Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover CLI/NFCU Denial

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover CLI/NFCU Denial

Well, my secured Discover it card is now unsecured and my $400 limit was bumped to $1,500. It took about 6 months and was done automatically. 

I had just hit my third statement and was on day 94 after opening my first NFCU credit card. It has a $3,500 CL, and I was going to request a CLI after applying for a new card. 

Do I need a new card, not really. However, I was excited to have one of NFCUs famous high credit limits. After being denied by Apple a few times over the last year until last week where I was approved for $4,500 (I declined the offer), and with my scores in the 690s, I thought I would have not issues. 

I was wrong. 

I knew the flagship card had harder underwriting, but I figured let's go for it. After about 20 long seconds, I was denied. Well, there goes a wasted HP (just had two fall off for being over 2 years old). Perhaps I would have had better luck with the platinum card or the Amex version. 

I then decided to request a CLI. I thought they were asking what amount I'd like to add to my current limit so I put $4,000 ($7500 total), but it seems it was asking for the total amount I wanted it to end up being. 

So, did I just request a $4,000 increase or a $500 increase? I'll get their answer eventually. 

I'm just disappointed that I wasted a hard pull on a denial. 

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover CLI/NFCU Denial

Every time I asked for a CLI at Discover it is always a SP. Approved or Declined still always a SP.

If you went for a brand new card that would be a HP.

At Discover you can have two cards but your first card must be one year old or you will be an instant decline. You can apply for a second card when your first card is a year and a day old.

Thanks

Mark

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sorry, the auto CLI and conversion to unsecured was with discover. 

The new card denial and CLI request were for Navy Federa

Message 3 of 12
AmericanSkin
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm sorry, the auto CLI and conversion to unsecured was with discover. 

The new card denial and CLI request were for Navy Federa

NFCU takes into account the entirety of the profile when it comes to underwriting. Low DTI, low utilization, and income are major factors when it comes to approvals. Keep on fostering the relationship with them, and it'll pay off in the long run. 

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I was just excited after reading of people's SLs on their second cards. 

My income is 142,800 (just shy of 12,000 a month)

Rent is $2,500

Utilization is at 4%
I don't carry a balance. 

My scores have gone up over 100 points since January, but maybe they want more time. I guess I'll use my other cards more often instead. It seems the high SL of NFCU is not meant to be for me.  

Message 5 of 12
RSX
Valued Contributor

why not take the Apple offer?  seems like you wanted it since you applied multiple times

starting limit of $4500 is not that bad

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 6 of 12
AmericanSkin
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah, I was just excited after reading of people's SLs on their second cards. 

My income is 142,800 (just shy of 12,000 a month)

Rent is $2,500

Utilization is at 4%
I don't carry a balance. 

My scores have gone up over 100 points since January, but maybe they want more time. I guess I'll use my other cards more often instead. It seems the high SL of NFCU is not meant to be for me.  

That's very strange - considering your data points, you seem like an automatic approval by their standards. Have you tried their recon line?

Message 7 of 12
HowDoesThisAllWork
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Well, my secured Discover it card is now unsecured and my $400 limit was bumped to $1,500. It took about 6 months and was done automatically. 

I had just hit my third statement and was on day 94 after opening my first NFCU credit card. It has a $3,500 CL, and I was going to request a CLI after applying for a new card. 

Do I need a new card, not really. However, I was excited to have one of NFCUs famous high credit limits. After being denied by Apple a few times over the last year until last week where I was approved for $4,500 (I declined the offer), and with my scores in the 690s, I thought I would have not issues. 

I was wrong. 

I knew the flagship card had harder underwriting, but I figured let's go for it. After about 20 long seconds, I was denied. Well, there goes a wasted HP (just had two fall off for being over 2 years old). Perhaps I would have had better luck with the platinum card or the Amex version. 

I then decided to request a CLI. I thought they were asking what amount I'd like to add to my current limit so I put $4,000 ($7500 total), but it seems it was asking for the total amount I wanted it to end up being. 

So, did I just request a $4,000 increase or a $500 increase? I'll get their answer eventually. 

I'm just disappointed that I wasted a hard pull on a denial. 

@Anonymous 

Good evening!  So, this post is not confusing but the layout can lead to confusion (not judging, not criticizing)...

So, I am seeing two questions:  one is about Credit Line increases with Discover and then one is credit card application with NFCU.

So, I was in a similar situation with Discover.  Secured Card with Discover....mine graduated after eight months and the $500 deposit I had with them was returned and my credit limit was increased to $1,500.  I went for a CLI for four consequtive months (via my account on-line) and was denied all four times.  The reason given each time was "not enough experience with current credit line".  All good.  Magically, in September, 2021 (when the $1,500 was now in place for one year) the CLI request was approved and doubled (from $1,500 to $3,000).

It seems like I might have a chance for another CLI at 6 months.  Discover will tell you flatly that we can apply for a CLI every week.  I would not doubt that.  But, I would humbly suggest that following their guidelines is a smarter option.  So, once six months have passed I *might* cosider a CLI.  Not likely, but maybe.

I also am a member of NFCU.  I was eligible for all of their cards (well, that is a strong comment...ha! ha!....I would suggest that NFCU was simply being kind to me) and opted for the cashREWARDS (one of the lower level cards and went for "let's make sure that we get one....let's start at the bottom and work our way up the ladder").  NFCU is indeed known for "higher-ish" starting Credit Limits.  There are some "internal guidelines" for new cards, for Credit Limit increases, and for product changes.

One of the "internal guidelines" for NFCU is not only the number of days (supposedly, one needs to wait 91/3 - translates to 91 days and three billing cycles) but also the number of "full" billing cycles.  I know this from experience.  This is a bit technical.  But, the devil is in the detail and we need to be aware of this.

What constitutes a "full billing cycle"?  Simple question, right?  No, sir!  No, ma'am!  Not so simple - at facevalue - at all.

I believe that I have read all of the appropriate forums here and I believe that the "cut off" is 24 days.  If your "billing cycle" has run for 24 days, then it might not be a full billing cycle.  But, if it is 25 days, then it is a full billing cycle.  I would suggest that you investigate this for yourself, but I believe what I have suggested is accurate.  Does anyone have any different information on this point?  I welcome it....I do not want to offer incorrect information.

FICO 8 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO 9 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO Auto 8 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO Auto 9 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO Bankcard 8 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO Mortgage 2/4/5 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

Starting Score: Exp 627
Current Score: Exp 713
Goal Score: Exp 750+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 12
SirMilo
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous ,

Sorry to hear about your Navy Federal app being declined.

I have no idea why they made the decision they did since, as others mentioned, the DP's you mentioned appear to be plenty to get approved. There are a couple of things that I have to ask about from your posts though.

It appears that you have recently had a secured Discover graduate and that you have a $3500 Navy card at this time, is that correct? You also mention that you've had the Navy card (your first) for 3 months now, is that also correct? The question that keeps eating away at me is, are these the only 2 cards you have and if so, do you have any credit history, good or bad before these 2 cards? What's your age of your oldest account? I only ask because of the secured card, your listed income and your credit scores, which seem a bit low unless you don't have much credit history or have had previous credit problems.

As plenty of people have said elsewhere on this site, Navy can be an odd duck. I'm thinking that they just need more time to get to know you. Last week, I received an email from Navy saying something to the effect of "we've been together for 1 year". Because my relationship with Navy started in 10/2020 and i've had my CashRewards card now for a little over 9 months, I decided to ask for an $8K CLI this past Monday and they gave it to me even though I listed that I am unemployed with a low verifiable income- unemployment benefits (which I don't get) would have given me a better income than what I listed. I was expecting a denial (for obvious reasons) but wanted to see where Navy thought we were in our relationship. I'm not saying this to make you feel worse but I am saying it because time seems to be a very positive thing for Navy, at least in my case. I wouldn't have given me the $8K CLI but then again, I have less than 1% DTI, have scores in the 800's, never carry a balance and have been very responsible in my use of credit cards since tanking my credit 20 years ago. Other than using my Navy accounts more, my financial situation and DP's haven't really changed at all since getting the card. I think that they need more time to get comfortable with you and once they are, they will be far more receptive to your needs/desires.

Best of luck to you and again, sorry about the denial. If your CLI comes back for a $500 approval, which it probably will,  definitely recon.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RSX wrote:

why not take the Apple offer?  seems like you wanted it since you applied multiple times

starting limit of $4500 is not that bad

I'm trying to get down under the 5/24 rule to explore chase. I was going to go for Navy to get the high limit second card. 👍

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.