TOO MANY RECENT INQUIRIES

Mystery solved. About 6 months ago I tried to refinance my car through my credit union and they ran like 8 hard pulls. Combine that with the Amex and Cap1 HPs, and I’m over the line.

I still think it’s hilarious that I got an Amex, and a big ol’ middle finger from Disco. Lol.
FICO8 - Aug 2020
FICO9 - Aug 2019
Message 2 of 8
Raisondetre
Contributor

Re: Disco app status: “There was an error retrieving your application. Please try again.”

Disco can be quite weird sometimes. I'm surprised they approved me with all the inquiries I have, it took months of persistence until I finally got pre-approved and then approved though.
Most Used
Amex Hilton Honors Aspire - $30K
Amex Hilton Honors Business - $10K
Amex Amazon Prime Business - $12.4K

Used sparingly or in sock drawer
X1 Visa - $27K
PenFed Gold Visa - $9K
NavyFed Cash Rewards - $5K
Care Credit - $20K
Walmart Mastercard - $2K
Tractor Supply card - $6K
Amazon Prime Synchrony Card - $10K
Home Depot card - $12K
PNC Points - $13K
FNBO Evergreen - $2.8k
Discover It Chrome - $2.8K
Discover it Cash Back - $1K
FNBO Visa Signature - $1K
Commence Bank Special Connections - $2K
WF Reflect - $4K

Fico scores September 2023
Equifax - 786
Experian - 770
Transunion - 776
Had scores in the 500s 5 years ago
Message 3 of 8
8bitmachinegun
Regular Contributor

Got my official rejection today:

UTILIZATION TOO HIGH (14% is too high?? WTH?)

NO MORTGAGE ON CREDIT REPORT

Super weird. I think I'm supposed to build my credit with three cards. I've got the AMEX and Cap1 One, along with a secured card from my local CU. Do I need another "real" CC, or is the secured one good enough?

FICO8 - Aug 2020
FICO9 - Aug 2019
Message 4 of 8
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@8bitmachinegun wrote:

Super weird. I think I'm supposed to build my credit with three cards. I've got the AMEX and Cap1 One, along with a secured card from my local CU. Do I need another "real" CC, or is the secured one good enough?

The secured one is good enough. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 5 of 8
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@8bitmachinegun wrote:

Sorry OP, The first listed reason "TOO MANY RECENT INQUIRIES" is why you were denied.

Message 6 of 8
8bitmachinegun
Regular Contributor

So I took a look at my Experian credit report, and I have 3 recent inquiries as of the date that Disco pulled my credit. However..in Nov 2018 I tried to get an auto refinance through my local CU, and they ran 20 (that's right, 20) hard pulls with various finance companies. I've heard that lenders are supposed to "group" inquiries when you're loan shopping, but it looks like Disco is not doing that. Well, unless three pulls is considered excessive.

Is there any way I can smack my CU upside the head? More seriously, is there any way to consolidate or appeal all those hard pulls? 

FICO8 - Aug 2020
FICO9 - Aug 2019
Message 7 of 8
ZackAttack
Established Contributor

@8bitmachinegun wrote:

So I took a look at my Experian credit report, and I have 3 recent inquiries as of the date that Disco pulled my credit. However..in Nov 2018 I tried to get an auto refinance through my local CU, and they ran 20 (that's right, 20) hard pulls with various finance companies. I've heard that lenders are supposed to "group" inquiries when you're loan shopping, but it looks like Disco is not doing that. Well, unless three pulls is considered excessive.

Is there any way I can smack my CU upside the head? More seriously, is there any way to consolidate or appeal all those hard pulls? 

The only way that I know of disputing a Hard pull is by sending a snail mail letter to Experian or heading to your CU and dispute it with them in person with copies of your credit report.

MSGCU Rewards | $8kDiscover Cash It | $10kAmex BCP | $15kBest Buy Visa | $20kChase Freedom Flex | $8kDCU Platinum | $8kNFCU Plat | $35kNFCU cashRewards | $24kAffinity FCU Cash Rewards | $7kAmazon Prime | 12.5kChase Unlimited | 16.4kUSAA Cashback Rewards Plus Amex | 10kAmex Business Cash | 10k

Loans
Ford Credit Car Loan 2-year 6/22/2023 ($299/month)
Closed
Michigan Schools & Gov't CU Titanium 1/4/2019 - 10/2/2020
Ford Credit Car Loan 3-year 7/31/2018-6/6/2021
$1,500 Discover Card 10/2/2020 - 8/18/2021
$3,500 Citi DC 10/14/2020 - 12/11/2021
$8,000 DCU Personal Loan 5-year 5.99% 10/2/2020 - 4/30/2021
$8,000 NFCU CashRewards 1/2/2021 - 7/30/2022
$5,000 MSGCU Personal Loan 3-year 7.75% 4/22/2022 - 10/30/2022
Ford Credit Car Loan 2-year 6/7/2021 - 6/22/2023
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.