Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover CLI success for anyone?

tag
Hockeypnc1
Established Contributor

Discover CLI success for anyone?

I read a lot of posts that people are getting frequent and hefty credit limit increases with their Discover iT cards.

I got the card back in September 2017, but every single request (for increases) I have tried online and over the phone have been denied. After about 11 months, they auto increased me from $1,800 to $2,200, but since then I have asked for increases and they all are denied.

I have used my card responsibly, carried a bit of a balance but paid it down to below 30 percent now. I have scores of about 640-650 according to recent score retrievals.

What does Discover want from me to get my limit increased? I would really like to get it higher to help with utilization rates.

Message 1 of 84
83 REPLIES 83
Rogue46
Established Contributor

Re: Discover CLI success for anyone?

Discover seems to have their own method of doing things. Some are able to get nice increases while others like myself only get $300 or so each time. I don't really have an answer for you just my experience.

Message 2 of 84
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

There are probably hundreds of threads asking the same thing. Nobody knows. All we know is they like heavy use and for you to utilize what they've given you. If you're only using $300 a month, they're probably not giving you anything more. But again, for some people, they didn't start get increases until they stopped using their card. No rhyme or reason to it.

Message 3 of 84
Hockeypnc1
Established Contributor

So it's a mystery! No one knows and it's just luck, I guess! 

Message 4 of 84
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Hi OP

I honestly don’t know where you’re reading these posts about people getting hefty and frequent Disco CLIs. (We wish).

From one of our favorite posters @AverageJoesCredit, he describes the Discover CLI process as a “bunch of monkeys in a back room throwing darts” 😂🤣 (don’t quote me verbatim) to determine when and in what amount a CLI is granted—no matter your scores, no matter length of time you’ve had the card, no matter usage, no matter if PIF! And there are seemingly many posters who agree with him. Me included.

Disco cannot be pinned down. There are all kinds of reasons for their denials. The most frequent one is “Not enough experience with credit limit.” Say what? And when one is approved, it could be a measly $500. Okay, I digress, something is better than $0!

Now, I’ve been kind of lucky starting at $3.5K in 2016 and now at $15.7K. But I’ve also gotten many, many of those denials. Once I got $700 but declined it. A week later I hit it again and got $2,200. Just last week, I got a “no soup for you!” Yep, extremely unpredictable Disco is.

So, many of us on the forum have come to accept it—well maybe—and come to the conclusion that there’s no rhyme or reason for Disco’s algorithm. So you just have to keep bashing the CLI button (no HP) like the rest of us and hope one day your luck changes.

GL2U

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 5 of 84
Hockeypnc1
Established Contributor

They're probably mad having to send out these denial letters too. 

Message 6 of 84
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

All we know is they like heavy use and for you to utilize what they've given you. If you're only using $300 a month, they're probably not giving you anything more.

This isn't true above.  The best increases I've gotten have come from months where I've used the card very little, (say) $5-$200 total, where months that I've given them a $3k+ spend I didn't see anything CLI wise.

Message 7 of 84
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Hockeypnc1 wrote:

They're probably mad having to send out these denial letters too. 

Nah, I've got over 60 and have built my limit up pretty solid.  The squeaky wheel gets the grease and their computer sending out denial letters doesn't waste any human beings time.

Message 8 of 84
Hockeypnc1
Established Contributor

Darn Discover. Besides that first year match of cash back, which I used as a credit card payment, they really haven't been all that valuable to me.

Message 9 of 84
Anonymous
Not applicable

for me at least, the best success with getting larger increases is making large payments and frequent payments throughout the month. For example, if I only make one payment during the month, on the next request they will only give me a low increase, if i make about 4/5 payments throughout the months, they give me high increases. Im not sure if theres a method to my madness but ive doubled my limit in 6 months doing it this way. 

Message 10 of 84
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.