Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover IT denial after months of fine preapprovals

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover IT denial after months of fine preapprovals

So.. I wasnt sure I wanted to open another card, but hubby and I both decided we should get one more.

We both have had fine preapprovals with discover for months now, showed It and chrome options and gave a specific rate

Hubby (who has a bit worse credit than me, but basically only because his capital one card is at 500 and mine is 750 limit)

Apped, got 1500 approval

I got denied. They told me it was for a "late payment" on Experian. So I pulled my Experian (I should have no lates) and NO LATES!

Called and they told me it was because of my bankruptcy.... the same one on my hubbys report 🙄😑🤔

Not sure when to even try again.

After I was denied, I tried the prequal out of sheer curiosity and I was STILL preapproved. Smh
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover IT denial after months of fine preapprovals

Sorry, you got denied. You were prequalified and not preapproved. While it is a good indicator you are potentially a future card member, it is not solid. BKs are a big deal to certain creditors. 

Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sure, I get that
It's crazy though that my profile is better than my husbands and he got the okay and i didnt.
I'm glad he did for sure, but it sucks when the reason they give makes no sense after watching him be approved with the exact same thing.

Disco is notorious for BK not being that big of a deal to open a card. She said the preapproval is 98% accurate

Hooray! I'm in the 2% lol and no idea when I will be okay since they arent typically someone that has a timeframe to wait after bk

Mostly data points, it can give you a specific interest for months and you still are not approved. A lot of people on the forum say "you ar good to go" when you see that. It's good to have out there that it's not always true. Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

And yes it was late when I wrote this and I was bummed.. it was a prequal. Sorry I cant seem to change it
Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry about your denial, I would be bummed too. I've had the discover secured for nearly a year now and they still haven't graduated me, even though there's plenty of other examples on here of folks with bk getting unsecured at 7 months. No late payments, always pif, haven't paid interest at all. Sometimes it seems like the way they approve/deny things is just so random. Maybe you can try again once your bk is past a year?
Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just double checked my screenshot and it says PREAPPROVED 🤷‍♀️ nowhere does it say prequal.
So for anyone out there, it can say that and you can still be denied 🙄
Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah thought about it, if I dont find another card this month I'd rather try for.

We want to buy a home so I was hoping to not have any HP after november at the latest. Smiley Sad was super peeved it said preapproved (and I double checked, it's a preapproval, and STILL says I'm preapproved) but nada. Oh well.
Message 7 of 19
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Have you thought about Navy?
Message 8 of 19
ocheosa
Valued Contributor

@AllZero wrote:
Have you thought about Navy?

+1

@Disneymom234 You are more than 6 months out from your initial NFCU card (2/2019). Why not app for a 2nd card? Would most likely be a higher SL and better APR than Discover. From what I've read lately, you can call and ask a CSA if you have any preapprovals in the system to save on a hard pull.

[4/24] Scores 8/9: 700-800s. Util: 1-2%. Inq/12: EQ 0, EX 3, TU 2. AoOA=15.8y, AoYA=8m.
TCL $678.5K: Personal $562.5K, Business $116K.
Message 9 of 19
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

This has become more frequent lately. Disco used to be pretty solid. But its popping up more and more. Saying your pre-approved and then denied. Sorry bout that @Anonymous 

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.