Did you mean: 

Discover 2nd (second) card app thread

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover 2nd (second) card app thread

@randomguy1 wrote:

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Ill never max out a cat or max spend so ill never know that feeling but heck , a little extra money doesn't hurtSmiley Wink

Just trying to get a value on what is essentially opening a new card every year with Disco vs the return of churning other cards. It's kinda like sub hunting.

Am I looking at this right? If not maxing the spend of $600 a year, wonder if going for another SUB would be more profitable? Of course you could just want to stay with disco too. Smiley Happy

Why not just go for a second year of match AND a SUB on another card? 

Message 401 of 431
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@randomguy1 wrote:

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Ill never max out a cat or max spend so ill never know that feeling but heck , a little extra money doesn't hurtSmiley Wink

Just trying to get a value on what is essentially opening a new card every year with Disco vs the return of churning other cards. It's kinda like sub hunting.

Am I looking at this right? If not maxing the spend of $600 a year, wonder if going for another SUB would be more profitable? Of course you could just want to stay with disco too. Smiley Happy

Why not just go for a second year of match AND a SUB on another card? 

Good point, in my personal situation 5/24. Otherwise perhaps don't want to open up that many CC due to credit hits, aaoa, etc.. I mean basically it is taking the place of another card/sub. 

Message 402 of 431
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

Hit the 12 month on my secured card without graduation and checked prequalify/applied successfully for second card.

1st card - Secured Chrome, opened with $500, later PC'd to cash back IT and over time increased security deposit to $2500. Has not yet graduated (statement date is the 4th, so still possible for next week). Hard pull TU 2 months after bk7 discharge, score ~580. I average ~$1500/more in spending, it's my everyday card.

2nd card - Hard pull Experian 708 today. 19.49% and $14,500. Had to provide proof of address (at my new place about a year). Called in after sending documentation.

Kind of in shock. Making good progress on my rebuild, but was not expecting such a huge limit. Still expecting a call back that they made a mistake.

Desired BK recovery line up complete 7/12/2021. Planning to garden until 8/2023 and potentially try for AMEX.
Message 403 of 431
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Congrats @recoveringfrombk7 Smiley Happy Thats a huge limit! Took me almost 4 years to even approach that limitSmiley Wink. Enjoy!
Message 404 of 431
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

I'm still really surprised, but I have loved the card and the customer service. My only negative was the lack of graduating. They have a customer for life now. I'll definitely apply again in a year and try to get the % down over time, but since I no longer carry balances it's not an urgent thing. Thanks so much to this thread and all of the others here. This place is a game changer.

Desired BK recovery line up complete 7/12/2021. Planning to garden until 8/2023 and potentially try for AMEX.
Message 405 of 431
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is a great limit. I've only recently had luck with discover cli. My 2nd card got doubled to 4k at 6 months mark. Then about 25 days later another 500... it is odd how discover decides on cli.. But I will most likely get a 3rd card at some point next year. They are also my favorite online bank account
Message 406 of 431
Anonymous
Not applicable

To all the LIE especially, I've found that it easy to almost max out the last quarter. Between coupons, and the deep discount sites, you can really put a lot on the card without having to dig into your own pocket. It also cuts down on the amount you have to spend on your own personal necessities. Pair that with a decent cashback app and the cash back match on Discover IT can be worth a lot more than that. I wish I understood that my first two cards. Getting smarter each card! 😁
Message 407 of 431
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
That is a great limit. I've only recently had luck with discover cli. My 2nd card got doubled to 4k at 6 months mark. Then about 25 days later another 500... it is odd how discover decides on cli.. But I will most likely get a 3rd card at some point next year. They are also my favorite online bank account

@Anonymous 

AFAIK, you can only have 2 disco cards that are in your name. As always YMMV, and the rules do change, but that one has been pretty solid in the 2+ years i have been with Disco and on here. Altho you can have unlimited as an AU on other accounts. 

Message 408 of 431
JNA1
Valued Contributor

My Cash Back match just ended, so this coming year, I’m going to use my PPMC as my daily driver to replace the 2% I was getting with my Discover It card.

Our eventual plan is to get a Discover Miles for me a year from now, and then get DW an It Cash Back card the year after that and then a Miles card for her the year after that.

We decided to hold off this year because I had openings so many card recently, and her profile is very new and thin. By the end of next year I’m hopeful I can snag a Miles card with a good limit. 2 years from now DW should have a pretty strong profile by then to get her a decent limit on one or the other also.
Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 409 of 431
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jago22- Ty I'm aware I would have to close one card.
I dont see any better options for cashback than discover. I max out the quarters, and enjoy the lump sum or cb match at end of year.
I cant find acars that will give me 500+ cb that easy
Message 410 of 431
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.