cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover CLI on table for 2 months removed!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover CLI on table for 2 months removed!

Sort of newsworthy here, as I don't believe I've ever heard of this happening regarding a Discover CLI...

So a few months back when requesting my frequent/standard SP CLI from Discover, I was approved for a $500 CLI.  For the first time since having my account I didn't accept the CLI and clicked the "cancel request" button.  From reading on this forum I found that if you cancel a CLI request, the CLI amount still stays "on the table" for you to grab any time you want in the future, but it could potentially grow.  That's what I was after, as the $500 didn't really mean much to me and I was looking for more.

Immediately after cancelling the request, I tried another request to verify that the $500 was still on the table.  It was and I again cancelled the request.  I continued to do a CLI request about once a week for the next 2+ months, always seeing that $500 still there.  Today though, that changed.  When I did my request I got the more typical "cannot increase you credit limit at this time" message.  So, the $500 that was on the table for months somehow came off the table.  Interesting stuff and something I thought should be mentioned for others to consider that may be sitting on a CLI with Discover.

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Re: Discover CLI on table for 2 months removed!

Maybe it disappeared when they did their last AR?

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 2 of 25
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Just like their BT offers they can be there one day and gone the next.  Just proof IMO results always vary on credit and probably should of took it and tried to recon after accepting

Message 3 of 25
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Sort of newsworthy here, as I don't believe I've ever heard of this happening regarding a Discover CLI...

So a few months back when requesting my frequent/standard SP CLI from Discover, I was approved for a $500 CLI.  For the first time since having my account I didn't accept the CLI and clicked the "cancel request" button.  From reading on this forum I found that if you cancel a CLI request, the CLI amount still stays "on the table" for you to grab any time you want in the future, but it could potentially grow.  That's what I was after, as the $500 didn't really mean much to me and I was looking for more.

Immediately after cancelling the request, I tried another request to verify that the $500 was still on the table.  It was and I again cancelled the request.  I continued to do a CLI request about once a week for the next 2+ months, always seeing that $500 still there.  Today though, that changed.  When I did my request I got the more typical "cannot increase you credit limit at this time" message.  So, the $500 that was on the table for months somehow came off the table.  Interesting stuff and something I thought should be mentioned for others to consider that may be sitting on a CLI with Discover.

I wonder if requesting and declining it weekly could have been the culprit. When I declined a $700 CLI last 8-18, I didn’t request again until 9-28 which gave me a $3K CLI. Then I requested again 12-8 and got another $2.2K CLI. Just a thought. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 4 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the DPs @BrutalBodyShots!

Message 5 of 25
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Just like their BT offers they can be there one day and gone the next.  Just proof IMO results always vary on credit and probably should of took it and tried to recon after accepting

Yup. It's likely that they were allocated to those who'd benefit from them like @Jnbmom or @AverageJoesCredit for instance Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 25
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@FinStar wrote:

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Yup. It's likely that they were allocated to those who'd benefit from them like @Jnbmom or @AverageJoesCredit for instance Smiley Very Happy

@FinStar  😂😂😂

Yup I took that one, but I am sure next month you can take mine .

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 7 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Meanmchine wrote:

Maybe it disappeared when they did their last AR?

I actually don't think so, because I requested after that point in time last week and the $500 was still on the table then.  Sort of odd timing that it went away.

Message 8 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Just proof IMO results always vary on credit and probably should of took it and tried to recon after accepting

I've never had any luck with a Discover recon personally.  I got a $500 or $1000 CLI once from Discover and called asking for just $200 more to round off my limit and was told I was given the maximum available.  Not to say it's 100% that I wouldn't have gotten more, but I think my record is 0 for 3 on attempts in 3 years.

Message 9 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditInspired wrote:

I wonder if requesting and declining it weekly could have been the culprit. When I declined a $700 CLI last 8-18, I didn’t request again until 9-28 which gave me a $3K CLI. Then I requested again 12-8 and got another $2.2K CLI. Just a thought. 

That could be the case, since I did probably decline it around 10 times.  While I don't have any data on how many attempts/declines others have done, I do know that many have declined a CLI a handful (say, 4-5) of times and either seen the amount stay constant or eventually get increased, which was my plan of course. 

For data point purposes I'll go back and see how many times I declined the $500.  Then if I'm offered $500 again in the future I'll decline it that number of times in the span of a few days and see if it goes away, which could prove that X number of declines takes it off the table.  I don't care about $500, so I'll gladly do it again for the sake of science Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.