cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover 4506-T request for Secured card???

tag
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover 4506-T request for Secured card???

@Anonymous wrote:

They said it's 30% more than what they made 3 years ago. They are asking for 2017 and 2018 so it won't match. I understand they need to prevent fraud but not asking for the correct return could make someone seem like they are lying when they aren't. 

Yeah, but many people HAVE lied to them in the past...and they are understandably paranoid about that when combined with today's quirky economic circumstances.

I have no great love for Discover. I find their policies obnoxious and carry none of their cards, but they are operating in a macro economy that may well look like this (my speculation only here):

Q1 -5% GDP

Q2 -12% GDP

Q3 +21% GDP

Q4 ????? GDP

I mean, they are literally trying to assess business needs in a year where a huge recession and recovery will take place in a span of less than 12 months. If you were Discover, wouldn't you verify income?

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 21 of 95
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCrusader wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

They said it's 30% more than what they made 3 years ago. They are asking for 2017 and 2018 so it won't match. I understand they need to prevent fraud but not asking for the correct return could make someone seem like they are lying when they aren't. 

Yeah, but many people HAVE lied to them in the past...and they are understandably paranoid about that when combined with today's quirky economic circumstances.

I have no great love for Discover. I find their policies obnoxious and carry none of their cards, but they are operating in a macro economy that may well look like this (my speculation only here):

Q1 -5% GDP

Q2 -12% GDP

Q3 +21% GDP

Q4 ????? GDP

I mean, they are literally trying to assess business needs in a year where a huge recession and recovery will take place in a span of less than 12 months. If you were Discover, wouldn't you verify income?

If I were discover I would verify income before approval or before a certain credit limit increase. Why? Because a persons income doesn't tell me whether they are going to pay their bill or not, only their ability to pay. So income verification would be set in place to decide a credit limit. A person with a secured card is setting their own limit and it's covered. They can't steal from themselves. Discover needs to put a better plan in place. Something like if their monthly minimum payment is going to be over a certain amount, verify their income.

Message 22 of 95
patoot10
Frequent Contributor

Discover pulls a report called "The Work Number", it's Equifax owned and guess who contributes to this report, your employer. I checked my report and it had my bi-weekly paycheck information for years. It's crazy how much private data about an American is being reported and sold all the time, we need better regulations.

Message 23 of 95
Anonymous
Not applicable

@patoot10 wrote:

Discover pulls a report called "The Work Number", it's Equifax owned and guess who contributes to this report, your employer. I checked my report and it had my bi-weekly paycheck information for years. It's crazy how much private data about an American is being reported and sold all the time, we need better regulations.

I saw that last night. I had no idea equifax had anything to do with payroll. I thought all that information went to the social security office and irs. How did equifax get it?

Message 24 of 95
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@patoot10 wrote:

...or you can learn about said lender's policies, decide whether you want to volunteer that information (because Discover cannot have access to my information unless I authorize it), and then make an informed decision.

I select my credit cards VERY carefully. I don't base it on someone's potential rewards or how much money I can make from them. I base it per a range of criteria that matches what they offer, their policies as lenders and that which meets my particular needs.

Not all lenders pry so deeply into your personal life and finances. Most are perfectly content to have you send paystubs once a year...and as long as you are using their credit lines responsibly, they don't really give it another thought.

But AMEX, Discover and some other prime lenders are especially paranoid and scrutinize your financial health very heavily, as is their right. You can try to "regulate" this until the cows come home, but they have no obligation to extend you or anyone else credit.

You want to squeeze these creditors? Watch what happens as we revert back to the 1980s, where only a select few were afforded the privilege of having and using Visa/MC/Amex charge/credit cards. Talk to anyone who was a working adult even as recent as the late 90s. It was prety difficult to get approved for a credit card unless your credit report was pristine and your DTI was outstanding. I was a single working adult with an outstanding established credit history, $36,000/year in disposable income and no debt...and I could only get a $1,000 line out of Discover.

Trying to force them to be less demanding where income verification is concerned will not help the general credit-using public.

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Message 25 of 95
patoot10
Frequent Contributor

You totally missed the point.

This isn't about lenders or squeezing them, this is about privacy and what's out there and can be hacked/leaked like we see it happening all the times.

As far as reading the terms and policies of a lender before applying, hahahaha yeah right like Discover is going to list the 6 different consumer databases they will check you aganist before you get to click that "Apply Now" so that you know exactly what to expect. you don't even know which major credit report they will pull !

To sum up my response, lenders are free to do what they want but aside from lenders, we need better regulations and education on what is being reported about our personal life. My employer didn't tell me that they will be sharing my income info to the public, I found out on my own and frooze that report and thats just not right.

If you don't understand the danger of reporting misc. info about someone's private life, watch this video so you can learn https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRrDsbUdY_k

Message 26 of 95
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@patoot10 wrote:

You totally missed the point.

This isn't about lenders or squeezing them, this is about privacy and what's out there and can be hacked/leaked like we see it happening all the times.

As far as reading the terms and policies of a lender before applying, hahahaha yeah right like Discover is going to list the 6 different consumer databases they will check you aganist before you get to click that "Apply Now" so that you know exactly what to expect. you don't even know which major credit report they will pull !

To sum up my response, lenders are free to do what they want but aside from lenders, we need better regulations and education on what is being reported about our personal life. My employer didn't tell me that they will be sharing my income info to the public, I found out on my own and frooze that report and thats just not right.

If you don't understand the danger of reporting misc. info about someone's private life, watch this video so you can learn https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRrDsbUdY_k

I didn't "totally miss" anything. I have been in the credit game for three decades, so I know exactly what they want and why they want it.

People are misrepresenting their income far too often these days. Some lenders are responding by requiring income verification, which is the responsible way for a lender to behave.

You are tragically misinformed about privacy and these lenders. You have to CHOOSE to accept their terms and conditions. You cannot go into a business relationship fully aware of their privacy policies...and then whine about them after the fact. No court in America is going to side with you on that...guaranteed.

And my point on "regulation" still stands. What you are suggesting amounts to SQUEEZING these lenders.The practical consequence of forcing them to ease their income verification policies will be fewer cards issued and lower credit limits. They will simply ditch customers whose income they cannot verify to their satisfaction.

This will lead us right back to the old days, where they all but required your DNA in order to issue a credit card. Heck, I remember having to bring monthly paystubs to Key Bank back in the 1990s on order to keep my first credit card with them. That was the price of using THEIR credit.

Either agree to the terms or ditch them. Those are your two options. If you open Door #3, be prepared for externalities that you will not like.

-end of rant-

Message 27 of 95
Lazyduck85

My problem is that they want to pull 2017-2018 tax transcripts which is a good amount less than what I earn now and last year. I changed job 2 years ago which pay me much higher. I am still waiting for them to response. If they decide to close my account, I will offer them my last year tax return and current paystubs. In the grand scheme of things, I am in a much better position now financially as I have zero debt and my income is steadily rising. I just have to be patient with my rebuilding process.

Starting Score: 02/15/20 Fico (TU) 500 Fico (EQ) 512 Fico (EX) 490
Current Score: 06/15/20 Fico (TU) 605 Fico (EQ) 617 Fico (EX) 590
Goal Score: 700+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 28 of 95
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

30% is unlikely to make much of a difference.  Discover is not looking to see that someone who is reporting $40k income only made like $32k 3 years ago; they are looking for someone reporting that they are making $200k a year didn't make $32k and $34k the previous few years.   It's not Discover who is requesting 2017 and 2018, it's just that those are the two most recent transcripts available from the IRS.  The previous year is unavailable until August, and for 2019 it will likely be much later as the deadline for filing has been pushed back to July 15th this year.

In a world where every part time Taco Bell employee is making $250k a year, it's not an unreasonable request from the lender.  It's voluntary and not required; one can always just not keep the card.

As for The Work Number, not all employer payroll is compiled there and it is most certainly not available to the general public.  Anyone pulling a report must have a permissible purpose.

Message 29 of 95
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

30% is unlikely to make much of a difference.  Discover is not looking to see that someone who is reporting $40k income only made like $32k 3 years ago; they are looking for someone reporting that they are making $200k a year didn't make $32k and $34k the previous few years.   It's not Discover who is requesting 2017 and 2018, it's just that those are the two most recent transcripts available from the IRS.  The previous year is unavailable until August, and for 2019 it will likely be much later as the deadline for filing has been pushed back to July 15th this year.

In a world where every part time Taco Bell employee is making $250k a year, it's not an unreasonable request from the lender.  It's voluntary and not required; one can always just not keep the card.

As for The Work Number, not all employer payroll is compiled there and it is most certainly not available to the general public.  Anyone pulling a report must have a permissible purpose.

There is a world of difference between $20,000.00 and $30,000.00.

For someone who might be struggling, that's the difference between being able to pay your bills,  and needing cards to pay your bills. 

If you need to know what Discover finds as an acceptable difference, there is a pretty large thread with many data points, and that's without those who started their own threads. 

They have shut cards down for a whole lot less. I think the largest discrepancy where card survived was 10%, but in that case, due to backlog, they allowed paystubs and bank statements

Discover not only will pull Work Number, they also pull sage stream, ars, chex. 

So, yeah, they are concerned about discrepancy between reality and "they'll never know"  

But yeah, everyone around here be in "upper six figures" and sometimes that means counting zeros past the period. 

Message 30 of 95
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.