Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover 2nd (second) card app thread

tag
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

Re: Discover 2nd (second) card app thread

You could always wait for CLI during a less active quarter for yourself, merge them, and then start over with a new second card.

Desired BK recovery line up complete 7/12/2021. Planning to garden until 8/2023 and potentially try for AMEX.
Message 411 of 431
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JNA1 I'm looking for ways to max out the gas/ CVS/ Walgreens. Maybe buying a gas gift card for the rest of the year but I was also thinking Amazon gift cards (inside CVS? Valero? Shell? Arco?).
Have you had any success or suggestions about this?
Message 412 of 431
JNA1
Valued Contributor

I’ve bought a few gift cards in gas stations to get 5% cash back, but I haven’t pushed my luck on it too much. My wife and I both commute and we funnel my teenage daughter’s gas through the card, so over $1000 a quarter gets spent on gas already for us, so between coffee, occasional snacks, and the Gas station near my work has a pretty good lunch menu, we really have no problem meeting the $1500 quarterly spend organically. If you can catch sales on soft drinks (and sometimes even beer) at a gas station that makes their price competitive with grocery store, I’ve spent some money on that too. I recently got the PNC Cash Rewards card (4% gas) to compliment the 5% quarter on my Discover because we do spend so much at gas stations! 😂🙈
Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 413 of 431
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes that's exactly what I plan to do. But why on a less active quarter? Does it matter what ur spend is that quarter to combine cards?
Message 414 of 431
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@recoveringfrombk7 wrote:
Hit the 12 month on my secured card without graduation and checked prequalify/applied successfully for second card.

1st card - Secured Chrome, opened with $500, later PC'd to cash back IT and over time increased security deposit to $2500. Has not yet graduated (statement date is the 4th, so still possible for next week). Hard pull TU 2 months after bk7 discharge, score ~580. I average ~$1500/more in spending, it's my everyday card.

2nd card - Hard pull Experian 708 today. 19.49% and $14,500. Had to provide proof of address (at my new place about a year). Called in after sending documentation.

Kind of in shock. Making good progress on my rebuild, but was not expecting such a huge limit. Still expecting a call back that they made a mistake.

KUDOS to you recoveringfrombk7. That is an awesome approval and SL.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 415 of 431
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sabi I've had success buying gcs at gas stations no problem. I bought 1000$ spread out at circle k, shell and sunoco last gas quarter
Message 416 of 431
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just checked and have a cli on older card. I'm waiting on CSR to reply. I'm attempting to move limit to other card. I'm interested to see how this works. It's only a 300 cli but first since card was unsecured at 2000 other has 4500 limit
Edit
I was told by a rep I wasnt aloud to transfer limits...I'm sure a CSR told me to not accept the cli and call in to move limits. I probably should of hung up and called back. But I just accepted the 300 cli.
I'm happy to have gotten this first cli since I know once the disco cli ball gets moving I will see more cli soon.
Now I'm not so sure I'll get a 3ed if I'm not aloud to move limits because I'm not about to close my oldest credit card the 2300 limit, but I'll make a decision on potentially canceling my newer card depending on how much the 4500 limit grows.
Maybe this is a sign lol
Message 417 of 431
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous
They say you have to but that wasn't the case for me. I accidentally accepted the CLI too one time. They still did the partial reallocation. As long as it's the same day it may not matter.
They've also told me they don't move limits at all once so I think not all of the CSR know. Just be aware that they will not be transferring the balance on the closed card.
Message 418 of 431
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Yes that's exactly what I plan to do. But why on a less active quarter? Does it matter what ur spend is that quarter to combine cards?

I suggested a less active quarter because if you are able to max out both cards for the 5% category in a given quarter the turn around time for having that cashback applied at the next statement, applying for a new card, receiving it, etc might dip into a busy quarter.  So I would think if you had a quarter that was less busy you would reduce any headaches.

Desired BK recovery line up complete 7/12/2021. Planning to garden until 8/2023 and potentially try for AMEX.
Message 419 of 431
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
@JNA1I'm looking for ways to max out the gas/ CVS/ Walgreens. Maybe buying a gas gift card for the rest of the year but I was also thinking Amazon gift cards (inside CVS? Valero? Shell? Arco?).
Have you had any success or suggestions about this?

I was thinking about doing this on the grocery shopping quarter.  We spend about 100/week on food, so I figured I'd just buy Aldi gift cards each visit and then use them in the "off-season" to max out the quarter on both cards.

Message 420 of 431
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.