Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover It or Chase Freedom!?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover It or Chase Freedom!?

Hey guys! Today I have officially hit over 6 months of good generated credit history and I am running at a 3% utilization! 

I am now focused on getting another credit account to make my file a little thicker, plus I am open to different/cooler rewards! My only problem is I don't know whether I should apply for the Discover It or the Chase Freedom!

Here are some stats about me: 

0.62 AAoA 

724 credit score (TU)

2 inquiries (One EX and other TU) 

$18,000 annually 

19 years old

One (and first) credit account opened May 2014- BOA Cash Rewards Platinum Plus $750 CL - 3% utilization currently

I'd really like both of these cards and I am not sure if I should apply for both of them the same day due to the fear of one getting a denial. I heard that it's okay to go on an app spree (such in my case, it would be two) if the card companies pull different bureaus? 

Also, I heard that Chase likes to see about 1 year of history. What are my odds of getting the Freedom card with 6 months of history and having no connection with them (checking, savings, CD, etc)?

Please help me out here, FICO'ers! Smiley Very Happy

Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
HiLine
Blogger

Re: Discover It or Chase Freedom!?

Your chance of getting the Chase Freedom with only 6 months of history is slim to the bone. So probably Discover It.

Message 2 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Politely disagree. Your chances of getting Chase Freedom are decent but the starting CL may be low. I say that based on personal experience since they approved my Freedom with zero history, but take that with a grain of salt as I may be an outlier in this situation. Dont really agree with the "Chase likes to see one year of history" mantra since it seems to vary. Personally, now that I have both I find that Discover is more useful to me but I still enjoy having both and will be keeping both Smiley Happy You can apply for both at the same time but they may each pull multiple bureaus. Some are lucky and only have one pull with both and some are not so lucky, such as myself. Both were double pulls for me and I've read of others who had the same experiences. Good luck

Check Chase website for pre-qualified offers. Discovers I wouldnt consider accurate

Message 3 of 31
uswala
Senior Contributor

Also consider the fact that you have merchants accepting Discover in your area as it is not as widely accepted as Visa.

Message 4 of 31
HiLine
Blogger

@Anonymous wrote:

Politely disagree. Your chances of getting Chase Freedom are decent but the starting CL may be low. I say that based on personal experience since they approved my Freedom with zero history, but take that with a grain of salt as I may be an outlier in this situation. Dont really agree with the "Chase likes to see one year of history" mantra since it seems to vary. Personally, now that I have both I find that Discover is more useful to me but I still enjoy having both and will be keeping both Smiley Happy You can apply for both at the same time but they may each pull multiple bureaus. Some are lucky and only have one pull with both and some are not so lucky, such as myself. Both were double pulls for me and I've read of others who had the same experiences. Good luck

Check Chase website for pre-qualified offers. Discovers I wouldnt consider accurate

Can you elaborate on your situation? What made you an outlier when it came to applying for the Chase Freedom?

Message 5 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HiLine wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Can you elaborate on your situation? What made you an outlier when it came to applying for the Chase Freedom?

By outlier I mean that contrary to what I see so often on this website about Chase wanting to see history before approval them actually approving me with no history at all would have made me an outlier if the former is true. And Im not sure if it is or isnt. All I know is they offered me $500 with a double pull on EX and EQ with scores of 586 and 639, plus a fraudulent collection on EX I wasnt aware of at the time Smiley Surprised No recon necessary

Message 6 of 31
HiLine
Blogger

@Anonymous wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

By outlier I mean that contrary to what I see so often on this website about Chase wanting to see history before approval them actually approving me with no history at all would have made me an outlier if the former is true. And Im not sure if it is or isnt. All I know is they offered me $500 with a double pull on EX and EQ with scores of 586 and 639, plus a fraudulent collection on EX I wasnt aware of at the time Smiley Surprised No recon necessary

Sounds to me like you did not have "no history at all". The collection is part of your credit history, good or bad ...

Message 7 of 31
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

We really can't tell you the odds for either.  All we can say is that 6 months and an AAoA of 0.62 is very low.  2 inquiries is a fair number for a thin profile like that.  It's really your call if you want to app for one, the other or both.

Having inquiries on different CRA's may help but you also have to consider that any creditor can make multiple pulls for borderline situations so I don't recommend relying on that.

Message 8 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Geez, it's a tough one. I definitely don't want any negative inquiries! 

Message 9 of 31
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

An inquiry is an inquiry.  It's a hit regardless whether you're approved or denied.  Positive and negative are irrelevant.

Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.