cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover CLI Denial (insufficient experience with CL)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover CLI Denial (insufficient experience with CL)

Like others, I too routinely get the insufficient message from discover. I’ve gone months without a CLI even when requesting them every week. I did manage to get a CLI of 3500 bucks last month from them so maybe the well has been sprung. I’ll shoot for another CLI in a few months and see what happens.
Message 21 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been hitting Discover for the past three months (1 time every month) and got a instant $500. Called in and they gave me at least double each time. I am bound to get a no soon and I will be okay with it. Just let Disco sit and pay them off if you can. Their APR has skyrocketed over the past two years.
Message 22 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

I've heard that transaction count can also be a factor, regardless of dollar spend.

I suppose it could be on some profiles, but from my testing it never mattered.  I've gone cycles with 0 transactions and received a CLI and then gone cycles with 30-40 transactions and seen no CLI.  I personally don't think that spend/swipes matter in the majority of situations.

Message 23 of 59
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Question about double dipping, if you get CLI online, you then call in to request another one? I presume they can see that the person just received one. I guess that doesn't matter?  Also, would it matter if the increase received online was instant or after waiting a couple days to receive an answer?  I might try that next time. I haven't received an instant increase from them yet. It's always been after waiting a few days to see if they will give me some love. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 24 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe you can request online or call. 

The best DDD (Discover Double Dip) results usually come after receiving an auto-CLI from Discover, then immediately (say, within a few days) log into your account and request another CLI online.  Many people, I'd say at least 50% report a favorable DDD when following this.

Message 25 of 59
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@masscredit

For me, my 3 successful DDs came when I asked for the CLIs online and was instantly approved. Then I immediately called in and stated, “I was just approved for a
CLI and was wondering if I could get more with the SP.” each time, literally took the CSR <5 mins to double what I had.

Only one time after instant CLI was I told it would have to be a HP. Since the increase was for $3K, I declined the HP.

FYI. In the more than 2 yrs with Disco, I never got an auto CLI.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 26 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've only tried the DDD twice, with a 50% success rate.

I first tried it following an auto-CLI around my 3rd statement after getting the card.  Once I received the auto-CLI, I logged into my account and requested a CLI at the advice of this forum and was met with an instant approval for I believe the same amount of the auto-CLI.  The auto-CLI was for $3800 and the DDD was for $4000, so the DDD actually slightly exceeded the auto-CLI.  $7800 combined was pretty good and it took my $12,500 SL across the $20k mark in under 4 months.

My unsuccessful attempt came sometime last fall following a requested and approved online CLI that brought my limit to $39,800.  I really wanted another $200 just for OCD purposes and having a nice even round limit, so I called up and requested a DDD to see if there was $200 on the table for me.  There wasn't, so it was unsuccessful.

I think in general people see better results with DDD attempts following auto-CLIs, as I think the automatic ones often don't give you everything available... where when you request a CLI it's more often that the number provided is in fact the max allowed for your profile at that moment. 

Message 27 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have that same problem with OCD, and have been trying to round up that odd CL. But every CLI since the initial odd has all be even.lol

I wonder if you could counter with 200 when they offer 500?

Message 28 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have that same problem with OCD, and have been trying to round up that odd CL. But every CLI since the initial odd has all be even.lol

I wonder if you could counter with 200 when they offer 500?

Yes, you definitely can.  I started with a $12,500 limit with Discover... while not exactly round at an even $1000 increment, a $500 midpoint wasn't the end of the world OCD wise for me.  Well, that $500 went out the window for me with my first CLI(s) which ended with me at a ,$300 limit, where I've resided essentially ever since.

When approved for a CLI, though, one can definitely back down what they accept to an "even" more aesthetically pleasing number.  My problem is that I'm greedy and whatever number I'm offered from a CLI of course I want to take in full.  This always results in me continuing to have an oddball limit though. 

You can definitely contact Discover at any given point and request a CLD, though, bringing yourself down to a clean/even CL.

Message 29 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

I went from 1000 to 10,500 in 6 months.  I was never denied a CLI 3/3. 

I got an auto CLI in June 18  from 1k to 2k, then in Aug requested a CLI -> only got 1k through the app, called and analyst gave me 4500.

Tried again in Nov, CLI to 6750, tried again today, just called and ask the rep to submit a CLI, got approved to 10,500. 

I have a 3k balance on the card as of today, I have charged around 12k since June 18 and usually never made a paynment less than 2,000. Just giving my info, hope it helps anyone.

Message 30 of 59
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.