Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover IT Student CLI & Account Conversion Frustration

tag
Cpmcmxc
Established Member

Discover IT Student CLI & Account Conversion Frustration

I have had my Discover IT Student (unsecured) since August of 2019, and aside from a 90 day period when I carried a balance on my card, the balance has been paid in full each month. After hitting my anniversary date of 1 year in August of 2020 I applied for the card graduation and a subsequent CLI. The CLI was denied due to insufficient history with current CL. Since then every 30 days I have submitted a new CLI request, and each time the request is denied with similar reasons.

Last week I applied and finally got a new reason for rejection, (not exact wording) "insufficient experience with real estate accounts, balances too high on real estate accounts." Problem here is I do not own any real estate and there are no real estate loans on my CR. **bleep**.

I am starting to get a little discouraged that I may be stuck with this same limit forever. Has anyone else had a difficult time converting their accounts? Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Starting Score: 640
Current Score: 677
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Current Cards (03/2021):

Golden One Platinum Rewards - $3,000

Discover IT - $1,000

Chevron/Texaco Advantage - $1,600

Apple Card - $1,500

American Express Everyday - $2,000

American Express Gold - NPSL

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover IT Student CLI & Account Conversion Frustration

Hey.

I have the same student card, since the same date as you, Aug 19. I began with $1,000 CL, and after 6/7 months my limit was auto increased to $2,200, then it happened again after about another 7 months, this time it was increased to $3,300.

I dont recommend this but, I was floating a balance on the card, only due to having an active 0% promo on my account. I was also putting some good spend on the card, I really kicked it up a notched after my 1st increase. I put like $6,000 of spend within a span of 4 months. This happened when covid really hit the economy and banks were tightening their purse. These auto increases were odd if im honest, especially during that time period. 

I strongly suspect me carrying a balance and cycling my limit many times during several statements granted me these increases.

Just my experience, again I dont recommend carrying a balance. 

Message 2 of 4
Duke_Nukem
Established Contributor

Are you trying to convert your Disco IT from the Student version to the regular version?  If so, then you may be having difficulty converting it because of the date you entered for completing your degree when you applied for the card.  My eldest DD's student Disco auto-converted to a regular account based on the date she entered for her expected graduation date when she applied.  See if you can update that info or reach out through their Chat line to talk to a representative.

Disco CLI's are mysterious, and I don't think anyone has been able to figure out their CLI process for approvals.  Both of my DD's Disco cards received auto-CLI's based on their history with Disco, but I can't remember if they've asked for CLI's themselves.  I imagine a lot of Disco's consideration for CLI would be based on your history with Disco, FICO scores, and income (especially as a student).  My youngest DD only entered income between $10-16K, but has received about 3 auto-CLI's in the past 2 years having the card (I think she is around $3500 CL on her Disco at this moment... starting around $1200 in Feb 2019).

Fingers crossed you get some good news from Disco!

Message 3 of 4
Cpmcmxc
Established Member

@Duke_Nukem wrote:

Are you trying to convert your Disco IT from the Student version to the regular version?  If so, then you may be having difficulty converting it because of the date you entered for completing your degree when you applied for the card.  My eldest DD's student Disco auto-converted to a regular account based on the date she entered for her expected graduation date when she applied.  See if you can update that info or reach out through their Chat line to talk to a representative.

Disco CLI's are mysterious, and I don't think anyone has been able to figure out their CLI process for approvals.  Both of my DD's Disco cards received auto-CLI's based on their history with Disco, but I can't remember if they've asked for CLI's themselves.  I imagine a lot of Disco's consideration for CLI would be based on your history with Disco, FICO scores, and income (especially as a student).  My youngest DD only entered income between $10-16K, but has received about 3 auto-CLI's in the past 2 years having the card (I think she is around $3500 CL on her Disco at this moment... starting around $1200 in Feb 2019).

Fingers crossed you get some good news from Disco!

First off - thanks @Duke_Nukem and @Anonymous for the votes of confidence! Also, sorry for the delay in responding to this - I've been neglecting my mentions.

I will say, I do have an update. I called and spoke with Discover customer service, and apparently they said my account graduated to a full fledged Discover IT card, however it did not qualify for a CLI on account conversion (which they normally do). When I asked about why the account didn't qualify, she informed me that based on my latest soft pull from the month prior they were still showing balances on a few cards (which have since been PIF), as well as some high balances on some loans (student loans on hold because I am persuing my masters). Her reccomendation was to wait until my soft report fully updates showing my new total balances on all my accounts and try again.

Here's the kicker: As mentioned before I recently paid all my accounts in full, which resulted in my FICO 8 score jumping significantly - approximately 60+ points. I decided to go on a mini app spree to increase some of my existing lines as well as getting some new cards to replace my sub-prime cards - and low and behold Discover preapproved me for a second card with a SL 3.5X my existing lines.

I decided to take the second card offer, and I then called customer service to see if they could use my recent HP to process a CLI request since it had the most recently updated information. After speaking with underwriting, their team informed me that the system would now consider my second card as a CLI based on the total line with Discover as a whole - effectively telling me that the request would be denied, as a "request" for additional credit was already approved. Additionally, they confirmed that my new F8 profile qualified me for a request at any other time, but because that second card was issued - they would not be able to issue a second request.

TL : DR - I guess I got what I ultimately wanted - just took a much longer route to get there.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.