cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover blacklist for satisfactory account on which they took adverse action

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
New Contributor

Discover blacklist for satisfactory account on which they took adverse action

I have a fairly strange situation with Discover.

I had a Discover IT card from approximately 2015 - 2017. I hadn't used it for many purchases but I did take advantage of a promo BT. I always paid on time, generally about 2x the minimum if I recall correctly. Never an issue with them at all; the account was always handled perfectly. I believe the CL was about $8,000.

About two years ago, I had a couple of late installment payments. One of my revolvers was at a high utilization at the same time, so the lates had a huge impact on my FICO, especially when they were fresh. I believe my score went from ~750 to ~620. Within a few weeks of the score drop, I received a letter that they were immediately reducing my credit line to $500, and would be closing the account completely on a future date (about 30 days from the date of the letter, if memory serves). No problem, I figured. I only used the card for a couple BTs anyway. I paid the balance in full (~$6,000) a few days after I got the letter.

Since I am the curious type, I've twice checked for pre-approvals on their web site. Both times I've received the message:

We are not able to provide you an offer due to the following:

STATUS OF EXISTING / PRIOR DISCOVER CARD ACCOUNT

The message does also say "Our credit decision was based in whole or in part on information obtained in a report from the consumer reporting agency listed below." My FICO is about 750 now. 5% util, the two aforementioned lates are 18+ months old now.

I'm posting this more for others because I am not at all fussed about getting another Discover Card. I just find it weird they'd blacklist someone when the prior account was handled perfectly.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Discover blacklist for satisfactory account on which they took adverse action

If the account was closed as a result of AA, in their eyes it was not handled perfectly 

They will get over it in time, should you decide to give it another try.  They are just a tad bit salty at the moment 

EX 759 EQ 774 TU 753

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.