Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover 2nd (second) card app thread

tag
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Re: Discover 2nd card no prequal offer

You could try for a perm APR now and app for another discover card closer to when the other 0% offer expires. Or even in a month or so if you wanted... Esp if they offer you the 14 month or more 0% on the new card... 

Could app now ....

Still should be long enough for you to be probably be eligible for a 0% offer in january on the original card... its about 6 months between asking...

You got options... 

-J

@Anonymous wrote:

@shoegal wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Checked this morning and Disco apparently wants to give me a second card. Miles and It, 20.24%, 0% for 14. 

I would probably end up getting a $500 limit though which would be pointless for a 0% card so I am going to pass. I have a $12,700 card with $18K income, I would say I have a pretty good chance of a low limit. 

The APR is 2% less than what my current one is going to at the end of this month though and it’s nice to be wanted so there’s that! 🤣 

Why not ask for an APR reduction instead?

Well I plan to do that too but I’m holding off until I have use for a 0% financing offer. I would rather have 0% for 12 months come January when my BBVA 0% ends than have a permanent APR reduction which is kind of moot next to my NFCU Platinum and it’s 8.24% with the same $12,700 limit. 

I was just remarking that the APR is lower, it’s not really of any consequence to me but my theory is that lower APR would have a better chance of a usable SL even with my current exposure since lower APRs generally mean they find you less risky.

3% with my spend would likely only amount to an extra $100 for the match though, possibly even less since I do so much spending on Amazon, so I will keep the fact they will give me another card in my back pocket but look for other card options that have $100 or better SUB available. 

-)

Message 301 of 431
Anonymous
Not applicable

I asked Discover about combination of cards/ limits. She said:
1. You have to have a credit limit increase available on one of the cards enough to accommodate both limits. (Not sure if that means if the CLI available is not sufficient you can't combine them).
2. You don't need to have a $0 balance on either card.
3. If there is a promotional APR on the receiving card, you won't lose it.

Sounds great!
Message 302 of 431
stinastina
Established Contributor

Hey, guys, I would like your advice please. My It card is over a year old. I wanted to see if I prequalified for a 2nd card. I keep getting a website error or lately I am sent to the login page with a message that my info does not match and to please log in. Of course, if I log in, there is no where to even apply for a card. I'm too timid to apply directly at the moment. Has anyone had this problem ?

BK7 Discharge 1/16
10/15 ~ EQ: 406; TU: 520
10/18 ~ EX: 666; TU: 646; EQ: 652
Message 303 of 431
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@stinastina wrote:

Hey, guys, I would like your advice please. My It card is over a year old. I wanted to see if I prequalified for a 2nd card. I keep getting a website error or lately I am sent to the login page with a message that my info does not match and to please log in. Of course, if I log in, there is no where to even apply for a card. I'm too timid to apply directly at the moment. Has anyone had this problem ?

Call Discover Customer Service Phone# on The Back of your card, ask for Help to Resolve.

Message 304 of 431
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Ive only prequalifiedfor a cc 1 time my whole life....Discover this yearSmiley Wink. Definetly call and ask if you are seeing errors. Cant hurt to ask. I probably should have waited since they gave me a horrible apr but , meh, pif eliminates thatSmiley Wink
Message 305 of 431
Anonymous
Not applicable

Now that I actually want to merge the two cards in can't get a CLI to save my life, lol!
I'm wondering if my second card being at 12% utilization is stopping both of my cards from getting a CLI. Card #1 at 1% utilization....
Message 306 of 431
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I am going to try a preapproval now, for scientific purposes  only 

I bet I get secured card with  99% APR 

BRB 

Message 307 of 431
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Remedios wrote:

I am going to try a preapproval now, for scientific purposes  only 

I bet I get secured card with  99% APR 

BRB 

I am pre-qualed for the best rate, but i bet if I was dumb enough to apply I would get a 1k SL Smiley Tongue

Message 308 of 431
stinastina
Established Contributor

It turns out I just needed to clear my cookies. I didn't get any offers but my EX is 663. Is that good enough to get another card ?

BK7 Discharge 1/16
Message 309 of 431
stinastina
Established Contributor

Well, I was denied for a 2nd card. The only reason given was my 3 1/2 year old bankruptcy, which is weird because it was on my report when I got my 1st Discover card.

BK7 Discharge 1/16
Message 310 of 431
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.