Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover CLI denied

tag
SEAlifer
Established Contributor

Discover CLI denied

I just completed three statements with Discover so thought it couldn’t hurt to request an increase, just to lower my utilization. I have a $1,300 balance that I’m holding off on paying as it’s for a business trip that’s yet to be reimbursed and I’ve got the 0% APR for another 9 months. Scores are around 690-700 and income around $100K, current limit’s at $6k. Got denied without a credit check or anything. Are they just a little stingy with CLI for newbies?
AU

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Discover CLI denied

Hit or missSmiley Wink. Took me 2 years plus to even break out of my AJC Special, and im low income. Treat her right and eventually she'll throw you a lifelineSmiley Happy
Message 2 of 21
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

Their CLI is SP on your TU so Just keep trying every month if you like ideally every first monday after your statement cuts and your discover FICO score updates. That’s the best strategy with disco. Oh and don’t forget to DD whenever you get a CLI via luv button.

New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 3 of 21
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

OP, as @AverageJoesCredit mentioned upthread, there's really no rhyme or reason with Discover as far as CLIs go. Anecdotal DPs suggest that usually after 3 months there could be some potential opportunities for growth, but it's not set in stone. Eventually, you may be able to discern some pattern or trend based on your own growth.

And, while it's profile driven, take a look at this very recent thread for context:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/No-LUV-from-Discover/td-p/5710746

All you can do is manage your account diligently and try the CLI again when things are more optimal, but keep your expectations tempered.
Message 4 of 21
SEAlifer
Established Contributor

Thanks for the advice. I’m new on here; what does “DD” mean?
AU

Message 5 of 21
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

@SEAlifer wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I’m new on here; what does “DD” mean?

DD = Double dip 

Calling Discover CSR and asking for more within the same day after CLI via luv button is approved.

New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 6 of 21
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

DD is my UnicornSmiley Wink.
Message 7 of 21
SEAlifer
Established Contributor

Ok cool. Will do.
AU

Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with Discover being hit or miss. I was successful with 3 or 4 CLI's every 90 days in the beginning and I was denied on the next couple of tries and then I proceeded to try monthly. Once successful, I backed off to 90 days again. I'm due again in September. Will update when attempting again.

Message 9 of 21
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@SEAlifer wrote:
I just completed three statements with Discover so thought it couldn’t hurt to request an increase, just to lower my utilization. I have a $1,300 balance that I’m holding off on paying as it’s for a business trip that’s yet to be reimbursed and I’ve got the 0% APR for another 9 months. Scores are around 690-700 and income around $100K, current limit’s at $6k. Got denied without a credit check or anything. Are they just a little stingy with CLI for newbies?

How long has the card been carrying a balance? Are you making more than minimum payments?

Just asking because I’ve noticed in my specific case, Discover loves seeing balances go down quickly, and I’ve found Disco will reward you if you so so. 

GL2U

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.