Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Denied CLI due to Cash Advance

tag
Jon85
Frequent Contributor

Discover Denied CLI due to Cash Advance

Hi all,

So I've had my IT card for 6 months now. After the 6th statement cut, I request CLI online and it said error, so I called into request it and they did a SP, and it was denied. I was told by a credit analyst that it was denied due to me taking a cash advance from an ATM a month ago for $300 (which I paid back 4 days later).

I was at JFK airport for international travel for a week, and I literally only brought my Discover card and license and passport with me. I had forgotten to bring my Amex with me because I usually SD it. Anyway, my luggage was too heavy so I had to pay an extra $240. They did not accept Discover as a payment, so my only option was to take a cash advance and pay the fee. I had no option to pay it--I only went with my Discover card because I have a bank account in Turkey that I withdrawl from whenever I am there, so I literally don't bring any cash with me to the airport because I "normally" (lol) don't need to since I'm only going through the gate, on the plane, and then straight to my apartment when I get there. 

And then when I got to Turkey, a few days later I saw that it had posted, so I paid it right away from my checking account.

How long will these effect my chances for a CLI? I didin't think a cash advance was THAT horrible of a thing, considering it's there for an emergency, when you're in a spot where your card isn't accepted. I've always PIF since I had this card but my limit is only $1,200, one of my lowest limits.

Any opinions on how long to wait or what I should do to up my chances?

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
KSK1912
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover Denied CLI due to Cash Advance

@Jon85 wrote:

Hi all,

So I've had my IT card for 6 months now. After the 6th statement cut, I request CLI online and it said error, so I called into request it and they did a SP, and it was denied. I was told by a credit analyst that it was denied due to me taking a cash advance from an ATM a month ago for $300 (which I paid back 4 days later).

I was at JFK airport for international travel for a week, and I literally only brought my Discover card and license and passport with me. I had forgotten to bring my Amex with me because I usually SD it. Anyway, my luggage was too heavy so I had to pay an extra $240. They did not accept Discover as a payment, so my only option was to take a cash advance and pay the fee. I had no option to pay it--I only went with my Discover card because I have a bank account in Turkey that I withdrawl from whenever I am there, so I literally don't bring any cash with me to the airport because I "normally" (lol) don't need to since I'm only going through the gate, on the plane, and then straight to my apartment when I get there. 

And then when I got to Turkey, a few days later I saw that it had posted, so I paid it right away from my checking account.

How long will these effect my chances for a CLI? I didin't think a cash advance was THAT horrible of a thing, considering it's there for an emergency, when you're in a spot where your card isn't accepted. I've always PIF since I had this card but my limit is only $1,200, one of my lowest limits.

Any opinions on how long to wait or what I should do to up my chances?

Hi Jon, greetings from a Turk! Smiley Happy

I think that is soo not fair that they give you the CA option and you use it in an emergency and get panalyzed for it. How old is your Disco card and how is your limit? Would you say it is one of your most important cards or can you live without it? The reason i am asking is, i would definitely write to their EO, and explain them the situation, and tell them what good is a card benefit if you will be punished for using it, especially that is due to their card being not accepted. What would they expect you to do, leave your lagguage at the airport? That's ridicilious. Since Disco has never let me in thru their doors, i would have no idea how long it would take them to forget about the Cash advance, but it gets resolved to your satisfaction.

6/14/15: Equifax 576 Experian 542 Transunion 571
8/17/15: Equifax 626 Experian 619 Transunion 622
9/28/15: Equifax 655 Experian 636 Transunion 641
11/11/15: Equifax 698 Experian 687 Transunion 672
Short Term Goal Score: 720 Across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Are you free Tuesday..?
Message 2 of 25
n777ua
Established Contributor

I'll never understand why lenders give you a CA option if they frown upon it.  I've heard several stories of AA, CLI's denied etc over the years due to using a CA on a card.  I'm convinced the only reason the option is even there is just so the banks have another tool to determine if you are a good risk or not.  

"Oh, he/she has so little cash they need to use our card, no credit for you!" Smiley Very Happy

About $215,000 total credit among 11 cards
Message 3 of 25
KSK1912
Valued Contributor

@n777ua wrote:

I'll never understand why lenders give you a CA option if they frown upon it.  I've heard several stories of AA, CLI's denied etc over the years due to using a CA on a card.  I'm convinced the only reason the option is even there is just so the banks have another tool to determine if you are a good risk or not.  

"Oh, he/she has so little cash they need to use our card, no credit for you!" Smiley Very Happy

You're right. It reminds me of what a friend of mine had told me when we were talking about loans and such one day, long time ago. He said, the banks will loan you the money if you can prove them you don't need it Smiley Happy

6/14/15: Equifax 576 Experian 542 Transunion 571
8/17/15: Equifax 626 Experian 619 Transunion 622
9/28/15: Equifax 655 Experian 636 Transunion 641
11/11/15: Equifax 698 Experian 687 Transunion 672
Short Term Goal Score: 720 Across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Are you free Tuesday..?
Message 4 of 25
n777ua
Established Contributor

In college I took a $40 CA on a Discover card for no other reason than I'd never done it and wanted to see what the process was like. (I was stupid and knew nothing about how credit worked)  2 days later my $5000 CL was cut to $3000.

YMMV.

About $215,000 total credit among 11 cards
Message 5 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow! All these years I've been trying to get in with Discover, but always denied. Now, I'm very glad that I don't have their card. They seem pretty scary.

Declining increases, because you have the nerve to use their money....lol. Decreasing limits, because you have the nerve to use their promotional balance transfers. Giving you big clis, but will reduce it, if you have the nerve to actually use it....lol!! 😃
Message 6 of 25
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

That's actually a fairly well known NO NO very often warned against in these forums (and others) with any lender in spite of no matter how well we manage our card accounts otherwise.

I dunno exactly why but it immediately RAISES A RED DANGER FLAG doing any cash advances and makes for strikes against cardholders who do them.

Message 7 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

That's actually a fairly well known NO NO very often warned against in these forums (and others) with any lender in spite of no matter how well we manage our card accounts otherwise.

I dunno exactly why but it immediately RAISES A RED DANGER FLAG doing any cash advances and makes for strikes against cardholders who do them.

+1, CM7

Message 8 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I always thought they would think you have no funds and you need the cash.  I have never taken one and Cap One will give you half.  Just too afraid of what just happened to you.  Sorry to hear.  I woudl definitely try and call and explain that to them.  Especially since you paid it right back!  They never make any sense to me.  But could be why most give you small cash advances?  Discover is normally pretty cool with things.  If at first you get a lousy rep, try and call back for another.  

Message 9 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I always thought they would think you have no funds and you need the cash.  I have never taken one and Cap One will give you half.  Just too afraid of what just happened to you.  Sorry to hear.  I woudl definitely try and call and explain that to them.  Especially since you paid it right back!  They never make any sense to me.  But could be why most give you small cash advances?  Discover is normally pretty cool with things.  If at first you get a lousy rep, try and call back for another.  

+1

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.