Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover 2nd (second) card app thread

tag
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Re: Close 2nd Disco then apply for 2nd

Call them and ask them

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 331 of 431
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wanted to know this as well. I made $800 on my last cash back match.... which is why I want to do it. if this works I may do this as well.
Message 332 of 431
Anonymous
Not applicable

In order to combine the cards, you will need a CLI available on one. You can check online and when it tells you one is available, don't accept it and call in. The great thing about Discover is they generally know what you're talking about when you tell them about it. They can see that uouhad a CLI available that same day, do the combination and give you the CLI. There was a similar process for the reallocation when I did it.

If you close a card, there's really no guarantee that you'll ever gain that CL again. You may also not be viewed as favorably the next time you apply (because Discover is hard to figure out; it's not purely scores). There's also a possibility that you may not qualify for a new card the pre-qualification could be based on old data (?). If you apply and get rejected you could waste a HP.

I do sense the urgency. I heard a commercial the other day mentioning cash back match for new customers only, so who knows how long it will last. Personally I'm just going to try to combine, getting a higher CL, and hopefully get card #2/3 with the match.
Message 333 of 431
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have considered closing my first disco twin in hopes it would get me a cli. But it like u said better to combine after a year. Hopefully they don't get rid of that like cap1 once i was ready to combine.
Discover was the only card I used during rebuild. It gets much less use now. Partly I'm meeting minimum spend, and partly I have cards that have better rewards in some categories now.
I will attempt to combine limits, at that point I'll decide if I want another Discover or maybe hold off and wait until I'm under 5/24 and get in with Chase. Still waiting on my cli. Good luck everyone on your credit journey
Message 334 of 431
Anonymous
Not applicable

I doubt they will end cashback match. I'm thinking the commercial mean not for new cards in first year.
Are u saying it may mean if u have a disco card and get a new one they would not offer cash back match, because ur not a new customer. I highly doubt this since nobody would have any reason for a second card. Since ppl only get 2nd card because first card cashback match ends. But who knows I guess
Message 335 of 431
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dktk6802:
Sounds like a plan to me. Good luck and hope your patience pays off.

Yes, the wording of the commercial was that cash back match was for new customers only. This may not be in effect yet, but I have no doubt that they'll cut off getting 3, 4 and more years of this. It's a large amount of money. When I got my second AMEX, I don't get the bonus. I think Discover's cards are good enough that people would get one or two regardless. We shall see. 😥
Message 336 of 431
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover 2nd (second) card app thread

I started with a secured Discover IT 10/2017 with a CL of $300. After 6 months of use they auto CLI to $1500. During that time I managed to have all my collections(6 to be exact) paid and removed. My last late pay was over 3 years ago, so I have done a tremendous amount of credit clean up after being young and very irresponsible. After I had the card 1 year they auto increased to $2500, at 18 months I called and was told the max CL I could get for now would be $3800. Fast forward today I went on the website and prequalified for 3 different cards. I bit the bullet and applied, instant approval with a $12000 CL. I almost passed out.
Equifax-695
Transunion-710
Experian-714
Average age of accounts is 3 years 9 months.
Those are all FICO scores from this site as of today. I also just paid off $8000 worth of debt and Equifax actually tanked me 15 points for that? 😑
Also they did Hard Pull my Experian instantly.
Message 337 of 431
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Dktk6802:
Sounds like a plan to me. Good luck and hope your patience pays off.

Yes, the wording of the commercial was that cash back match was for new customers only. This may not be in effect yet, but I have no doubt that they'll cut off getting 3, 4 and more years of this. It's a large amount of money. When I got my second AMEX, I don't get the bonus. I think Discover's cards are good enough that people would get one or two regardless. We shall see. 😥

I will believe this when I see it. Discover’s model is actually profitable when compared to up front SUB offers because it gets customers to use their card for everything which means lots of swipe fees. The new customer verbiage is probably more that existing cardholders can’t call and ask for the offer or something. 

Maybe I will just go for that second Disco when I get my debt paid down in December just in case though. I wanted to hold off until my 0% on my SavorOne is up next October. 

Message 338 of 431
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree. What they have done is very smart. I think they are trying to keep more people past the first year. Maybe but even if I don't get a new Disco and lose the match I'll still have use for the 5%. For me it's the first prime card I got and the math makes it a keeper either way.
Message 339 of 431
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was already out of the garden after going for the Citi Rewards+ so I figured I would take a shot at a Discover IT Miles too. 

I used a $100 referral code and was approved for a $3K SL. 

Pulled EX - 721

This brings my Disco exposure to $15,700 on $18K of income. 

Not that it matters but ongoing APR is 24.99%, the max, after my 0% for 15. 

Message 340 of 431
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.