cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover CLI Denied!

Your FICO® Scores can impact your loan interest rates, terms, approvals and more.
Frequent Contributor

Discover CLI Denied!

The last CLI on my Discover IT card was in early October 2018, and it brought my SL up to $3,900. I dutifully waited 3 months and applied for another CLI today. It was denied even though my TU FICO 8 score (reported by Discover) is 736. My income is high and my DTI is around 16%.

I'm wondering whether the reason is that I was approved recently for a second Discover IT card with twice the SL of the first card? Does approval of a second card reset the clock on a CLI for the first card? 

I realize there may be no rhyme or reason to Discover's decision making but thought I'd ask. The second card is the only reason I can think of why they would deny me a CLI on the first card!

17 REPLIES 17

Re: Discover CLI Denied!

Discover will consider overall exposure for CLIs and/or when approving a 2nd CC.

It's been reported that they can carve out from an existing CL to approve a 2nd card or approve a 2nd card, but a very low SL.

Potentially, they assessed you have adequate exposure with them, regardless of whether you have high scores or income. You can roll the dice (whenever the option becomes available) to HP and see if that yields anything down the road.
Message 2 of 18
Community Leader
Valued Contributor

Sorry for the denial on your cli..

There's no rhyme or reason to Disco's cli algorithm from what I can tell.roulette-wheel.gif

They are by FAR my lowest CL and they haven't budged for me in over 6 months.

I'm going to just stop asking.. I love my purple & iridescent cards but with my CL at $3300. I have cards with much more usable limits.. 

IDK if the second card has anything to do with it, sorry. They keep offering me another card but I'm self imposed gardening for at least a year now.

AnimatedgardeningSmiley.gif

SIGH. 

Message 3 of 18
Established Contributor

Yeah, they stopped giving me the quarterly CLI around 6 months ago as well. I think it's probably because of cumulative exposure and the amount of overall available credit on my profile. That said, they are still my highest CL and since I've opened my card with them almost 4 years ago, my CL has increased 10x so they have been generous to me and I'm not disappointed. I'm actually somewhat grateful to them for cutting me off. It's made me reevaluate my need for CLIs, especially on cards that I don't use that often. I've almost completely stopped requesting CLIs at all since. 

Message 4 of 18
Community Leader
Super Contributor

You're now in the *Tea leaves say you don't have enough experience with your current limit* club.

I'm a card carrying member, myself.
Message 5 of 18
Community Leader
Valued Contributor

@Remedios wrote:
You're now in the *Tea leaves say you don't have enough experience with your current limit* club.

I'm a card carrying member, myself.

AAsmiley_winnerding.gif  That's my club too! 

Message 6 of 18
Valued Contributor

Hmm.. Still got this itch to hit up Miss Disco but im pretty sure iv reached the end of the line...

-J

Message 7 of 18
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Hit the button J, its like 1 second. Do what i do, if the screen pops up not at this time, just close your browser and walk away lol.
Message 8 of 18
Highlighted

Been 5 months since my last CLI and 800+ TU score..  SMH, but many better lenders than discover for people that have good income and scores to back it.  They are good for two things the 1500 quarterly if that cat fit you and BT's(although CU's and some other lenders put them to shame on this as well) and that is basically it IMO.  Otherwise alot better options out there for most people.  Chalk it up and move on as I pipe in alot on discover DP's as certain lenders look for certain people/things while other lenders look for other things where one might do good with discover they would get denied with another lender and vice-versa.  I am slowly learning to accept I am not their target adience to get the big CL's in a short period of time unlike some others.

Chase | Citibank | Amex | BofA | PenFed | NFCU | Discover | Fifth Third Bank | BB&T | Synovus | Commerce
Message 9 of 18
Established Contributor

I second CreditCuriosity statements. For it's 5% categories and few other things, it's a decent all around card but there are better options out there. I have noticed that as your scores get better, Discover falls further back in the pack. It's great for thin/rebuilders/etc. But for those of us that have high scores/high limits, it's an average card. It's great in the first year for the CB match, but after that, it sorta falls in the average/good category.
Message 10 of 18