Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover CLI success for anyone?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover CLI success for anyone?

Wow. That's just downright mean. I'm talking country-song-blues kinda mean. They straight up shot you down ruthlessly. Did they ever give reasons behind their decisioning??
Message 51 of 84
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I’m at $1,000 CL since 2004. Yes. 15 years ago. Same CL. Every time I get denied. I’m debt free in Nov so let’s see if that helps. Was close to closing the account but it’s my oldest.

Well I’m going to look at your glass as 3/4 full. 15 yrs ago I swear I think my first CC may have been $500, if not less,  so it seems you were way luckier in 2004 than a lot of us. 😉 Just my funny 2cents.  

So my question is what has been going on in your credit profile over the last 15 years?

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 52 of 84
Anonymous
Not applicable

For the very first CLI, did you request it or did they give it to you auto? I'm on my 3rd month and waiting for my 3rd statement to generate. Not sure where to go from there at this point
Message 53 of 84
joltdude
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I’m at $1,000 CL since 2004. Yes. 15 years ago. Same CL. Every time I get denied. I’m debt free in Nov so let’s see if that helps. Was close to closing the account but it’s my oldest.

Sounds like your card might be bucketed.... If your scores are good.. another option if you like discover but not the limit is app for a second card... If you have good/great scores now, you have good odds of getting a much higher CL...and/or room for growth...

-J

Message 54 of 84
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's my progression since I first got my card (Spring 2015): $2,400 (starting) >> 3,100 >> $5,100 >> currently $8,100 -- just got the latest a few days ago. Card was about 75% utilized for at least 24 months. I've never requested an increase; they just give them to me every so often. I typically paid about $400 on the balance that was riding, and then this year I've made a couple of $1K+ payments. I will be able to PIF next month. :-) 

Message 55 of 84
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's some pretty strong growth via just auto-CLIs, having never requested any yourself.  There are many people that even requesting CLIs don't see that success, so you've made out well.  I imagine if you were requesting CLIs in addition to your auto-CLI's that your limit could possibly be around double what it is today... just food for thought.

Message 56 of 84
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have only had my Discover IT Miles card for about a year and have gotten two CLI's. Both requested by me. Two Yays, and about a Redwood tree worth of denials to go with them. The first came after 6 months and some heavy use, (put all travel expenses through it when we evacuated our home during Hurricane Florence last year). That CLI was $500 and my FICO8s were all about 695 at that time. Denials for the following 4 months. Then last month, I decided to try again... Offered $500 again... Declined. Immediately requested CLI again, got a $5000 offer, and accepted. 

As always YMMV!

Message 57 of 84
Raiderguy8
New Contributor

Would like to share my history with Discover CLIs. 

• I got the card on 12/5/16 with a starting limit of $3000
  • First CLI was 1/10/18 - Raised to $7000
  • Second CLI was 7/11/2018 - Raised to $8500
  • Third CLI was 4/3/2019 - Raised to $12700
  • Fourth CLI was just now - Raised to $19700

I have rarely used the Discover card beyond the first year once the cash match period was over.  Just some occasional 5% quarterly usages.  Balance had been at zero for a while until a couple months back I did a balance transfer of $2500, of which I have paid down ~$400.  So, with very little usage, Discover has never turned down one of my CLI requests.  Hope these data points are helpful to anyone reading this thread.

Message 58 of 84
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

Disco treating me like we were dating for 3 months. I guess we got married. Nothing since.

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 59 of 84
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice progress! Were these auto CLIs? It's been about a week since my 3rd statement cut but no word on an auto CLI. I just got approved for an AMEX with the same limit. I'm not sure if I should wait for AMEX to grow or try to grow Disc first.
Message 60 of 84
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.