Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover It card offer any good?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover It card offer any good?

Received a mailer from Discover today (my first offer from anyone). I've read that the generic offers with the huge point spreads are worthless and it seems to matter what color card is on the offer.

My offer has the spruce colored card with 0% Intro APR for 12 months, then 13.24-17.24%, no annual fee, Cashback Match first year offer. Get 5% cash back in categories that change each quarter, match all cash back you've earned at the end of your first year.

I've read that if it's a 3 point spread, it's a pretty solid offer. Mine is 4 points. Also I checked their site for an offer and it's just the generic offer.

I do not have a score yet, as I'm only 4-5 months into my journey. I have zero negatives, 2 secured cards and 2 secured shared loans. So what do ya think?
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Discover It card offer any good?

Have a very good shot if you dont have negatives and new to credit.. Discover likes people like you especially the new to credit aspect.  Just my opinin, I believe you would be approved

Message 2 of 15
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

My mom got one today too. Same % and everything. As long as your credit looks the same or better as it was when they pre-qualified you, your golden. 

Experian: 677 (28) | TransUnion: 697 (27) | Equifax: 684 (6)
Gardening as of: 1-23-2018
Updated 1-25-18
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

No changes on my report. I have 1-2 inquiries depending on which agency. I'm currently at 4% utilization on 1 card and zero balance on the other card
Message 4 of 15
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

I'd say your good to go.

Updated 1-25-18
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you have a good shot
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I apped and was prompted to call and verify information. So I called and wasn't even asked to verify anything. Was immediately told my app was denied, but I could do some kind of joint application or something. Told them I wasn't interested.

I must say it was quite disheartening. I guess I will crawl back under my credit rock for a while longer. 🤕
Message 7 of 15
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

I am sorry to hear that..  A bit suprised, please let us know the reasons when you get the letter.  As anything with credit nothing is guranteed.  Even people in the 800's Fico scores get denials on ocassion.  No one pretty much will ever bat 100, so don't give up as your credit is still fairly news.  Stilll a bit shocked with the denial as you are an ideal person for discover.

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also got denied the discover it card. Same sequence of events too. Called to verify info, denied. I even have a CSP, Ink plus, Quicksilver, and Freedom unlimited with no derogs, 100% payment history, 14 accounts, including 2 paid off auto loans, and I've been denied by discover twice now in the past 2 years.

I am a business owner and have a merchant account that does $2000 a day in credit cards. As of yesterday I no longer will accept any discover cards.
Message 9 of 15
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

I too am surprised. I too would be interested in the reason. And don't give up. When you do finally get in you will like the card. If they want a joint applicant then its probably short credit history. Give it 6 months and try again. 

Updated 1-25-18
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.