Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover CLI success for anyone?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover CLI success for anyone?

No Disco luv for me lately either. In November I needed to carry an $850  balance and stuck it on my Disco since it's still 0% APR til July. Disco is not diggin it. Only one increase since then. Before then I was at least getting some small increases every couple of months. 

Message 21 of 84
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

Are you an exception, or the norm? It's also why I added after that statement that some people didn't get growth until they stopped using the card. A member here just posted a thread where Disco gave them a huge CLI because their card was about to be shut down for non-use. I've never seen that before.

I'm neither the exception or the norm.  People have success and lack of success both with heavy spends and little to no spends.  Your statement however was of the blanket variety that if they person above wasn't spending much that's probably why they haven't gotten a CLI.  With Discover, that's not true, which is why I replied.  Your reference of the thread above only punctuates my point, as that member didn't use his Discover card for ~9 months and received a "please start using us again" 3X CLI from $3000 to $9000 on their account.

Message 22 of 84
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

Bear in mind that it'll be a futile effort to discern any patterns or try to figure out how Discover really works.

While I think that's generally true when comparing different profiles between members, I do think that on a long enough timeline (several years or longer) one may be able to begin to discern patterns on their own account.  For example, a pattern I've seen twice on my account in the ~3 years I've had it is a period of 6-10 months with no CLIs at all, followed by a 6 month period with 3-4 CLIs coming during that span.  I have also received (and not received) CLIs both when my spend was both heavy at > $1000 for several cycles and when my spend was nothing or next to nothing for several cycles... so to me, spend is irrelevant on my profile, where time in one form or another is. 

My statement wasn't referring to comparing member profiles.  We all know, at least the vast majority on here, that no profile is alike and any results can vary from one person to the next.  It doesn't matter whether one decides to place heavy spend, BTs, apply "tough love" or decidely do nothing.   The pattern reference was in relation to tranches, not individual accountholders or their profiles.

While there may be a baseline for how you have evaluated your results, it's not something that the general public, let alone millions of Discover accountholders can truly rely upon.  Product segmentations (aka buckets) also determine how some portfolios are evaluated internally. 

There's also literally hundreds of thousands of complex algorithms that evaluate different things across mutliple products, so potentially this is why a variety only get approved for $100, $200, $300 CLIs while others receive a higher CLI of $500 or even higher, for instance.  Some are successful with being able to "double-dip" while others will not.  Spend can generate auto-CLIs or customer-initiated CLIs for X number of customers, while for other segments may not the case.  Time is a constant for all scenarios, but invariably IME, spend has generated the best results from both auto-CLIs to self-inititated ones for my own 2 Discover accounts (not by leaving it dormant for any period). 

Message 23 of 84
Hockeypnc1
Established Contributor

If only Discover could tell me how I can get approved for an increase.

Do they want me to pay it down to zero?

I got it below 30 percent finally, it was at over 60.

I haven't been swiping it at all, just paying it. Literally sending them small payments every day pretty much.

Message 24 of 84
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Hockeypnc1 wrote:

If only Discover could tell me how I can get approved for an increase.

Do they want me to pay it down to zero?

I got it below 30 percent finally, it was at over 60.

I haven't been swiping it at all, just paying it. Literally sending them small payments every day pretty much.

Everyday? Why? This I don’t understand. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 25 of 84
Anonymous
Not applicable

My last Discover CLI was last month for $1500. The card was just past the three year mark. Normally, I wait well beyond what a lot of posters put as the time to request. I also always pay off my balance and then immediately request a CLI. Discover has never given me an auto increase. Good luck!

Message 26 of 84
Omw800
Contributor

Since 2011 maybe 12, I’ve been through hoops with Discover, even on the verge of closing the card. They wouldn’t increase my limit, very low to start with ($800). Roughly, 2016 they decreased my balance to ($600) because my Credit score dropped for a late payment. At one point I would only make the minimum payments because I stop caring. In June 2018 I decided to pay half the balance every month, they gave me an auto increase with a SL of $900 October. 3 months later January 2019, I pushed the auto button and was giving a spending limit of $1400. Now 2 months later March 2019, I pushed the auto button again and they offered me a spending limit of $2100 but this time I declined. Holding out for a better offer on a soft pull. However, the good news is with 6 months I was for 3 credit increases. I will say the I’ve actively maxed the cards out and paid in full. I purposely do this to show I’m capable of paying a high balance responsibly and need a higher limit. My strategy has been working for me. All my request have been soft pulls, i don’t request hard pull at all, NO EXCEPTIONS. The increases have been small ... However, they’re finally giving my the opportunity to grow with them financially. Hope this helps
Starting Score: 640
Current Score: 697
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 27 of 84
Omw800
Contributor

I’ll also note I negotiated my interest rate of 25% to 14%
Starting Score: 640
Current Score: 697
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 28 of 84
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:

My statement wasn't referring to comparing member profiles.  We all know, at least the vast majority on here, that no profile is alike and any results can vary from one person to the next.  It doesn't matter whether one decides to place heavy spend, BTs, apply "tough love" or decidely do nothing.   The pattern reference was in relation to tranches, not individual accountholders or their profiles.

While there may be a baseline for how you have evaluated your results, it's not something that the general public, let alone millions of Discover accountholders can truly rely upon. 

I understand that.  Your post isn't really relevant to what I was saying, though.  Your statement suggests there's no use in trying to figure out Discover as a whole.  My argument is who cares about the whole, as what matters to the individual is what work with respect to their personal account.  That being said, one can potentially discern what "works" or "doesn't work" with respect to Discover and their personal account over a length of time.  Whether something that works for Individual A also works for Individual B really isn't relevant to Individual A in the grand scheme of things, but Individual A can still post what they feel may be relevant data that Individual B (or C-Z) may or may not find useful.

Message 29 of 84
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got my first CLI a few days ago.  I had requested one back at in January and it was denied and this last one was only a 1.5k increase (my SL was 10k back in Sept) I do use this card heavily and pay it frequently thourghout the month.  I was a bit disappointed with what was offered but still accepted it and will see if they offer more next month. 

Message 30 of 84
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.