Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Pre Approvals! Finally! - Update: Approved

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover Pre Approvals! Finally! - Update: Approved

Wow so excited, started my credit rebuild journey about a April 2017 now Im 700s all across the board! Mind you, I was mid 400s last year!

My Equifax is at 713 and decided to pre apply for Discover and the Discover IT Cashback + Chrome appeared!

The APR says 24.74% after 1st year, it seems quite high. Does this mean my limit will be low?

Should I wait a few more months and try to improve my profile a little bit? 

Im also at 1.5 year AAOA , 15% util , and NO derogs! 

Also, how are my chances with PenFed lol? 

Mod note:  I've updated your subject to reflect your approval; feel free to change/edit if you would like.  --UB

19 REPLIES 19
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Discover Pre Approvals! Finally!

You never know with Discover . You could be the chosen few and get the big 10k approval or get the hey I'm average Joe 1k approvalSmiley Wink. Penfed is another beast. They either like what you offer or they dont. The less credit you have I believe increases your chances with Penfed. ImoSmiley Wink
Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I say go for it! Disco seems to favor being your first prime card and then wants to be your main usage card. They were my biggest approved SL after going on an app spree and only having subprime cards.

Amex only gave me the measly $1K, but Citi and Disco gave me $6.1K and $6.5K to start. Haven't even had my Citi DC for 90 days yet and after my 2nd statement cut, hit the luv button and was instantly approved for another $2K, bringing my CL to $8.1K with them.

My scores were around the same as yours back then when I apped for these cards so I'd say you have a good chance of getting approved and possibly for a decent SL. However, I do think my income had something to do with the SL as well.

As for your APR, that is usually decided based upon your credit file. If it is thin, they more than likely will give you a higher APR in my experience, no matter what your score is. Basically, you don't have enough experience with credit cards so they're taking a chance with you. I've seen on here where people with high scores get denied because their files are thin. Your SL will reflect a lot upon your income as well because they need to know that you can afford to pay it back. Once again, your score isn't all that is considered when they offer you these credit lines.

So, GO FOR IT! And post back here to update us. Good luck! Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 20
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Congrats on your journey OP! As Joe said, Disc can be all over the map with approvals limits. Me personally, I say go for it. It has a good chance to grow and with SP CLI's. I also have Penfed, but I would say they tend to be a bit more tight on some things, depending on what kind of limit you are looking for. As with all of these situations, ymmv.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 4 of 20
peghede
Valued Contributor

Ive seen discover card pre approval with high apr (they do that especially on 1st card) and approved with high sl.so it's possible.

Im not going to comment about penfed.

Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone! Been a lurker forever and just created an account here. (Thanks everyone for my lurker education, it has helped me get to the point I’m at today.)

My Disco experience as a rebuilder in a nutshell:

- 7 years of divorce cleanup where my ex hub was terrible with money and credit but controlled the finances. My good credit took a very hard hit (FICO plummeted to 590s)

- Paid off all CC debts myself over several years. Was credit shy after that and opted for no CCs, paid cash for everything, and lived debt-free. Thought that was the way to go; didn’t realize that would hurt me in the long run.

- Couldn’t get an auto loan in April ‘17 bc I had *no credit profile* (Pre-marriage mortgage—gone. All my pre-marriage auto loans—gone. Gone gone gone.) Had to get a co-signer for my auto loan.

- Aftet a few months of on time auto payments, I started getting CC offers in the mail. I hadn’t seen one in years. Ended up with a Cap One Platinum card with a $500 CL and I was ecstatic. PIF every month.

- After ~6 mos asked via online chat if I could swap it for a Cap One Quicksilver; got approved for that and CLI to $1500. I was over the moon.

- Rec’d (in the mail) an invitation to apply for the Discover IT card (with an invitation code). Read about it on this forum. Went in their site and got pre-approved. Decided to pull the trigger and apply, with a HP. DENIED. Never got a reason!!

-Last week (which was about 4 mos after my denial) I decided to try again, HP and all. APPROVED with a $10.5 K CL, 17.99 APR starting September ‘19. To say I was shocked is a gross understatement.

Looking forward to the 12 months of double rewards. I’ve heard that Disco is fickle and now I believe it.

So in a nutshell, be prepared for an initial denial, but that doesn’t mean denied forever. Or...you will get a great rate and CL this time! Best of luck to you.

-chinto
Message 6 of 20
dpsyche4
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi everyone! Been a lurker forever and just created an account here. (Thanks everyone for my lurker education, it has helped me get to the point I’m at today.)

My Disco experience as a rebuilder in a nutshell:

- 7 years of divorce cleanup where my ex hub was terrible with money and credit but controlled the finances. My good credit took a very hard hit (FICO plummeted to 590s)

- Paid off all CC debts myself over several years. Was credit shy after that and opted for no CCs, paid cash for everything, and lived debt-free. Thought that was the way to go; didn’t realize that would hurt me in the long run.

- Couldn’t get an auto loan in April ‘17 bc I had *no credit profile* (Pre-marriage mortgage—gone. All my pre-marriage auto loans—gone. Gone gone gone.) Had to get a co-signer for my auto loan.

- Aftet a few months of on time auto payments, I started getting CC offers in the mail. I hadn’t seen one in years. Ended up with a Cap One Platinum card with a $500 CL and I was ecstatic. PIF every month.

- After ~6 mos asked via online chat if I could swap it for a Cap One Quicksilver; got approved for that and CLI to $1500. I was over the moon.

- Rec’d (in the mail) an invitation to apply for the Discover IT card (with an invitation code). Read about it on this forum. Went in their site and got pre-approved. Decided to pull the trigger and apply, with a HP. DENIED. Never got a reason!!

-Last week (which was about 4 mos after my denial) I decided to try again, HP and all. APPROVED with a $10.5 K CL, 17.99 APR starting September ‘19. To say I was shocked is a gross understatement.

Looking forward to the 12 months of double rewards. I’ve heard that Disco is fickle and now I believe it.

So in a nutshell, be prepared for an initial denial, but that doesn’t mean denied forever. Or...you will get a great rate and CL this time! Best of luck to you.

-chinto

This is totally encouraging - I have several derogs right now that I am taking care of - one at a time and to be honest I JUST pulled up a pre-approval and was told that there is a card that they have available for me (Green-ish Discover IT card). So I'm totally stoked but, am caught on the fence on whether I should do it now or later since my credit score is at 584 trans 590 ex - AND I am currently due for an auto increase for Cap One QS1. 

Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Glad you’re encouraged! My instincts say (and I’m no pro) to sit back a few months, work on the derogs, and let your numbers come up. Slow and steady, it’ll happen! Good luck to you 💪
Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Remember what we talked about, you got this! Good luck!
Message 9 of 20
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

I doubled my CL within 7-8 months, so even if you start "low" you may not stay there!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.