cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover CLI on table for 2 months removed!

tag
Aspireto850
Established Contributor

Re: Discover CLI on table for 2 months removed!

Well they did offer it several times and you declined so perhaps they felt rejected and rescinded their offer. 😉

Message 11 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another interesting development.  The $500 CLI that was on the table for 2 months for me that was taken off 2 weeks ago was back on the table tonight.  I went for a CLI request again and again saw $500 there for me to take.  Again, I declined it.

If I don't see the $500 offer increase over the course of the next month, I'll probably take $200 of it to round myself off to a $xx,500 limit, as the $xx,800 has been bothering me for years Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 25
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Just like their BT offers they can be there one day and gone the next.  Just proof IMO results always vary on credit and probably should of took it and tried to recon after accepting

Right. Accounts get reviewed periodically and your credit isn't static. For any number of reasons, an offer can come and go. This case is just another example of it, and I would simply chalk it up to that.

What another poster mentioned -- the constant requesting a CLI and declining the result -- could have also been part of it, too. It may have triggered a review after so many requests. Most consumers aren't going to "play with" the button like that.

Message 13 of 25
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

Those $500 CLIs do add up. I've accepted $3K worth of them.
Message 14 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ChargedUp wrote:

It's all relative I suppose.

If all I ever received was $500 CLIs, no doubt I'd accept them all.  When I usually receive $3k-$4k CLIs, a $500 CLI is something I have no problem passing up.

Message 15 of 25
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@ChargedUp wrote:

It's all relative I suppose.

If all I ever received was $500 CLIs, no doubt I'd accept them all.  When I usually receive $3k-$4k CLIs, a $500 CLI is something I have no problem passing up.

I've had much larger CLI's on Disco, for sure... But with the low amount of spend that I've been putting through my Disco I don't really expect much more at this time. The CLI's I receive seem to equate to whether I put a lot of spend through or (for the past couple years) just my car insurance.

Which leads me to ask, has there been any change in your Discover spending patterns?

Message 16 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ChargedUp wrote:

I've had much larger CLI's on Disco, for sure... But with the low amount of spend that I've been putting through my Disco I don't really expect much more at this time. The CLI's I receive seem to equate to whether I put a lot of spend through or (for the past couple years) just my car insurance.

Which leads me to ask, has there been any change in your Discover spending patterns?

Nope, no changes.  My experience with spend and CLIs is opposite yours in that I believe there is zero correlation between the two, at least on my profile.  Some of my biggest CLIs have come after periods of the lowest usage and I know that's been the case for many other forum members as well. 

Message 17 of 25
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

Not talking from any experience, but maybe, just maybe, when customers start reaching the limits of a bank's willing exposure they shrink the CLIs just to be able to continue to keep the customer happy.

Appears others have expereinced this when they approached maximum limits. Again, this is just from reading the threads here.

On a macro note:

Eurodollar futures and Libor futures suggest there is a dollar shortage despite all the easy money policies. I have no idea if that is relevant, but the FED is prepared to further ease the money condition in a full employment environment. Something is going on.

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 18 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mikesonthemend wrote:

Not talking from any experience, but maybe, just maybe, when customers start reaching the limits of a bank's willing exposure they shrink the CLIs just to be able to continue to keep the customer happy.

Appears others have expereinced this when they approached maximum limits. Again, this is just from reading the threads here.

Could be, you never know.  I've seen $500 CLIs from Discover before (and accepted them) only to receive a $3k-$4k CLI a few months later... so at least for me it's tough to tell if this is just another $500 CLI pitstop along the way to a larger one again, or if I've indeed reached a ceiling.  Since it's only $500 that's why I've been declining it.  Also declining one isn't something I did for the first nearly 3 years of having my account, so I was just curious what would happen if I did.  There were reports from many members that after declining a [low] CLI a bunch of times that the offer on the table did eventually grow, so that was something I was hoping would happen.

Message 19 of 25
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

"

Amid a rise in both interest rates and consumer debt, two credit card issuers – Capital One and Discover – are tightening their grip on how much credit they’re making available to consumers.

In an attempt to reduce financial risks, Discover has “selectively” closed inactive accounts representing about $30 billion in credit limits since early 2017, executives said Oct. 25 on the company’s quarterly call with Wall Street analysts. Capital One also has trimmed the number of dormant credit card accounts in its portfolio.

Meanwhile, both Capital One and Discover are being more strict with credit limits for new cards as well as increases in credit limits for current accounts. (Generally speaking, credit card issuers are free to cut your credit limit at any time without telling you.)

Bruce McClary, vice president of communications at the National Foundation for Credit Counseling, said Capital One and Discover are “attempting to limit their risk in an environment where more and more people have been opening lines of credit in recent years.”

McClary said it’s unclear, though, whether other card issuers already have joined – or eventually will join – Capital One and Discover in curbing credit limits and unused accounts. But the actions by these two issuers might signal “less generosity” in terms of credit availability for current and future cardholders, he said."

#JustSayingAboutTighteningUp

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.