cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover CLI Denial (insufficient experience with CL)

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Discover CLI Denial (insufficient experience with CL)

@masscredit wrote:

It's been my main card to take advantage of their double rewards for the first 12 months and 5% on select catagories. I've read that it can grow to a healthy limit. Seems to grow faster for some people than others. I'll wait until it's 6 months from my last increase then try again. 

Did you get an offer of double rewards for the second or third year?

@masscredit wrote:

Opened account - 1/31/17 - $6000.00

5/18/18 - $6500.00

8/4/18 - $7000.00

9/27/18 - $9700.00

1/30/19 - No

It looks to me like the double rewards ended more than year ago. Did you merge two cards or something?

But if they're giving you a 3rd year of 2x rewards, then by all means stick with it!

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 11 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

At any CL, it's still a card with a $1,500 quarterly 5% cap and few remaining benefits. At some point, it may be worth moving your spend to greener pastures.

Actually it still has utility for balance transfers and you can call and ask for an APR reduction and they’ll occasionally offer you 0% for a year (saw someone say this was available every 18 months). If you’re in the garden and have a big purchase, that can come in handy and Disco actually doesn’t mind customers who carry a balance either. 

Disco ballooned from $7500 to $11200 for me and it will be a year old in March - my only $10K+. That trust opens doors later. 

Message 12 of 59
ksantangelo23
Frequent Contributor

I've given up trying to understand Discover...

While I dont use the card throughout the year, I put at least $4000-5000 through it per year, and usually max out Q3 and Q4 rewards.

After 6 years, I've only gotten two CLIs.. 2,500 SL>4,000>6,000. On my last CLI recon, I got an extra $500.

AMEX Hilton Ascend: $55,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve: $30,000 | PNC Points: $17,500 | AMEX BCE (AU): $18,000 | AMEX BCP: $15,000 | US Bank Cash+ $15,000 | AMEX Business Prime: $14,000 | AMEX SimplyCash: $12,000 | Capital One QS: $13,500 | Chase Business Ink: $12,000 | PNC Everyday (AU): $12,000 | JCPenny Store Card: $10,500 | Chase Slate: $9,400 | Capital One QS: $6,500 | (2nd) US Bank Cash+ (2nd): $7,500 | Discover IT: $6,000 | Chase Freedom: $3,500 | Auto Lease: $0/$21,000 | Auto Loan: $0/$18,000 |

TU: 818 EX: 809 EQ: 801

Message 13 of 59
masscredit
Valued Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@masscredit wrote:

It's been my main card to take advantage of their double rewards for the first 12 months and 5% on select catagories. I've read that it can grow to a healthy limit. Seems to grow faster for some people than others. I'll wait until it's 6 months from my last increase then try again. 

Did you get an offer of double rewards for the second or third year?

@masscredit wrote:

Opened account - 1/31/17 - $6000.00

5/18/18 - $6500.00

8/4/18 - $7000.00

9/27/18 - $9700.00

1/30/19 - No

It looks to me like the double rewards ended more than year ago. Did you merge two cards or something?

But if they're giving you a 3rd year of 2x rewards, then by all means stick with it!

Thanks for posting that. I didn't realise there was a typo for the opening year. I opened the account 1/31/18. It said 17 in the first post. I just corrected it. My double rewards offer has ended. I ended up with a total of $380.00

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

SDFCU Secured - $5000 / TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 14 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

@masscredit wrote:

I received a thin enveope from Discover today. A single piece of paper told me I was denied because of insufficient experience with my current credit limit. I had been requesting increases every every 3-4 statements (sometimes sooner).

I'm running over $5K though it this month and will have it paid off before they'd want to charge me interest. Maybe that will put a little more experience under my belt Smiley Happy

A few things here, MC.  One, "insufficient experience with credit limit" doesn't have to do with spend at all IMO.  Bumping it up from $3k to $5k or higher isn't going to give you more experience.  What this statement refers to is the element of time.  They simply want your profile at that [current] limit longer.  Case in point, I've received insufficient experience denials from Discover and then not used their card at all after and received a CLI (say) a month or two later.  Clearly it wasn't the dollars here that mattered, it was the passing of additional time.

I suggest hammering them with requests as often as you're comfortable doing so.  I've gone from requesting CLIs from them on the first Monday of the month following my statement ending (so monthly) to every single Monday (weekly) for 3/4 of a year.  I'm now back to monthly.  I'm not sure I've ever done it less than monthly to be honest; maybe I've gone 2 months once or twice simply because I forgot.  Anyway, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.  If you do have a CLI waiting for you due to sufficient [experience] time elapsing on your profile since your last CLI, it's better to know and get it sooner rather than later.  If you're requesting every 3-4 or 6 months, perhaps that CLI was available months earlier and you just didn't know about it because you didn't ask.

Message 15 of 59
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@ksantangelo23 wrote:

I've given up trying to understand Discover...

While I dont use the card throughout the year, I put at least $4000-5000 through it per year, and usually max out Q3 and Q4 rewards.

After 6 years, I've only gotten two CLIs.. 2,500 SL>4,000>6,000. On my last CLI recon, I got an extra $500.

Spread out over half the year, that's only perhaps $1,500 in your busiest month. Even with your good credit and the healthy income implied by your other CLs, that may not be enough to persuade them you need a bigger CL.

Message 16 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

Spread out over half the year, that's only perhaps $1,500 in your busiest month. Even with your good credit and the healthy income implied by your other CLs, that may not be enough to persuade them you need a bigger CL.

Discover CLIs can be had with little to no use of their card, as ridiculous as that sounds.  Spend IMO when it comes to Discover is not at all a significant factor when CLIs are considered.

Message 17 of 59
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

Discover CLIs can be had with little to no use of their card, as ridiculous as that sounds.  Spend IMO when it comes to Discover is not at all a significant factor when CLIs are considered.

I've heard that transaction count can also be a factor, regardless of dollar spend.

But with my _joint_ account going from $2k to $3k over a 5-year period (despite a few $20k SLs since then), I can't provide much data.

Message 18 of 59
imaximous
Valued Contributor

I've been getting those denial letters since last July. Probably about 10 denials so far. I'm stuck at $11.5k. 

Highest CL is $48k. At this point, I only hit the CLI button for fun. I don't need a higher CL for purchasing power, but their balance transfer offers can be enticing at times. However, a $10k BT on an $11.5k CL wouldn't be much fun for my reports. That's the only reason I'd like it higher.

Message 19 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

@masscredit wrote:

Last week I tried for another Discover CLI. I've been going the card a decent amount of use.  $1K-$3K most months. I then either PIF before the statement closes or I let the balance report then PIF before the due date. I'm currently at $9700. I was very confidence that I'd receive an increase that would put me over the $10K mark.  Nope, nothing...  was denied! 

I received a thin enveope from Discover today. A single piece of paper told me I was denied because of insufficient experience with my current credit limit. I had been requesting increases every every 3-4 statements (sometimes sooner).

I got that same insufficient experience verbage about 6 months ago with my last CLI request. So I BT'd $10K to it and have been paying $1K monthly, then decided to ask again yesterday and got a piful $500 offer. lol

The CLI just before that on 2/24/18 was $4500 with hardly any use, so I have no clue what their methodology is.

Message 20 of 59
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.