Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover CLI Request Denied

tag
kah-pas
New Contributor

Discover CLI Request Denied

What puzzles me even more is that they did not even offer a credit report pull, it was a flat-out denial. I have Discover IT for 1 year and 11 months now. The credit at the moment:

- 762 Fico 8 score from their own site (matches Experian's score)
- 1% utilization on $27,700.00 total CLs but
$16,814 personal loan balance & 12,698 AMEX Platinum balance
- 3 years average age of accounts
- 5 years oldest account
- Only one (1) inquiry from Jun 28, 2019, funnily enough, from Discover
- no baddies.

Credit cards & limits:
$3,000.00 Capital One Silver; $4,000.00 on WF Platinum; $4,200.00 on WF Propel (AMEX); $6,500.00 Discover IT; $10,000.00 Capital One Venture. AMEX Platinum with $30,000.00 limit but that's their pay-over-time limit, i.e not reportable.

(I am using Discover as my everyday's card. Caried the balance near CL for three months, paid in full last month. Kept using it daily.)

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Discover CLI Request Denied

What was the reason they provided on the denial? 

Message 2 of 16
kah-pas
New Contributor

"At this time we can't increase your limit..." / "The reason will be mailed to you..."

Message 3 of 16
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Ok, post the results of the letter when you receive it.  FYI - the option to HP is not often available so I'd be curious to learn what your letter states.  

Message 4 of 16
SlideOrInsert
Regular Contributor

I was denied last week because they think I don't use it enough. I almost did not use it at all last year, I've probably put $2k through it this year.

- $20k limit and I haven't requested a cli in over a year

- 128900 total limits with <7% utilization

- ficos > 790

- two paid of installment loans, one paid off auto loan

- low dti, low inqs, no derogs

upgrade
9/2022
$30000
nfcu
8/2020
$20000
nfcu
12/2018
$30000
bofa
8/2016
$30000
citi
3/2016
$21000
discover
5/2014
$20000
chase
10/2007
$8900
Message 5 of 16
Straed
Valued Member

Discover is a weird one. I've never had good luck with them. 

I would keep applying every few weeks and you'll eventually get a CLI.

Message 6 of 16
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@SlideOrInsert wrote:

I was denied last week because they think I don't use it enough. I almost did not use it at all last year, I've probably put $2k through it this year.

- ficos > 790

$2k in 6 months really isn't much. It's a little over $300/month. With ~$333 a month in spend on a $20k CL, I can see why they feel you have more than enough CL.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 7 of 16
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:

@SlideOrInsert wrote:

- ficos > 790

$2k in 6 months really isn't much. It's a little over $300/month. With ~$333 a month in spend on a $20k CL, I can see why they feel you have more than enough CL.

True enough but with it being Discover,  spending or not spending really isnt the key issue on determining who gets a cli. Yes they put that as an excuse but as per usual imo, Discover throws darts at an excuse board. Ive gotten my cl up to 16.5 and 7.5k respectively over the years and if i spend even close to 2k in a year that would have been a miracle. Pandemic Discover feels more like One Shot Wanda when it comes to cli for anybodySmiley Wink

Message 8 of 16
fpembleton1
Established Member

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

@OmarGB9 wrote:

@SlideOrInsert wrote:

- ficos > 790

True enough but with it being Discover,  spending or not spending really isnt the key issue on determining who gets a cli. Yes they put that as an excuse but as per usual imo, Discover throws darts at an excuse board. Ive gotten my cl up to 16.5 and 7.5k respectively over the years and if i spend even close to 2k in a year that would have been a miracle. Pandemic Discover feels more like One Shot Wanda when it comes to cli for anybodySmiley Wink

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover turned me down for a CLI on both of my accounts.

The reason being;

An open unsecured loan with Lending Club. Discover does not issue CLI or new cards to anyone with an open unsecured loan.

This was the reason given for my denial.

My Fico's are between 767 and 786, 2% utilization, 63 open credit cards with $844,775 open for use.

thanks

Mark

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.